short term move..advice??

riaris

Jan 8, 2011
Hey I was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys? I am thinking of moving to DR for a couple of months. Basically im a PhD student in my last year living in London and I really want to get away from the city for a bit while im working on and writing up my thesis and thinking of the DR for this. I can speak Spanish and have been confused with a local when I have travelled to central America in the past.

I was wondering how safe it is for a 25 year old woman to travel there on her own without knowing anyone? I am the type of person that likes to stay away from tourist areas when I go to another country and like to mix more with locals. Also can anyone give me advice on what are the best universities on the island for sciences? I cant drive, what is the public transport like?

I understand that living standards are much lower than where I am living now and life will be completely different but I love the latin and Caribbean cultures and difference is what I want right now. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
he he he
Hey Milosh,
Bad Boy.
25 years ole Female from London,
doesn't know how to drive,
speaks perfect Spanish.
yep,
there will be no safety issues,
You will blend in Locally perfectly.

Lower Living Standards than London??
only if You come from very High London Standards.

what ya really looking for?
what means a living standard for You?

Mike

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
There are many places in the DR that would suit your needs, for starters take a look at
Jarabacoa
Constanza
Bayahibe (nice safe coastal village, not too touristy either) I live there, PM me if you'd like more info.

sorry Milosh, Cocotal residential area in Punta Cana would suck without a car.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
English is not my native language but I think advices would be incorrect unless you meant it TIC-tongue-in-cheek.:cheeky:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I have

I have lived in the DR as a single woman for 2 months for a job in Cabrera. First I would recommend for you to visit, but not live, in the rural areas. The rules in these places are hard to pick up in a short stay and you, as a foreigner, will stick out and attract attention. I found many similarities between rural Maine and rural DR. People are not going to trust you, you have to build trust (read: you have to behave really well in public all the time). People will talk about you because you are a new attraction. People will make assumptions about you. Now, a small town is a wonderful place to live but it takes time and friends to make inroads. It can be frustrating (esp. if you are fluent) to realize that men will ask you out sometimes as close to ten minutes after you've met their wives/kids.

I have never lived in a DR city but I imagine it's a bit easier to get around, meet people, and not get entrenched in a small town mentality which is difficult to escape especially without good transport.

Jarabacoa is one place I would like to visit to see if I could hack it there for longer term but if you are single, 25, I recommend the city of Santiago. Make friends and go to the beach or the country on the weekends. Spend the week with your research/writing schedule and build in social activities (go to church if you are that type, the best place to make good connections). Be prepared for people to be extremely hospitable and kind; perhaps you'll want to bring some items that represent home as small tokens of your appreciation for their kindness.

Single...not for long in DR....that's an unnatural state. Prepare yourself for the onslaught. And remember men pay for everything in DR on dates.

Reactions: MikeFisher

riaris

Jan 8, 2011
thanks for all your help its useful:)
actually i would prefer to stay somewhere a bit lively as i like to go out and will need a break from my research in the evenings/weekends! although visits to quieter areas will be cool.
In terms of living standards i dont really want much, just a basic place to stay. I do need to have internet access at times, which is why i want to contact one of the universities to see if i can possibly use their resources. my field is atmospheric sciences.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mainegirl,
great Post, total agreement, but One Point:
while it is absolutely usual that a Dominican Man Pays all Bills on a Date,
in the touristy Areas it is absolutely Typical that the Chulo leave's ALL Bills for the Gringita.

Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago.
Less expensive than coast or Santo Domingo
Easy to get around in
University with research facilities
Good night life for 25 yr old female
Nicest folks around
Great connections to beach, mountains
Great airport

What else???

HB

riaris

Jan 8, 2011
yeah mainegirl that's some good insight...damn i thought it sounded too good to be true the guy paying the bills! well i dont have much money so they gonna be dissappointed :p

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
Well....

Please use the plural in the title, as advice"s"...
Also your title could be: Writing Thesis need Location advice.

