Best hotel for teens (one with autism) in Playa Dorada development?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebkr

Oct 11, 2004
I am taking my two sons to Puerto Plata for a week in February. My 12 year old has high-functioning autism and will be sticking with me and doing pretty simple stuff. He will like a nice pool, a decent room, TV, reasonably good food choices. Our other son is 14 and will want to have age-appropriate fun, so I thought that the Playa Dorada area would have the greatest concentration of activities, teens, a movie theater, etc. First of all, is the idea of Playa Dorada a reasonable idea for this or are other resorts better?

Any thoughts about the best of the hotels there if it is? I would like a reasonably clean room, safe resort, good food that need not be fancy. Don't need heavy drinking gangs of twenty-somethings, wild social life... but then again, don't want a place that is dead. Family-friendly, clean, accommodating. I guess that is what I have in mind. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have read so many pros and cons on tripadvisor.com that I don't know what to do.

I'd appreciate any thoughtful advice about a place that is big enough to entertain but not out-of-control......

Also, flying into Santiago and looking for safe and reliable transport to and from airport....

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
Before I moved here I stayed in Playa Dorada 3-4 times. Each time was a pleasant experience and I would stay there again. My wife works at Barcelo and used to work at Allegro hotel. I stayed in Allegro, rooms were kinda old and could use some updating, but overall they were nice. Not the Hilton, but spacious and very clean. I know that hotel closed, and I heard it re-opened, but I don't know about that. According to my wife the accomodations at Barcelo are quite a bit nicer. There is usally a very good crowd there with plenty of security and won't stand for drunken idiots. So a place you could feel comfortable to leave your 1 son off on his own to have fun. Playa Dorada itself is gated off from the city, with plenty of hotels, a nice beach, little shopping centre, etc. Like I stated, my family and I were always pleased staying there. As far a transportation from the airport, you mentioned you were coming in from Santiago? Going straight to POP. In that case you would have to take a taxi to Metro/Caribe tours bus lines. And then a taxi from there to the hotel. Always ask the taxi for the price up front, so there is no surprise or dispute.

ebkr

Oct 11, 2004
Thanks for the tips. Playa Dorada sounds right for my situation.

I appreciate all the advice I get on this forum.

simona

Dec 30, 2010
Hola ebkr,
i got your private message and sent you one back.....we can also offer you the airport transfer if you don' t have one yet.......let me know
simona

Reactions: waytogo

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Gran Ventana has a walk in pool and is a hotel of quality on a flat beach.

I prefer Gran Ventana out of the 3 hotels I've been at in Playa Dorada. (Gran Ventana, Victoria and Barcello). It's beautiful and they have daily and nightly entertainment, good food with a selection of restaurants and they have a kids club with activities your sons may enjoy. If you want to get away from the noisyness of Gran Ventana the sister hotel, Victoria has quieter pools mainly catering to older adults...but if it's quiet you want....you'll find it there. Barcello is nice too but it's right next to Coco Bongo, a night club...and you can hear the noise when you're trying to sleep. I've read complaints from others on here about that. Just something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.