Solar Pool Cover

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
With winter here, I am finding the swimming pool is more than a little cool. I am looking for a solar pool cover to stop evaporation yet allow the sun to heat the pool in the daytime.

I have found lots of these online, but they are large and I don't wish to pay for the freight from the USA. Does anybody know where they can be purchased (or have recommendations as per type). I have looked around in Puerto Plata but nobody seems to know where to purchase these. Perhaps in Santiago?

Thanks in advance.

May 29, 2006
Buy a sheet of black plastic and weight it down at the bottom of the pool with some rocks? For under $20, it would be my first choice...

How much water do you lose to evaporation?

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
Buy a sheet of black plastic and weight it down at the bottom of the pool with some rocks? For under $20, it would be my first choice...

How much water do you lose to evaporation?

Actually, about 2/3 of your heat loss is through evaporation. A pool cover is the most cost-effective way to warm your pool. But it will have little effect at the bottom.

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
I would expect the pool supply company adjacent to El Choco restaurante between Cabarete and Sosua can help.

Mobile: 809 543 7277
Work Phone: (809) 571-1616
Company: Pro Pools Caribe formerly American Water Works

Thanks. Do they speak English or should I ask mi esposa to call?

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
OK, I have completely struck out so far. Tomorrow I am planning a trip to Santiago. Does anybody know of a good "swimming pool" shop there?

champ

Dec 2, 2006
Can anyone update if solar pool covers are available in puerto plata or Santiago 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The black liner is attract & absorb the heat.

Country people (Canada) who have pools paint them a dark grey to heat them....
rather than electrify them or use gas.

I think that was the intent of Peter's post

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Sorry can't help with sourcing the pool cover but there are several methods, some probably available here, for heating the pool. Be wary of "evaporation", some people blame it when they actually have a leak in the pool.  

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When old threads like this are revitalized, and I see old posts, I wonder where people disappeared to.  Anyone know PeterInBrat in real life?  Hope he’s okay

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sorry can't help with sourcing the pool cover but there are several methods, some probably available here, for heating the pool. Be wary of "evaporation", some people blame it when they actually have a leak in the pool.  
I was able to determine our pool issues was evaporation.

After using a chemical blanket pool level dropped less than 20% of prior loss, within the parameters the manufacturer claimed.

When the water got too cold to swim and I stopped using the chemical, the level dropped at the same rate as before.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Still looking for solar pool cover
I have use-specific vinyl bubble-type pool blanket that has been lightly used. What are the dimensions of your pool? I'd sell it cheap.

Our pool is roughly 26 x 18 with odd shapes. I installed the cover split down the middle for easier handling.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I knew a guy who made a couple of solar panels with a copper pipe laid out in a grid in a shallow box on his roof and ran a portion of the water from his pump up to the panels and back down to the pool. There was a valve on the pipe to control the amount of water that detoured through the panels.

Not saying it worked, but his water was never cold when I checked it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
JD
People use large black tubing....
they run all or some of the water through it...
on the garage roof, poolhouse whatever.
Works like a dream - solar heat the pool for little cost - zero cost of operation

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
JD
People use large black tubing....
they run all or some of the water through it...
on the garage roof, poolhouse whatever.
Works like a dream - solar heat the pool for little cost - zero cost of operation

Yep. Same difference.