The talk around Pueto Plata this week has been that bread will be going up 40%?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I've read in the paper's that food will be rising significantly world wide but is this correct or just a rummer. A 40% increase in bread next week would be terrible here!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I've read in the paper's that food will be rising significantly world wide but is this correct or just a rummer. A 40% increase in bread next week would be terrible here!

No change in bread. It's Brugal and Barcelo that are raising prices. (At least thats the rummer.)

Reactions: Bronxboy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Diesel went up over RD$5.00!! You can bet bread, publi-cars, and everything else!!

Electricity is now RD$10.28 kw/h, up from 9.24 in November!!!

Yeah, we are getting screwed, but good!!

HB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
we've been over 10 per KW/hr since very long here,
will be interesting to see the New Bill now.
it still ddin't arrive,
maybe it's now too heavy to deliver it on Time, lol.
it is a simple calculation:
if Fuel Goes UP,
everything else goes Up.
any kind of product, what ever it may be, depends on the Fuel Costs.

Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MIke: Yes, I know that the Spanish company out there has higher rates, but you are not a part of the national electricity grid and you have extremely few blackouts. So it is worth it!

Here, in Santiago for example, on our 24/7 circuit, we regularly get at least two 4 hour blackouts a week, at $165 a gallon for diesel (more or less) that adds another $4000 to the electricity costs...each month....reality is a b!tch...

And there is little recourse...

HB

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
MIke: Yes, I know that the Spanish company out there has higher rates, but you are not a part of the national electricity grid and you have extremely few blackouts. So it is worth it!

Here, in Santiago for example, on our 24/7 circuit, we regularly get at least two 4 hour blackouts a week, at $165 a gallon for diesel (more or less) that adds another $4000 to the electricity costs...each month....reality is a b!tch...

And there is little recourse...

HB

You get 4 hours of blackouts in Los Jardines? WOW did know the Jardines got blackouts, and 4 hours at that. :confused:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Snide remarks aside:
Perez Figuereo, one of the transportation syndicate bosses, just told a nation-wide audience that the government is charging prices as if oil was at $160 a barrel, just to get more of our tax money. There is no legal basis for the price of fuels as they are now.

When the government spin-doctors announced the "flexibilization" of LPG prices, I told my students in class:"You are screwed! Just watch!"
Since then, the price has nearly quadrupled!!! RD$91 and change!! a gallon.

Now, dearest Mrs. HB walks in and tells me that one of those little coffee packets has gone up to RD$10.00. Over 100% increase at the local colmado.

HB

Reactions: MikeFisher

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Snide remarks aside:
Perez Figuereo, one of the transportation syndicate bosses, just told a nation-wide audience that the government is charging prices as if oil was at $160 a barrel, just to get more of our tax money. There is no legal basis for the price of fuels as they are now.

When the government spin-doctors announced the "flexibilization" of LPG prices, I told my students in class:"You are screwed! Just watch!"
Since then, the price has nearly quadrupled!!! RD$91 and change!! a gallon.

Now, dearest Mrs. HB walks in and tells me that one of those little coffee packets has gone up to RD$10.00. Over 100% increase at the local colmado.

HB

HB. It was explained to me a few years ago by somebody in the gubmint that a good share of the gasoline that ends up at the pumps is purchashed by the gubmint from the "spot" market. Which in it's most basic form, means that they pay for a tanker's fuel at that days price; ie. no discount.

So if a tanker sets out from Houston headed for DR, the price the DR pays for the gasoline is the street price in Houston + shipping costs. A pretty bad deal if you ask me.

IMO, building some refineries or restoring what we have and importing crude on long term discount/fixed contract is a better option.

