Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Haitian Immigration roundup on again?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the Haitian Immigration roundup on again?

Is the Haitian Immigration roundup on again?

I was on my way to work this morning for Cabarete passing through Los Charamico's and noticed that the Police were stopping the Guagwa's and rounding up all the Haitians and putting them on the back of pickup trucks. Some were being handcuffed and many were trying to run away.

I haven't seen this kind of roundup in about 15 or so years when they used to do this at the Puerto Plata stadium on a regular basis and deport them.

Was this an isolated instance or is this going to be the norm once again?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post

I was on my way to work this morning for Cabarete passing through Los Charamico's and noticed that the Police were stopping the Guagwa's and rounding up all the Haitians and putting them on the back of pickup trucks. Some were being handcuffed and many were trying to run away.

I haven't seen this kind of roundup in about 15 or so years when they used to do this at the Puerto Plata stadium on a regular basis and deport them.

The government anounced that they were going to do a round up after January 6th.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's happening in the capital too

My friend was on the bus going to Bani from the capital, and they stopped her bus to check for Haitians. She also said they got rid of my favorite fried rib/chicharon shack on autopista 6 to bani which was run by a Haitian lady.....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What I heard on my favorite radio show is that yesterday tens of vehicles transporting illegals Haitians were towed to the police station located in Santiago in order to open an investigation, trafficking illegals or just giving a ride to a non documented Haitian in the DR territory should be risky at this time.
    migration officer are looking for them as many "Juntas de vecinos" of Santiago city said if the government department will not enforce the immigration laws they will take action and will start pushing the Haitians out of their neighborhoods....

JJ

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post

I realy hope they are doing a very good job.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question: Yes, there is a move to begin repatriating the hundreds of thousands of undocumented Haitians that have come over since the earthquake.

It seems ironic that with so many good construction workers here, and the reconstruction of Haiti getting underway (too slowly) there, that there is no move back to Haiti...

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I was walking down on of the busier streets in POP with my wife when a police truck came screeching to a stop beside me, a bunch of cops jumped out and were arresting Haitiens who usually sell things on the road there and confiscating there stuff. Took me a second to figure out what was going on and it scared the crap outta me at first as I haven't been here that long and wasn't sure what was happening. Thats was less than 1 week ago.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I realy hope they are doing a very good job.
    And that it is continuing, not just a short-time thing with everybody coming back when the crackdown ends.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Makes good business sense because they are still letting totally undocumented Haitians come across the border on Guaguas for 7k pesos all in - bribes, payoffs and transport included - fully sanctioned, organised and expedited by the border guards.

I hope the border guards are kicking back to the immigration guys who are rounding up these people - just wouldn't be right otherwise.

And I am sure it will be nice for these Haitians to be home to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the earthquake.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The Haitians are more corrupt than the border guards taking the brides because the Haitians paying these guards should know by now that if caught they will be expatriated back to where they came from. Therefore, the Haitians are worse off for corrupting the Dominican guards, while trying to achieve their desired destination, the only thing they accomplish is lose their hard earned money.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast