68.5% importduties on a surround system?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Can this be that much?

I bought a surround system on Ebay for US$ 715 and now Customs wants me to pay almost US$ 500 on import-duties!

Is this correct?

Jan 9, 2004
A general rule of thumb...

Can this be that much?

I bought a surround system on Ebay for US$ 715 and now Customs wants me to pay almost US$ 500 on import-duties!

Is this correct?

when dealing with customs....is 50% tax on an items retail price. Note that this is not how they calculate it...just a general guideline.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
They got ya!

If you kept up a little more with DR1 you would not be surprised and victimized.
That's DR customs. If you have a smooth talking Dominican connected person you might get it reduced by talking with them. Good luck.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have been looking for a surround sound system (something more upscale than the typcal stuff at Pricesmart or Plaza Llama) without success. I do know a small store in Santo Domingo that has good systems but is there anything in Santiago? I know I can forget about POP or Sosua.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
surround is nice, great actually, i've got 52" with nice surround, i stopped using it after about 6 months, the TV itself sounds good, but, i gotta mess with two remote contols, need batteries in at least one, or i could read the directions and figure out how to do it with one, plus the Wii, internet, i can't figure out my wifes smartphone. i'm busy, i'm also a violinist, i know and appreciate sound. save your money and go see it en vivo "live"......or maybe i'm just old and grumpy,,,,,,,,compared to the many tech savy younger players on this board........................same hold true for jacuzzis, ya love em for the first few months and then they get covered up and collect leaves.