Security in Playa Fronton (and other beaches)?

pap2010

Nov 20, 2010
Hello!

My husband and I plan our first visit to Samana next week and we wish to visit quiet beaches. Playa Fronton is the top in my list. We would use a ferry to reach the beach.

I read in past threads that there are security risk in quiet beaches (i.e. robbers or thefts). We are only two of us. We are, and we look like, foreign tourists. Can anyone advise of the security situation in quiet beaches in Samana these days, and the likelihood of us finding ourselves as the only visitors in Playa Fronton in mid-end January?

Thank you for your advice.

Transparency

Jan 13, 2011
I would not recommend visiting remote beaches without prior preparation. Odds are that you might have no problem. But if something bad happens, then it could be the worst experience of your life. Best advice is to properly plan such an adventure, with people you can rely on. You will have a better time and remove the risk. People have been robbed & worse here. Best to call Frank at (829) 984-9511 or Daniel at (809) 877-4175 and request that they guide you. They speak Spanish only. If you want more information in English, then ask them where you might call their friend from the USA. Have a great trip!

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
when the wife and i were in las galeras just over a month ago we wanted to visit fronton but the ocean was rough the entire week so we did not get to go by boat. it was only after we drove to boca diablo and walked to the blowhole that we discovered fronton was a short walk (30-45 mins we were told) from where we were. as it was late in the day we didn't do it. at the blowhole there was a kiosk where a guy named david and members of his family had set up shop selling trinkets and such. he spoke very good english and offered one of his nephews to go with us as a guide. he also said they were very serious about the safety of visitors as this was their livelihood. again this was not the busy season for them and there should be more tourists at the time you will be there but no one can say for sure whether you will be alone or not. my advise would be to just carry the camera and essentials and nothing of much value and if going by foot to get a local boy to walk with you as they would know any people you may pass on your way. if going by boat i would ask the captain about safety issues before going. i am very sad we did not get to go ourselves and it would be a shame to miss out on this opportunity, i hope for you that you do get the chance and have a safe and wonderful time :) ben ps. post some pics for us if you do go..lol will make up for the ones i misssed

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Beaches / Samana, Las Galeras

You may want to try Playa Valle'. You access the road to this beach very soon out of Samana. It is a beautiful beach with a few small local restaurants and not many people or you can always go to Playa Rincon. These are both easier to get to and you probably will have close to the same experience and they are safe.

S

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
Hello!

My husband and I plan our first visit to Samana next week and we wish to visit quiet beaches. Playa Fronton is the top in my list. We would use a ferry to reach the beach.

I read in past threads that there are security risk in quiet beaches (i.e. robbers or thefts). We are only two of us. We are, and we look like, foreign tourists. Can anyone advise of the security situation in quiet beaches in Samana these days, and the likelihood of us finding ourselves as the only visitors in Playa Fronton in mid-end January?

I have been to this beach often, though never by foot. Simply walk onto the playa and you will be offered a boat and captain to both Madama, Fronton, even Rincon in the same trip if you like. I used to know a few names, but no longer. I will most likely be there next week. I will check for you.

If you go to Fronton you should be aware that in the mid to late afternoon the cliffs cast shadows that cover much of the beach. Better to go in the morning. Don't overlook pretty little Madama on the way out!

In regards to security and safety I can only say I have never had a problem. Each trip I have carried a rather large obvious device covered with Nikon labels, have often travelled alone. In fact not have I ever had any sensation of trouble, though like any good traveler, keep your wits about you.

Hope this is helpful,
ratbastard

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Please be careful in Playa Del Valle, it has very strong undertow currents and many people have drowned there.

I love this beach and try go back as often as we can but we only go in as far as the waistline.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Normally you are safe at crowded places or within a larger group of people.

But times are also changing at Las Galeras. Last November there was said to be a group of "bandidos", one day they "worked" at Rincon, next day at Boca del Diavolo, another day they robbed some hikers on their way to Playa Madame... Of course Politur always at their heels ;)

So why don?t you take a local guide to be safe? I always do that on my horseback-tours, my guides really knew every stone around LG and they showed me so many things I?d never seen without a guide.

For us it?s only few Dollars, but for a Dominican it is an important job!

Saludos

pap2010

Nov 20, 2010
Thank all of you who kindly responded to my question. I am pleasantly surprised to see so many responses in less than one day!

As you suggested we shall take a local guide when we go to Playa Fronton. We do not speak Spanish so we will ask our hotel to arrange. We hope the sea will be quiet so that we can visit there by boat! Thanks for letting us know about Playa Del Valle, it sounds less hassle to access there. We may go to Playa Del Valle instead of Playa Fronton. It is quite possible that we will feel a visit to Playa Fronton is a little too adventurous for us... Will let you know what we did when we return from our trip. If we get to Playa Fronton, a photo shall be posted!

Again thanks so much for your kind advice. They are very helpful.

pap2010

Nov 20, 2010
We are safely back from Playa Fronton! Thanks for your tips

Hi,

We are back from Las Galeras last Sunday. We had a great holiday. Been to Playa Fronton, Playita, and Rincon. We took a boat to Fronton. There were other visitors (about 10) and a few local people working for the restaurant. We felt safe there. We snorkeled and saw many types of fish incl. flat fish. Wanted to post a photo but do not know how. Thank you all for your guidance.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Playa El Valle is top, safe and great food in one of the caribbean beach restaurants. And the fish is ALWAYS fresh.

Not many people drowned, but some people drowned there, sadly. Like in every beach...
On whatever beach you are... always take care in water you do not know and ask before going in. Do not get in the water drunk or stoned or drugged!!!!!