Use theSearch option on this website to find various answers and advices: DR1 Dominican Republic Forums - Search Forums

If you speak Spanish, you will understand local Spanish as well, and can be different from area to area. For example in the centre of the island, Cibao area, they will use "y" instead of "r" (payqueo - parkeo, oyden - orden).

In the Dominican Republic, rural and urban can be different and same, as sometimes are mixing depending out of the particular place.

After 11 years, of living here,it is always possible to find a "thing" that will surprise you, it can be something that you see, or let's say discover one type of the fruit, that you never seen before.

As you are a 25 year "old" woman, it is safe in the Dominican Republic, but I think that the local population will not be safe, and some measures are being taken care of already, kids and small pets are removed from the streets. I have also heard that Queen Elizabeth II have sent a message via Facebook to President Leonel already.

Best universities on the island for Sciences? What kind of Sciences? In Santo Domingo.

Public Transport is various, and after many years of living, you will discover a new one. From moto-taxis, public cars, taxis, small buses, big buses, big buses with A/C, and other buses between cities (in the last ones all A/Cs in all buses have broken switch to highest, and A/Cs can not be turned off, you have to take a blanket, and the Dominicans love it).

If you do not know how to drive, just stop first person on the street and he will teach you for sure, even though that person does not drive as well.

Santo Domingo is big capital city, although I never ever had problems in DR, I do not recommend it for 25 year "old" girl. Too noisy for good environment for writing thesis.

For writing thesis in Dominican Republic, golf residential areas are more recommendable then beach areas.
cocotal golf - Google Search

Also rural areas in Jarabacoa.
Jarabacoa - Google Search

Well, there are hundreds of quiet places to write thesis in DR>

Lets not talk about the English language.

Sorry if i am confused, but you did sound like a dick explaining or trying to explain plural(s) to a "real" English person, i can only assume you are American or Canadian, which doesn't count as "real" English.

Thanks, and no offensiveness intended.

BR

P.S; good luck to the OP. But take a friend?

riaris

Jan 8, 2011
yes lets do that!
i think i am favouring santo domingo cos its the capital and seems to be where most things are going on. I have found a few universities there but i guess if i find somewhere where I can use wifi then I dont really need a university.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Case in point: There is no such thing as advices (advice can be singular or plural)
The is advise, a verb as in He advises the president of the company. But: He gives advice to the president of the company.

At least I think that is the way it works, English is my 7th language...

HB

Reactions: blackrainbow

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
yes lets do that!
i think i am favouring santo domingo cos its the capital and seems to be where most things are going on. I have found a few universities there but i guess if i find somewhere where I can use wifi then I dont really need a university.

Nice choice, but aren't you a bit bored with the big city atmosphere.

Wouldn't you like somewhere a little more relaxed? :confused:

BR

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I would agree to choose the Santiago Atmosphere over the Capital City.
and Santiago is not some kinda country side small town, at least it is the 2nd Capital of the isle and the 2nd largest City, too.
if only a good WIFI connection is the Big requirement for the studdies, then You could move to any Place on the Island, WIFI Today's is available everywhere.
here on the East You need to search very hard to find a Bar, coffee shop, restaurant, Bed&Breakfast Place or small Hotel, Appartment Complex etc etc without available Wifi.
Santiago sound by Your Requests a very suitable Location with everything neded in the surroundings.

Have a great Time on the Isle
and good Luck for Successful Studies

Mike

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
i guess i can do one month in santo domingo and one month santiago :p

If that is a possibility for you, then I would highly, highly recommend it. You would have two bases for exploring different parts of the country.

I would like to warn you about something, however: you could very easily fall in love with this country and decide to move back here after you finish your thesis. (It took me 20 years before I could come back, and I haven't regretted it.) So, definitely visit the universities and make friends there with faculty members, in case you want to come back and work here.

Reactions: MikeFisher