V Centenario destruction of Palm Tree

D

Drake

V Centenario destruction of Palm Tree

I think that the $RD20,000.00 fine for the destruction of a 50 year old Cana palm tree is far too little. The rental of a crane to plant a similar size tree would be more than that. One of Santo Domingo's most spectacular attractions is the Malecon with it's palm tree lined seafront. This hotel should be penalized far more for this outrageous act.

The Malecon was planted with endemic Cana Palms by Trujillo (ex dictator)and are now irreplaceable. They have ruined the landscape concept created more than half a century ago.

C

ciberstew

Also what about the street venders selling heart of palm all over town. This comes from the same tree you must destroy the tree to extract the heart.

J

John

in my opinion FORESTA has to put in jail the landscaping company who cut that palm and also the general manager of V centenenario who ordered it.
this is a big crime

D

Drake

Ciberstew

I totally agree with you concerning the damage caused by the sale of the heart of palms. Though this is fairly rare now. It is a major offence to cut a Palma Real down in the Campo. By the way the Palm that was cut down by the Hotel V Centenario was Palma Cana (gave its name to Punta Cana) Whilst the palm that the heart is extracted from is the Palma Real or Royal Palm in English. The Royal Palm is also endemic to Hispaniola that was much admired by Columbus.

I think any one going to V Centenario should think twice. They deserved to be boycotted until they plant a full size one. The one they cut was four stories high!!

M

Marvin

I'm only a outsider here, but wouldn't a full size tree have to be "harvested" from another location in order to be planted in the location you are suggesting? Personally, in the final analysis, does it really matter if this tree is in front of the Centenario or across the street or for that matter, in St. Lucia? I agree, for the reasons you have suggested, the tree shouldn't have been cut in the first place - I can't imagine what the reason might have been, but since it's done, there are only so many mature Palma cana's in the world at any one time. I say stop them from doing whatever it was they were planning to do when they cut the tree and if that isn't enough, fine them heavily.

D

Drake

Marvin
The tree would have to be initially prepared for transplant by digging a trench around it. It would then have to be adapted for several months and then transplanted with as much roots intact as possible.

The problem here is they cut a palm that was part of an impressive avenue of palms in one of the most scenic parts of the city.

H

Henry

Sorry - I was out of town - why actually had they cut that palm tree??

T

Tom

At least they did something!

Personally, from my observations of the lack of responsibilty of any ecological destruction in the past, I am impressed the Govt. is doing SOMEZTHING to stop destruction.

Maybe they should be applauded for starting in the right direction instead of being put down for not doing enough.

Tom

D

DR-VETERAN

Re: At least they did something!

well, right direction would be stopping tree cutting by individuals and companies in the campo which make the reforestation efforts of hundreds and thousands of volunteers, army and govt.workers a vain effort.

instead of fining rd$ 20,000 the planting of a 100,000 trees would be much more effective.in any respect.

M

Marvin

You can't equate ecological protection with

aesthetic/cultural preferences of people, unless you believe that people are a part of our ecology and that is another "can of worms". Either way, I do agree it should be replaced, but as I said above, if you transplant a mature tree, there are only x number of these trees in the DR - this doesn't add one. This action will probably not have an ecological gain in front of the hotel and probably only an ecological loss where it came from.