Some thoughts about my first trip to DR.

A

Adam Michelena

Now that I have had a chance to reflect on my first trip to DR, I can not see why I would want stay in an "all inclusive resort".
I saw so much more, and experienced so much more. I guess it's all in the way you want to travel. I think I got a better dose
of culture though. I'm sure travelers have their own reasons to go to an all inclusive. I would like to hear them. I did speak to
some very nice people that were staying at a near by resort. They could not believe their was anything to see, or to be safe beyond the walls (compound) of their resort. Any thoughts?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hello,
Nice pictures!!!
We just returned from the DR North Coast and did stay "All Inclusive".We did a lot of day trips on our own by taxi, it was great (some times a little scary but not bad).I did find in the all inclusive resort that the entertainment staff seemed pissed at us because we had better things to do with our day (see the country) than play games.We met a lot of local pepole and found them very friendly.
Regards,
Robert

R

Reyna

i stayed at an all inclusive but spend 90% of my time out exploring the country, which was nice to see everything and still come back to a nice resort at night. when i return this year i think i'm going to stay at a smaller hotel or b&b since i plan to do a lot of traveling within the country. the all inclusives are nice, but once inside you don't really experience the true dominican culture and see how most of the people live unless you venture out.

H

hlywud

Agree and Comment

But when you are at an AI, nothing says you need to stay there and eat and drink and party.
Get out, tour ,travel by taxi or bus and see the real DR. It is a wonderful country with great people.
Use the AI as your base camp and their facilities when you get tired of moving about the countryside because I guarantee you fatigue will set in.
Most of all enjoy your trip to the DR.

H

Henry

Another Comment

Just keep in mind - the resort managers want you to spend your bucks within their compound, so they have their share of it!

I personally traveled throughout the country and know, what are a lot of people are missing!

The Dominican Republic is so diverted between graslands, Rainforest, dry regions with endemic cactuses - you will just love it! (Apart from the beaches)

Keep traveling!!!

R

Reyna

Re: May I suggest Sofy's B&B in POP - it's great!

anyone know of any good B&B's near Boca Chica or in a nice area of Santo Domingo??

W

Walker

Todo incluido

El sistema de todo incluido creo es util para un tipo de persona, para otro no.
Para los que buscan su cuota anual de sol en las playas de esta parte del Caribe sin interes en nuestro estilo de vida, las verjas del resort todo incluido le son un valladar contra impuerezas en el ambiente, la remota posibilidad de un asalto a la luz del dia y choferes abusadores de los que no esta exento totalmente nuestro sistema de transporte informal.

Pero, los que sienten especial satisfaccion en conocer la comida tipica de un pais, folclore, forma de pensar popular, paisajes, el turismo de aventura y movilidad encuentra puntos atractivos en dominicana, a granel.

Desde Sosua y con trasponte relativamente seguro y confiable en un dia se puede disfrutar la comida al borde la laguna Gri-Gri en Rio San Juan, idilica cueva de las golondrinas (caverna con cayo en el medio y millares de golondrinas arriba, especial para el idilio).

Via Santiago el Pico Diego de Ocampo, con orquideas endemicas.

En Santiago el Museo del Tabaco, como se cultiva la hoja en Villa Gonzalez, como se envasa el ron, y en Juana Mendez (Haiti)
donde los vigilantes dejan entrar desde Dajabon (Dominicana) como viven los haitianos similar a como lo hacian a inicios del siglo pasado.

Aunque si las condicione$ lo permiten, vagar de dia y dormir en el todo incluido de noche, no parece mala salida...

B

Bill

Re: Agree and Comment

Hlywud - you have hit the nail right on the head. When we go south we prefer to stay at an AI, mainly so we have a handle on the majority of the cost. However, we also know that by staying only on the resort we are missing an opportunity to learn about another culture. We aren't over-adventurous, but we always hop on the bus, go into the nearest town or into the country and see how the Romans live. Then it's back to the resort to relax - truly the reason we are there in the first place. But I always recommend to anyone that goes to DR to explore - meet the people and enjoy.