Sosua New Year 2011 Trip Report

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
The snow has stopped for now and the sun has appeared. It?s hard to believe that the sun I see now is the same one that shone down on me in Sosua only 36 hours ago.

It is difficult to express my feelings after the week in the DR. There are so many good times to recall, people to thank and new friends to remember fondly. This trip will be the touchstone of my DR contact and experience, and perhaps signifies a real turning in my life path.

The New Year event was all I could have hoped it to be. Many thanks to Rick at Rocky?s for saving me a steak dinner even though I got there later in the evening on Dec 31. I also got to participate in the gift-giving expedition, an event in which I have wanted to join ever since I first heard of it in 2007. Seeing the kids was amazing and I was surprised indeed to find some that I had met in November 2007 and discover how much that they have grown over the three years in between. The after-party back at Rocky?s was a lot of fun and I remember most of what I did.

The second purpose of my trip was to make contact with Pauline Wren of Project Isobel and to deliver some needed materials to her, plus do some handyman tasks for her at the facility. I was amazed to see what she has accomplished and wish her well in the effort. It was an education for me to work alongside Dominicans engaged in tasks getting the facility ready for children. I also was delighted to have contact with the animal rescue side of the venture and the horses and dogs that are dependent upon the facility for their well-being. A special thanks to Pauline for her hospitality.

My stay at Rocky?s motel was smooth and without a problem. The room was good, the restaurant food was excellent, and the Presidente beer went well with all occasions. The movie nights were great! The waitstaff are efficient, pleasant and ever-smiling. A special thanks goes to little Anna for her humour and her amazing laugh.

So, a big gracias to Rick and Milka for the hospitality, to Marco for being my good friend, and to new friends who I hope will become old friends, including Frank, Wild Bill, Karl, Daniel, Patrick and others who I see in my mind, but can?t put a name to right now.

Adios my friends and hope to see you all in April.

Reactions: mike l