Best Beaches for Birthday Trip

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008
I wanted to find the best beaches in DR. I have already been to Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata, Juan Dolio, Boca Chica, and Punta Cana. Are there any other ones I can try? I am trying to go around the end of March.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There have been fantastic reports on the beaches at Palenque, San Cristobal....do a search here and see if you like it...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Saman? - stay in Las Terrenas or Las Galeras. My choice would be Las Galeras, from where you can take a water-taxi to Playa Rinc?n, the most beautiful beach in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Playa Rincon is a must. Facing the water go all the way to the left. There is a fresh water stream there and the Ocean of course. Also the last blue tent has the "fat lady cooking". Best fresh fish and lobster around is cooked by her.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can heartedly agree on Rincon. Since all the other beaches she mentioned are fairly near the Capital, I figured that Palenque would be more to her liking.

Remember, Rincon implies at least one night staying in a hotel...(And there are places to stay in Palenque from the reports we have seen here on DR1....)_

HB

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Best Beaches

Playa Ricon is spectacular but it is very quiet and not easy to get to. If you have a vehicle and are planning on staying somewhere overnight than stay in Las Terrenas. There is much more to do for a birthday celebration. Las Galeras is quaint, very quiet and out of the way. From Las Terrenas to Playa Ricon by car is approximately and hour and a half. Make sure you have an SUV. If you are not that adventurous than just stay in Las Terrenas and check out Playa Las Ballenas. It is a beautiful beach with great swimming right in Las Terrenas.

S

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008
Thanks for all the replies we decided to just go somewhere closer due to time constraints. We are in our mid twenties and want to go somewhere within an hour and half from Santo Domingo. What are some good resorts to go to and stay over night a day or two? I need some suggestions we want to go around the end of March.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Princess: Really, do a search on this site for Palenque. There are nice places to stay and nice beaches to enjoy and it is right there in San Cristobal....Read up and then decide.

HB

JeNLeB

Jan 31, 2011
La Romana is only about 2 hours from Santo Domingo and has some pretty nice resorts and beaches. My husband and I got married at The Wyndham Resort in Bayahibe/La Romana, and we loved it. There are many other all-inclusive resorts in La Romana that are really nice and not too overpriced. You can find some really awesome deals on BookIt.com and CheapCarribean.com right now too.

Last edited:

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Princess: Really, do a search on this site for Palenque. There are nice places to stay and nice beaches to enjoy and it is right there in San Cristobal....Read up and then decide.

HB

Hillbilly, with all my respect. I consider you the professor in this site. but this time I bet you never been in Palenque.
After visiting more than 90% of Dominican beaches and others in the Caribbean Islands, I can consider myself a beach expert.
Palenque and Najayo are in the very bottom of my list.
Those beaches are visited by 99% of poor dominicans (nothing wrong to be poor),but those poor, are dominican yorks, Peloteros, and Tigueraje from Santo Domingo. The problem is that they have very loud music, lot of trash, they bring food to the beach and leave everything there. you find rum bottle and cigarretes and even some condoms in the water. Those beaches are very crowd too. not very pleasant. they have gray sand (the one we use in construction), and not many palms.
If you are looking for blue water, white sand, palms tree, go to Samana, or Bayahibe, depend on where you live in Santo Domingo, you are about 2 hours away.
Catalina is less than 2 hours.
Isla Saona 2.5 hour
Playa Rincon 2.5 - 3hours
Bayahibe 2 hours.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
naming Saona Island as for Beutiful Beaches and not overcrowded by Drunks on daily bases shows that You have No Clue about Beaches.
You may by own ranking Know 90% of the Island's Beaches,
but You still don't know the 10% of the Nice Ones obviously.

Mike

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
naming Saona Island as for Beutiful Beaches and not overcrowded by Drunks on daily bases shows that You have No Clue about Beaches.
You may by own ranking Know 90% of the Island's Beaches,
but You still don't know the 10% of the Nice Ones obviously.

Mike

As always attacking without respect.
We are talking about beaches close to Santo Domingo.
I cant mention Juanillo or Punta Cana because they are at least 4 hours drive from Santo Domingo.
Saona is a nice beach, if you dont like it for any reason thats your problem.
Punta Cana is the crowded beach in DR with lot of drunker anywhere. Does that mean is not a good beach? No. I still rank Bavaro-PC as one of the best beaches.
And Saona and surrounding are in the top 10 of any list in the country beaches.