Kid's cleaning wind-shields

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
While I am there in the DR, driving from the airport and through and between the larger cities, there are generally kids weaving in and out of traffic to clean wind shields for whatever money you have, like 20 pesos or less. I feel guilty, but I usually don't try and catch their eye. But, what does everyone else do, say 'yeah' or generallly don't invite them over.
They do a dangerous job cleearly out of necesity, though.
Wondered what everone's thoughts were.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ignore them, put on your wipers, make them clean off any dirty water they throw on the screen.

The only guy I have ever paid to clean my screen is the guy on the corner of 27 / Churchill who wears the suit (sponsored) and tie and asks first if you want the windows cleaned.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
if they start to clean after you?ve shaken your head no and waved the finger no a dozen times, let them clean it. then drive off.

Reactions: waytogo

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It makes me wonder, when I came here for the first time in 2000 I noticed that a reasonable part of drivers would let the cleaners do their work and pay them. Since I am back after a 5 year absence the wind shield cleaners have become a lot more aggressive and hardly anyone lets them clean their windows....is this still leaving any money? (same for limpiabotas by the way)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
if they start to clean after you?ve shaken your head no and waved the finger no a dozen times, let them clean it. then drive off.
Yup. This.

Once in a while you'll get some dirty water shloshed on your back or side windows. Part of living here...

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010

You could drive away after they supposedly clean your windshield, but you face a high risk in having your car damaged as you drive off. They are known for scratching vehicles as you drive off. It happened to my wife not so long ago, while she drove off in a brand new Jipeta. Then just this past Sunday I had words with one of them as he poured all the water in his sponge on to the windshield of my car, after I told him not to wash my window.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
when i first came here, 21 years ago, i'd always wind up driving one on my in laws cars. these cars were usually at least 10+ years old, piles of junk, but they got you where you needed to go. of course the windshield washer systems never worked, fluid bottle broken or pump broken or they didn't even know what was the purpose to put water in the bottle, forget washer fluid i don't even think they sold it in this country, at least i never saw it for sale. now when you take SD weather, rain everyday for 10 minutes for no reason, and the dirty/dusty streets it was a pleasure to find the washer guys just to be able to see where i was going. back then people really needed to have the windscreen cleaned. cost, one peso, that was when the peso was 12.65 or so. was funny one time when i paid the guy with loose change, dominican nickels,dimes, and a quarter. he was p'd off, so what? it added up to a peso. this kind of business back then was a neccesity, but i don't think that the street kids have figured out that with the newer cars they aren't needed, but they hang onto the idea that if it worked before it will work again. maybe because if dominican drivers can't figure out hi-lo headlights, they don't not dim because they're mean, they're stupid. so when that bottle of washer fluid runs out they don't at least fill it with water because they have no clue............

Reactions: waytogo

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its annoying

If no one paid then it would stop. I watch out for them and as they approach I turn on the windshield washer water and the wipers. next I give them the finger wave no and shake my head. It has worked all but one time when the little devil took off my wiper blade and ran, laughing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i drive and i see them i just move my finger to " no, no" and start the wipers. because i look as mean as hell so normally those dudes do not approach me :)

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
If no one paid then it would stop. I watch out for them and as they approach I turn on the windshield washer water and the wipers. next I give them the finger wave no and shake my head. It has worked all but one time when the little devil took off my wiper blade and ran, laughing.

if he can take off a wiper blade that quick he needs a job somewhere else ahahah

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Ignore them, put on your wipers, make them clean off any dirty water they throw on the screen.

The only guy I have ever paid to clean my screen is the guy on the corner of 27 / Churchill who wears the suit (sponsored) and tie and asks first if you want the windows cleaned.

I like this guy, although I don't know his name. My partner gave him many ties a while ago, and he always remembers :)

When you have pride in your job, you get respect, kudos to him I say!

Mar 1, 2009
I dunno why people continue to pay these little knuckle heads. We, members of my family and I we're going to Barahona again and we stopped in Azua at a light on our way there. These three kids (not Haitian) ran up to the Hilux and one was selling water and the other two began fighting over who would clean the windshield, my sister in law is from Conneticut. She isn't used to that so she opened her mouth to say OMG and the kids turned around looked at her and asked Ohoh y que le pasa a la rubia? Tiene miedo?
Well anyway the point is let's choke this off at the source and let's not give anymore money to them, OK?