Legal unlocked iPhone 4 question

MacDvL

Jan 13, 2011
Hi,

I will be in DR soon and I have a legally unlocked iPhone 4 and I wonder where is the best place to get a prepaid sim card?

What kind of pricing should I expect?
Is it possible to get a prepaid data card?
Do they have those micro sim cards that we find in iPhone 4?

I welcome any suggestions or tips you may have.

Thank's

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Sure they have the sim cards here, you could choose from three different companies for service: Claro, Orange and Viva. Personally I use Orange, its a pretty decent service provider, and depending on your service plan you could even call the States for free on the weekends.

Yes, to your prepaid question, and the pricing depends on which service plan you choose.

Hope this helps you.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I've got an unlocked iPhone 4. I use Claro. Keep in mind that as far as I know, the phone companies here only supply standard SIM cards and the iPhone 4 takes a micro-SIM. I had to cut my SIM card down with scissors so it would fit in my phone. It's not a task for the feint of heart as you can easily destroy the card. Luckily mine worked fine after cutting it down.

Also, as far as I know, nobody does pre-paid data plans so you can't use the 3G unless you do a contract.... which requires you have a cedula.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Claro has pre-paid plans. Also if you do not have a Cedula you can get a contract. But you will need someone with an account with Claro to sign for you.

Just to add, a friend of mine bought a Blackberry Torch with a pre-paid plan for about 25,000 rd. He got it and it was connected immediately, I was with him.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I just went into the Claro office a few weeks back here in Veron and they told me the only way I could get 3G on my iPhone was with a plan that would cost me 3000 pesos per month. I was relying on a friend to translate for me so maybe he got the details wrong. Not sure I'd want to pay that much for 3G anyway. It just seems odd since you can get the 3G dongle for your computer for around 700 pesos per month but to get it for my phone was so much more.

Atlantic Golfer

Feb 24, 2011
iPhone 4

I have a iPhone 3GS and a Samsung flip when I go on vacation, 1 for Orange and 1 for Claro. Some areas you get Claro where Orange is not available. My iPhone picks up my WiFi, works great. Just show your ID, (drivers license), and get your new Sim Card. U R good to go. They do everything for you. Great service. I think Claro has service in more areas, but cost a little more for calls, but you can add minutes as you go along. Hope this helps.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
My i-phone4 with Orange has a microchip and can only be obtained with a monthly plan called the I-Max. For example the 32G for third generation users cost $4,300.00 pesos a month unlimited data and 2000 free minutes, 500 messages. Warning!, the infamous problem with the antenna and drop calls is a fact of life here too, if not worse. Be prepared to have the best, but with this disavantage. I'm not sure if it is Orange dropping the calls, the other recipient or my i-4. But I take the word of the reports that it drops calls. I just bought the new protective case for about $1500 in Bella Vista Mall and it doesn't prevent the dropped calls either. If you recall Steve Jobs offered protective case free that could prevent people from touching the antenna, but it did not work and I think the plan was discontinued and never offered in DR. I found the 4 model's screen more sensitive than the previous model and I'm having a hard time not making mistakes with my touch key board. Nevertheless, I'm inlove with it. The camera is incredible. Don't look for the white model. It does not exist. Bella Vista Mall has everything you need for your i-phone and iPad.

Feb 7, 2007
All three providers, Viva, Claro and Orange now have prepaid data plans.

Claro:
BlackBerry - BIS services mail, social, light, full/unlimited
Other phones - Internet Movil

Orange:
BlackBerry - BIS services unlimited
Other phones - Orange Net

Viva:
BlackBerry - BIS service unlimited
All can be contracted on prepaid basis. With Claro and Viva you can get plans on daily, weekly and by-weekly plans.

You will get 3G with Claro, 2G only on Viva. You will get 3G on Orange ONLY if your phone is from Europe because Orange picked up the rariest of the bands for 3G - 900 Mhz used only by a few European operators.

Viva connections suck, you get very bad quality 2G EDGE connection, browsing will be somewhat bearable in off peak hours, in peak hours it's virtually unusable. No streaming, youtube or tethering on Viva. On Orange and Claro you can stream vides, audio, youtube etc. And also use your Blackberry as a modem (tethering).

Again, if you did not buy your 3G phone in Orange in the past 12 months, you will most likely not be able to access 3G on Orange. Even if you bought a 3G phone from Orange but you bought it before Orange launched 3G then most likely it is not compatible.... Yes, Orange sold in the past lots of 3G phones (Iphones, Blackberrys etc.) that are now not compatible with its own 3G. Also many 3G phones sold in Europe possibly may not be compatible with Orange 3G because Europe uses 2100 Mhz band which is present both in American and European versions of 3G phones (e.g. Blackberry curve 9300 or bold 9780 or torch 9800). Many European carriers sell American versions or have many on stock simply because the frequency band they are using is present in both versions. Most likely to use 3G on Orange you will need to buy one of their newer 3G phones. .... Good way to make some money on phone sales as well.... Good bye Ebay for Orange

According to both Claro and Orange, the Blackberry BIS plans are truly unlimited and there is no degradation of speed or download limits, even on 3G.

Reactions: TheHun

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Guess I'll have to re-visit Claro. Definite discrepancy between what they told me and what you are claiming. Would love to get some reasonably priced 3G data access on my iPhone 4.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but may I ask where to get a legally unlocked iphone -beside e-bay - and what's the cost of it?

Thanks!

The Hun

Sylvia

Jan 13, 2012
Did it work? I want to get an iPhone 4 and unlock it so I can use it down there.

I bought an IPAD 2 in Europe and Im looking for a prepaid sim to use it in DR. Anyone suggestions where to buy this prepaid Sim? Does Claro has a plan for IPAD? thanks guys