Visit to SDO

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I've tried the searches etc but most are out of date and I reckon you knowledgeable folks can help me better.

I have to go to Santo Domingo from Cabarete for an appointment near the centre (US Embassy) at 11:30 on Wednesday.
My plan is to take the new autopista via Samana with my car the day before, stay overnight somewhere outside of town towards the airport where I can leave my car and use a taxi in and back the next day to the centre, as parking is near impossible nearby and the traffic horrendous, then pick up my car and drive the new road back without the hassle of going through town.
Any ideas of a reasonable, less than $100, hotel with parking and taxi fares to and from the centre ?
Much appreciate any answers.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I can appreciate that you would rather not drive into Santo Domingo because of the traffic etc.

I am not too familiar with hotels near the airport, but I suggest you do drive into the Capital's area of Gazcue. It is easy to get to if you are coming in from the east.

There is a apart hotel there with parking in the front. The rooms start at 45 $US per night. See the link below.

.....:Jaguar Apart Studios::::..........

I have used this place alot in the past. The owner speaks perfect English if that helps. And it is close enough to the embassy.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
If you decide to drive into the city, you can stay at the Marriott Courtyard on Maximo Gomez for under US$100 and it's within walking distance from the US Embassy.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
My choice would be to take Caribe or Metro to the capital. The cost would be less than the tolls you pay each way on the new highway. Let someone else do the driving relax and save the wear and tear on your car, not to mention the gas. If you use Caribe Tours, their terminal in SD is close to the embassy and Gascue. Cab fares are 150 to 200 pesos. I usually stay at the Riazor Hotel, on Independencia behind the Jaragua Hotel,

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Caribe Tours sounds like a good idea. I shall definitely look into it. Are they reliable and don't kill too many travellers?

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Caribe Tours sounds like a good idea. I shall definitely look into it. Are they reliable and don't kill too many travellers?

Caribe and Metro Tours are two of the few companies in this country that seem to work efficiently. They always leave on time, the buses are well maintained and they have first class drivers. Of course they do not arrive at a specific time due to road and traffic conditions. Do a search on DR1 for links to their websites.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I'm eternally grateful, thanks to all.
That would save a lot of trouble if I go by bus.
It looks like Riaza does not have a web site. Do you have a tel number by any chance?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I'm eternally grateful, thanks to all.
That would save a lot of trouble if I go by bus.
It looks like Riaza does not have a web site. Do you have a tel number by any chance?

Here it is, from right here on DR1 posted in March 2006
Good Luck!!
Bryan

Originally Posted by Scandall
The Hotel Riazor number is (809) 685-5566.

Calle Independencia (behind La Jaragua)...good location.

About USD$50-55 per night...great security...clean and nice rooms...breakfast included...walking distance to everything.

Scandall

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Just checked the Caribe Tours website.
It really is not worth taking a car.
Save the fuss, I'll go by bus.!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually, for purposes of going to the US Consulate, Caribe Tours is a little bit closer than Metro. Your cab ride (Apollo Taxi 809 437 0000) will be RD$150 including tip, unless fares have gone up a lot recently. You can ask the dispatcher. He will give you the Number, Make and Color of the vehicle that will pick you up. BEFORE you get in, you ask the driver for his NUMBER. It should be a maybe 10 minute trip over tothe consulate...

Have a good trip...

HB

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Followed the suggestions exactly,
Caribe Tours
Riazor
and taxis.

Thanks folks, worked out perfectly. Buses are pretty good and cheap.
Hotel is great value.
Had Ralfelo Schumachero, I think, driving on the way back from Santiago. Exciting!