Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Online retail stores in RD that accept credit cards online?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Online retail stores in RD that accept credit cards online?

What online retail stores in RD accept credit cards for online payment?

I've been checking several online retail stores (local stores and chains), and all of them either do not accept credit cards online, or they only do bank transfers. For example, Ikea (which is a US chain) does not accept online credit cards.

Is this a coincidence, or is there a reason for this?

Thanks.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Little point but just for accuracy IKEA is not a US chain, its a Scandinavian one!

Stay Frosty!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vmhatup View Post
    What online retail stores in RD accept credit cards for online payment?

I've been checking several online retail stores (local stores and chains), and all of them either do not accept credit cards online, or they only do bank transfers. For example, Ikea (which is a US chain) does not accept online credit cards.

Is this a coincidence, or is there a reason for this?

Thanks.
    The problem is not fraud, it's the cost and know how.

Cardnet and Visanet own the local market, dealing with them for online transactions is a nightmare, plus their fee's for online are ridiculous.
    Plus most local chains here, don't have the expertise to implement online transactions.

The only company I know that is doing any volume online locally is SuperCasas / SuperCarros. They had to jump through hoops to make that happen.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts.

@JDJones: That's really a problem with anyone that processes credit card transactions. I'd assume there's a much fraud here as in any other country.

@Robert: I understand what you're saying, but I find it really hard to believe that only a handful of people in this whole country can open a merchant account in the US and process their transactions with them. Unless there's something I'm missing...

I'm about to open an online site with decent volume, and my payment processor is in the US. But I haven't seen any sites with payment processors and I refuse to believe that I am one of only a few people with the foresight to use an external merchant account instead of using local options. I mean... Ikea doesn't know how to implement an external payment processor? C'mon...

With so many US merchant accounts, there has to be another reason why nobody here uses them.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, to open US merchant account you must have a US registered company, You must have a credit history in the USA. you must have a US social security number. That's just to start an application process. And that's you answer why they do not use US based merchant accounts.

There are offshore based methods but they are more expensive and also usually require you to have offshore based company and bank account and discount rates charged by processors for these offshore accounts are quite high.

There are also other options like Paypal and Google Checkout, but there are some restrictions and you must have US based account to work via those companies. Also there are nightmare stories about Paypal freezing accounts and keeping the money. SO many people do not even attempt that way.

Now for big chains, they could certainly use offshore processors or even their home-country processors, and many companies like Worldpay can process many world currencies. NO DOMINICAN PESOS though and that is the problem, people do not want to be charged in dollars or euros for their local purchases they do in pesos. It adds about 3% to the purchase price for currency conversion fees when their DR-pesos based card is charge din dollars, and about 6-7% for a pesos-based card to be charged in Euros.

Stay Frosty!
    Post Thanks / Like

Opening a merchant account or working with a 3rd party processor are two different scenarios. It's not so easy for small local businesses here to get a USA merchant account. 3rd party accounts are easier, but then you have larger fees.

Most local transactions use local cards in RD$. Local RD$ cards do not work outside of the DR, hence the reason we have local processors like Cardnet and Visanet.

Yes, more and more Dominicans are getting international credit cards that are linked to offshore banks that USA card processors will accept, but this is still the small minority of those that purchase goods and services locally.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Credit Card payment processing

Can someone tell me how then I would order something from IKEA, Santo Domingo, have it delivered to Cabarete and pay for it at the same time? I am not in the D.R. right now but I still need to order some things. Can it be arranged with our local IKEA here, paid for here and delivered there through the D.R. IKEA? Any thoughts? Can it be done by interbank transfer? Some thinking outside the box might work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies.

I already have a payment processor with a US bank, but my only concern is how Dominican visitors will react when I charge them.

Let's say an item costs 37 pesos. Before I process the transaction, I have to convert to dollars. So, if the current rate is 37 pesos=$1, I will charge the visitor's credit card US $1 for the item. The visitor's credit card bank will then have to convert that US$1 back to pesos, and chances are the rate will be slightly different.
    The bottom line is that what I charge him will be different to what he sees in his CC statement, and that'll spell trouble for my business.

Is there any way I can avoid this type of problem?

Thanks.

Stay Frosty!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rendul View Post
    Can someone tell me how then I would order something from IKEA, Santo Domingo, have it delivered to Cabarete and pay for it at the same time? I am not in the D.R. right now but I still need to order some things. Can it be arranged with our local IKEA here, paid for here and delivered there through the D.R. IKEA? Any thoughts? Can it be done by interbank transfer? Some thinking outside the box might work.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    You can pay online with your credit card at IKEA.

Their system is "clunky" to say the least, but it appears to work.

Try this: Servicio de Transporte - IKEA Santiago

Stay Frosty!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vmhatup View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

I already have a payment processor with a US bank, but my only concern is how Dominican visitors will react when I charge them.

Let's say an item costs 37 pesos. Before I process the transaction, I have to convert to dollars. So, if the current rate is 37 pesos=$1, I will charge the visitor's credit card US $1 for the item. The visitor's credit card bank will then have to convert that US$1 back to pesos, and chances are the rate will be slightly different.
    The bottom line is that what I charge him will be different to what he sees in his CC statement, and that'll spell trouble for my business.

Is there any way I can avoid this type of problem?

Thanks.
    They are used to that

Just make sure you make them aware and you shouldn't have a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast