Is the DR safe for Canadians that want to live outside the all inclusive seen.

oilrigr

Nov 30, 2010
we would like to know if the dr is really safe for young canadian male travellers. planning on staying for 3 months.

May 5, 2007
NO Bad news for Canadians

we would like to know if the dr is really safe for young canadian male travellers. planning on staying for 3 months.

Absolutely NOT! US Citizens only, they eat Canadians :)

seriously, from my experiences, as long as you stay out of the areas you wouldn't venture into at home, you will be fine

I realize you meant any foreign traveler, but your headline caught me as funny in reference to meaning "Canadians only"

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Whirleybird. Please delete my entire "sanitized" post.

Jeez. Can't we have fun anymore? Very Lame :tired:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirleybird. Please delete my entire "sanitized" post.

Jeez. Can't we have fun anymore? Very Lame :tired:

Your wish is my command. "Fun" is most definitely encouraged but so, also, is the relevance to the OP's question who only joined the DR1 community in November 2010 so would presumably have no knowledge of the incident from over a year ago to which you were referring.

oilrigr

Nov 30, 2010
oh come on guys please share as what happened. and sorry for postion as canadians....i mean foreigners.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What happened, if memory serves, is that someone was flashing a wad of money, got taken on a ride and ended up in Boca Chica, almost naked and broke! Or something like that....no matter.

Read what I posted on another thread and heed my advice and the advice of others. Do not, ever, believe what a Dominican who lives, or works in the tourist areas are telling you. You are meat on a platter, a ticket out of here, a ticket to Paradise...like I said, go SLOW...

Is is safe? Yes it is, just be sensible and do not stagger around drunk or you could end up nekkid in a cane field...wondering WTF???\

HB

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Read what I posted on another thread and heed my advice and the advice of others. Do not, ever, believe what a Dominican who lives, or works in the tourist areas are telling you. You are meat on a platter, a ticket out of here, a ticket to Paradise...like I said, go SLOW...

Interesting way of wording. Here I thought that the reason most Americans, Canadians and Europeans in general came to the DR was because they were looking for paradise. Didn?t know the country they were fleeing was paradise:(

Last edited:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
The vast majority of Dominicans are great human beings and will give you their last chin-chin de cafe. That's ultimately why I am living and working here.

Unfortunately, there are a few who prey on unsuspecting foreigners. (That occurs in any nation there are tourists, and is especially true in developing countries where tourists arrive.) Those who prey know where to find the prey animals and know how to single one out from the herd.

As you make more concrete plans, search DR1 for specific locations that will be best for you. And don't hesitate to ask questions. Not everyone on the board will always be polite, but you will get helpful advice.

A few question that would get you some better advice:
What is your age?
What is your gender? (This is a very macho culture)
Do you speak Spanish fluently?
How much money are you planning to spend here?
Are you planning to remain in one location or stay in different places while here?
What are your interests? (Mountain hiking, bird watching, drinking and carousing, swimming and snorkeling, etc.)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
And another thing about Canadians: they have some damn good beer. Especially in Quebec.

If it weren't for the 30 meters of snow every winter, I'd consider moving to Quebec City.

To the OP: Could you bring a case of beer when you come? I prefer what the Quebecois call "biere noir". I think it's actually ale, but it is damn good.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey TOOBER!! The idea is not to scare this guy, who I don't think scares easily, he's an oil rigger fer cirssakes!! Just give him some pointers on how to have fun and how to stay out of trouble..

Nobody wants to delete anything or ban anyone...especially at the start of a new year..I got you humor...

And did the Canadians win the Juniors?? I remember last year it was like 5-0 in favor of the Canadian team...a few years ago the Americans won it to the surprise of all!!

I won a few cigars on that one!!

HB

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Hey TOOBER!! The idea is not to scare this guy, who I don't think scares easily, he's an oil rigger fer cirssakes!! Just give him some pointers on how to have fun and how to stay out of trouble..

Nobody wants to delete anything or ban anyone...especially at the start of a new year..I got you humor...

And did the Canadians win the Juniors?? I remember last year it was like 5-0 in favor of the Canadian team...a few years ago the Americans won it to the surprise of all!!

I won a few cigars on that one!!

HB

Thanks HB. I?m an Oil Rigger too and as such have shown special attention to our new board member.

Forgive me, but it boils me to no end when I am censored for no reason etc.

Everyone should know that I received a DR ?Infraction?, whatever that is, from Whirleybird for my post on this topic.

And I really have no bad blood, but I think a good share of my posts have been geared to help other DR1?ers, and not concentrated on selling pigs.

Maybe my time is up.

Maybe its time for another infraction.

Reactions: AnnaC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's all settle down...

TOOBER_SDQ, you win no points for posting your grievances about a mod on the board. If you have an issue, PM me directly and I wil resolve it.

Your not the first to get an infraction and will not be the last :)

I get the humor, but I think we have all moved on from that soap opera.

Carry on...

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Let's all settle down...

TOOBER_SDQ, you win no points for posting your grievances about a mod on the board. If you have an issue, PM me directly and I wil resolve it.

Your not the first to get an infraction and will not be the last :)

I get the humor, but I think we have all moved on from that soap opera.

Carry on...

Thanks Bob....

I don't need your points.

It's people like me that make you site worth visiting. You know, you decide.

I like contributing. I think I'll carry on.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
May calm Heads (on beers or not) prevail...

My grandaddy was a wildcatter...small world.

HB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Canadian Beer isn't bad, and that's from Me, the German,
ay least it's 10 Times better than anything their southern neighbours 'name' Beers.
and the Best:
those Canucks have Tim Hortons Coffee and Fantastic People.

btw,
they are the best Northamerican Hockey Players.

almost Time to prepare a Timmy's for breakfast, lol.

Mike