When I lived in Nigeria, one of the 3 refineries shut down. Within a few days the costs of EVERYTHING went up. I think it is a healthy reaction overall. Less gubmint medling with the market.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right Luis,
We usually do not have any blackouts here, and I willingly pay the bit of extra bill for that kind of service which is a rare thingy here on the Island.
the only unexpected blackouts we have here are maybe 3 per year when some drunk completely knocks down a Pole on the Road, and even then within 2 hrs something, they get ya connected again and all is running fine.
3 times per year they have their Planta Maintenance Day,they send a written notification about that to your home 2-3 days prior mentioning exactly the Day and Hours we will be without the elec, no complaint on the services.

Toober,
You should do a bit more research on the way the Fuel reaches the country, how and by whom it is treated, who makes the bucks on it etc etc.

yes, the simple every day stuff people need from the Colmadon is exactly what is skyrocking at this moment, and that's what effects the Citizens of this country, and most of them very hard because they do not have the bucks in their pocket to cover.

Mike

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
right Luis,
We usually do not have any blackouts here, and I willingly pay the bit of extra bill for that kind of service which is a rare thingy here on the Island.
the only unexpected blackouts we have here are maybe 3 per year when some drunk completely knocks down a Pole on the Road, and even then within 2 hrs something, they get ya connected again and all is running fine.
3 times per year they have their Planta Maintenance Day,they send a written notification about that to your home 2-3 days prior mentioning exactly the Day and Hours we will be without the elec, no complaint on the services.

Toober,
You should do a bit more research on the way the Fuel reaches the country
, how and by whom it is treated, who makes the bucks on it etc etc.

yes, the simple every day stuff people need from the Colmadon is exactly what is skyrocking at this moment, and that's what effects the Citizens of this country, and most of them very hard because they do not have the bucks in their pocket to cover.

Mike

What I posted is what I heard directly from the lips of the Minister of Refineries when I was invited to his office 2 years ago. :ermm:

I am not sure that I can "research" better than that. :ermm:

And I never said it is how all fuel enters.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to stay up to date you should have talked to your Minister since then,
a small talk with your big friend from 2 years ago is sure not anything anybody would count as helpful notice.

Mike

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
to stay up to date you should have talked to your Minister since then,
a small talk with your big friend from 2 years ago is sure not anything anybody would count as helpful notice.

Mike

He's not my Minister, and he is not my big friend. Grow up.

I don?t claim to have any big friends, nor am I an expert, but I would bet that not much has changed regarding the energy policy of this Country in the last 2 years. Talk yes? change no.

How is your research done? Hoy? Diario Libre? :ermm:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
how My research is done is My case, not Yours.
But if You claim that You walk into the Ministers Office and get the actual Info on Stuff Diario Libre doesn't have a clue about, that is YOU who suggerates that YOU are the Big Dog with the friends in High Places.

sure I knew that it was Crap.

thanks

Mike

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
how My research is done is My case, not Yours.
But if You claim that You walk into the Ministers Office and get the actual Info on Stuff Diario Libre doesn't have a clue about, that is YOU who suggerates that YOU are the Big Dog with the friends in High Places.

sure I knew that it was Crap.

thanks

Mike

Perhaps I was invited to the office to vacuum the carpets. You don’t know the circumstances and surely made assumptions.

I only mentioned where I heard the information after you suggested I do better research.

I don’t embellish and I don’t prop myself up. I am really not that interested in how this Country solves their problems. It’s not my business and ultimately its not my problem.

I posted what I did because I thought the board readers would find it interesting. Sorry if you thought it was crap.

Carry on.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Luis,
30 minutes I received My Sunday morning Surprise,
the Electricity Bill for the month of December.
the Meter been read on december 23rd 2010.
here still all on the same rate,
10.9700 Pesos per Kwh.
so I will need to wait til I get the jan Bill early february to see what the New Rate per Unit Kwh will be.
The Mrs came yesterday back from Santiago,
the Bus from Santo Domingo to Higuey went up just 10 Pesos, from formerly 230 Pesos to 240 Pesos per Person.
as Gas went Up like crazy the last 10 Days during the first half of this week most products will show a Raise in Rates.

Mike