Gasper Hernandez job-market

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
I will be moving to the Dominican Republic, specifically to Gasper Hernandez. Does anyone know what the current job-climate is like there and also the economic situation there ATM.

Cheers.

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
Re

Yeah, I am fluent in Spanish and really I would start by doing anything. I have spent only 3 weeks in Gaspeer Hernandez, 2 weeks of which I was imobile (an accident on at the river).

My girlfriend (who lives there) is half looking for me, but I thought i best to widen the search here too.

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
Re

Maybe sounds a bit OTT now, as I'm not sure of the eschange rate fluctuation since I was there last, but I was hoping for at least 12.000RD p/month.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
depends on the job, really. what are your skills, profession, education? chances for big money are quite slim, to be honest.

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
Re

I imagine they are quite slim.

Is there a sizable foregn community (specifically English) there in Gasper Hernandez?? Also, what a typical house-price abd also rent-typically how much each month/week? And also expendatures, eg, gas, electricty and also transport prices as I would look to buy a motorbike (insurance-if necesary, maintencance and the bike's actual cost)?? All based on Gasper Hernandez??

Cheers.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Check the situation out through your local family. Don't expect to get work if not connected and Dominican.

The current job market in GH is not very good. Tourism is very weak.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I think I've only seen a couple of gringo's in GH. I live there..... rent is ok, 2bdrm apt for around 5000 pesos per month (unfurnished)...as far as jobs, what are you looking for???? There isn't much available in GH for a foreigner to do. Your best bet would be to work in Cabarete and travel back and forth....

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
I think I've only seen a couple of gringo's in GH. I live there..... rent is ok, 2bdrm apt for around 5000 pesos per month (unfurnished)...as far as jobs, what are you looking for???? There isn't much available in GH for a foreigner to do. Your best bet would be to work in Cabarete and travel back and forth....

In Caberete, just the fact that you are fluent in English is a plus for a job in tourist servicing business. There's regular guagua service and it's not an unreasonable commute. Still - you really won't make enough to do more than eat rice and beans and sleep out of the rain.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

Sorry dude, I dont want to be the know it all negative person routinely found here on DR1, But unless you have a reasonable savings to fall back on,Then Your crazy!!!! and will be miserable and broke here...

I dont know your situation or your relationship with your novia, but I do know that she will not be the same sweet little dream girl when you do not have that disposable income like you have in the past on your vacations.

You will be lucky to make $200 U.S per month...

Reactions: Bronxboy

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
Re

Ultimately, I want a job that I can work at over the net. But, I would probably take any job I can get there. My girlfriend's family did have a family buisness, but recently sold up. Rent seems a lot more expensive than I was expecting. I was living in Los Quemados de Bonao and the prices were significantly lower (then again so was the standards of living).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This is what happens when you look for girlfriend in campo. Next time, stick to a girl from the capital. Only there, you will become broke in one month.
AZB

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I Have been living in in GH For 5 Years, I LOVE it here !
Parts of what everyone above says is true and parts not true.
You can pretty much choose your lifestyle. Not like Cabarete or Sosua where its forced on you ! Jobs are scarce but Opportunities abound here ! And your timing is good becaus the new University is opening in May. So depending on your skills, desires, drive and backing, you can do okay here. If you are coming to GH to make your fortune? Stay home ! Stop by for a visit ! If you have skills that a Dominican university can use, you have a good shot. If you are willing to risk a business and have a little Capital, you can survive ! I do quite well and am considering a new venture here in GH. Maybe we can talk ! I make the majority of my Income over the net. Have been doing that here for 5 years.
And tell AZB , That the Campo girls are like No Others ! (He already knows I bet ! )
As for Quality oif Sanity , It is fantastic here. true Dominicans are not the Ladrones and opportunists that you find in the Tourist centers. Here it is family, friends and long term stuff.

Andres Duarte

Jan 16, 2011
I finally registered here.
You BEST bet might be to open a grocery store there, I have 2 in other small town
YOU WILL NOT GET A JOB in G.H. Period.