Rule of thumb for buying from the web and customs fees?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I know it's been discussed to death, but I'm still confused on how it actually works.

I've read many times here that aduanas won't charge for an item that cost under $200. Is this a rule of thumb or is it a "you usually won't get charged..."?

Even if it's a "rule of thumb", why do some shipping services tend to include customs fee in the shipping cost (EPS)?

And who opens that package before I receive it? I purchased some shoes, and I noticed that the package was open. Did eps open it or was it customs?

What about items over US$200? What are the fees for that?

If I were to purchase an item from the US for under $200 with free shipping within the US, what is the cheapest way to get it here?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have seen the directive put out stating the $200 rule. I get a lot of stuff and have never been charged customs on anything under $200. I use EPS.

All packages are opened when they go through customs.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just be careful. Getting stuff here isn't unreasonably expensive. Shipping returns back IS.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
CPS seems to have the same rule. Every packet is opened - I suppose to stop smuggling in gold or under declaring goods.
Over 200 dollars each packet has a clearance fee and the duty plus the value added tax. IBIS.
Yanandu

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just be careful. Getting stuff here isn't unreasonably expensive. Shipping returns back IS.

cobraboy is right. The services like EPS that bring stuff here for a reasonable price don't take it back to the US. For that you must use FedEx, UPS or one of those companies. Because they have no competition, other than each other, their fees are exorbitant.

From nearby Puerto Rico, where mail service to the US is part of the US postal system, the charges by FedEx, etc., to bring stuff to PR and back to the US are much less.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
CPS seems to have the same rule. Every packet is opened - I suppose to stop smuggling in gold or under declaring goods.
Over 200 dollars each packet has a clearance fee and the duty plus the value added tax. IBIS.
Yanandu

I guess Africaman could mule your returns back since he is just "visiting"!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I use Transexpress and they open the package before it even leaves their facility; then I believe it's opened again at customs and who knows if again before it's delivered to the North Coast. The good news is nothing is usually missing. And for me for items under $200 with no customs, they are very reliable, responsible, and timely.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i use EPS and have never been charged for anything below 200 dollars. all packages are opened.

Feb 7, 2007
For every package under US$200 worth, there is a 4-5 pesos charge per pound which is a customs fee. That is charged by each and every shipper. So a 1 pound package with a cellphone (yes, they usually weight less than 1 pound) worth less than $200 INCLUDING the within-the-US shipping charge (final invoice amount is always used to determine the US$200 value) would be charged RD$4-to-5 pesos customs charge. A 50-pound package of brochures would get charged a RD$200-to-250 customs fee charge. Even documents/brochures/books/etc (which are TAX/ITBIS/DUTIES exempt) would be charged RD$4-to-5 customs fee. All packages do, for the value of US$200 or less, or even exempt ones.

When your package is over US$200 then you will be charged CUSTOMS HANDLING fee by the shipping carrier, plus the customs fee (DUTIES) plus corresponding ITBIS. Some articles, you would be charged just ITBIS (when there is no customs duty or selective tax, e.g. computers) if your package is over US$200 but in that case you will still be charged customs handling fee by the shipping carrier.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
i use EPS and have never been charged for anything below 200 dollars. all packages are opened.

Same here for several years. Got lucky a few times, even a used iphone from ebay worth 395.00 was opened but no charge. But yes, all packages are opened.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For every package under US$200 worth, there is a 4-5 pesos charge per pound which is a customs fee. That is charged by each and every shipper. So a 1 pound package with a cellphone (yes, they usually weight less than 1 pound) worth less than $200 INCLUDING the within-the-US shipping charge (final invoice amount is always used to determine the US$200 value) would be charged RD$4-to-5 pesos customs charge. A 50-pound package of brochures would get charged a RD$200-to-250 customs fee charge. Even documents/brochures/books/etc (which are TAX/ITBIS/DUTIES exempt) would be charged RD$4-to-5 customs fee. All packages do, for the value of US$200 or less, or even exempt ones.

It appears from my EPS bill that the present fee is RD$6.50 per pound for shipments valued at less than US$200. At least that is what I assume the item on the EPS bill identified as "Servicio DGA" is for.

Feb 7, 2007
Looks like the DGA fee is carrier-dependent. Transexpress charges RD$4.20 "CARGO POR MANEJO AUTORIDAD PORTUARIA", picknsend charges about 4.50 to 5 pesos per pound.