Beruga y Yugut

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
While I was living in Bonao (well, nearby en un campo) we had yogut, but also we had a drink called beruga, a kind of lumpy milky thing. Then when I went to La Union de Puerta Plata, I asked for beruga and always got given yogut. They thought there was just no difference, they didn't know what beruga actually was.

My cousin said (after learning how it is made) that he will NEVER try it as it is just 'gone off' milk.

Has anyone here tried the real stuff, and do you enjoy it??? And how many don't know what it really is??

Reactions: jrhartley

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Boruga Capellan I guess this is the place you are talking about, this used to be a famous place to go for the best Dominican boruga and queso de hoja and galletas de panaderia back in the years but when the old people died the quality of their products went down.
Yes the last time I stop there three years ago I notice they was not serving the original boruga.
Boruga is made off very cold milk some lemon and ice, the trick is in the mixing as there will be a chemical effect.

JJ

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
BORUGA - its milk that's gone bad yes, but its fermented and it can be digested easier............it must be made in a glass jar or bottle and left out at room temperature for 3 days and just pour add some sugar or honey and eat/drink.

I dont know where the name came from but I've heard it since I was a child and that's beed for quite a while now. ;-)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i swear i thought you were asking here about some home made remedy for verruga and just misspelled words dominican style.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
It is not just search net, see, copy, paste the result. But it is a good way.

I never heard about it, about Boruga Yogurt, and my wife is 29 years old, so 20 years ago, my chichi was drinking Boruga in Puerto Plata.

That means that my wife was 9 years old, and nobody killed her in Politic gathering in massive shooting as in the violent country as USA.

That was 1990, or 1991. Fine, in that year I started with University of Architecture in Belgrade.
I love when Germans say Belgrad, and English spoked Belgrade, then Spanish speaking Belgrado.

Names are not to be translated. (Nueva York).

Or names of cities, but it is accepted that names of countries and cities to be translated.

So, if someone ask you, what Chiri means in Spanish, what would you say?

As Milosh means nothing, or maybe someone kind, or name of the King.

I do not see how New York Times can have a credibility to write about Boruga Yogurt.

You have a mistake, Boruga and yogurt are two different things.
Oh, btw thanks Crimoya for the link as it confirm what I've stated before!!!

Yogurt is pasteurizado Boruga is not.

JJ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have to say that due to my own squeamishness I've never tasted boruga but I know it is - or was - sold at the Autopista Duarte paradores like Turey.

Funnily enough the best yogurt I ever tasted was at a cafeteria in Београд* in 1987.

Chiri is Spanish. It's short for Chirimoya - a fruit native to South America that is so popular with my compatriots that it became our nickname at one point.

Courtesy of Google, copy+paste. ;)

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
Re

ELL, IF i MAKE IT i

Well, if I make it I take a big plastic bottle, add fresh milk from the cow (straight from the cow, for some reason it doesn't work with carton milk), leave out of the fridge with lid on for like 3 days, change bottle and add a ton of sugar. Though somone suggested honey, never tried it with honey, but it sounds good. And then put in the freezer until very cold. It is always the 2nd thing I go an get when I arrive, just after chicharon.

wELL