Health Insurance

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I know everyone has a lot of knowledge which they share. I plan on retiring in about a year and spending at least six months a year in the DR. I am interested in purchasing some health insurance. Could you please share some information on this topic.
Thanks

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Update

I have Senasa. Have used them with good results, however, their individual plan is being phased out. This summer when my policy is up, I will choose then change to one of the following (1 being top choice) based on recommendations from doctors etc;

1. ARS Palic
2. ARS Humano
3. ARS Universal
4. ARS SDS

These are recommendations based on my individual needs, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the best ones out there are probably humano and universal but a good plan will cost you about 100 dollars a month. not sure how old are you but "retired" sounds like an old fart :) so make sure the insurance will accept a person of your age. also, they will not cover pre-existing conditions.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know everyone has a lot of knowledge which they share. I plan on retiring in about a year and spending at least six months a year in the DR. I am interested in purchasing some health insurance. Could you please share some information on this topic.
Thanks

you must be 64 or under to purchase the ONE policy here in the DR which will cover you all your life.. which is Seguro Universal

all the other policies will cover you ONLY til you are 70 and then May or MAY NOT renew

the cost varies... but there is a cap on the amount that they will pay out.. either say.. 360,000 pesos a year or 3 million pesos for a lifetime..

do try the search (although it often does not work for me)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the best ones out there are probably humano and universal but a good plan will cost you about 100 dollars a month. not sure how old are you but "retired" sounds like an old fart :) so make sure the insurance will accept a person of your age. also, they will not cover pre-existing conditions.

Hey DV,
Old Fart,
he he
but of course Right.
acceptance etc depend on Age, prior Health Conditions etc.
in my own case,
I am 46 Years Young,
in the best shape EVER!!! of course, no comments DV, Hoyste?
the so named Platinum Plan I have with ARS Humano since many long years is the Top Plan available for Me at that Insurer, sots around $100.- per Month, I pay and additional $3.50.- per month for the Inclusion of the Flight Ambulance.
most of my Skippers and Mates run on the ARS Humano so named "Royal Plan", a more basic Plan, that costs me Per person including the Taxes $1.067.- Pesos/around 26.-US$ per Month.
the Plans I run with my Boys and Family Members are so named "Private Plans", there are different Variations if a Person is a Employeee in a Company and they have Family Plans with inclusins for Spouses and Childrens etc also.

in all the Years with actually 15 or 16 people on My Insurance Bill We had never any mentionable Issue nor Inconvenience, Hence why I recommend their Services.

I could not even tell if the Service is the same satisfying all around the Isle or of such differs from Area to Area, I don't know.
We are all insured and Handled by their office in Bavaro/Punta Cana, even that we used medical Services and Pharmacy Inclusions all around the Isle, some of My Included Family Members live up in Santiago and use the medical Services up there of course.

and anyways,
the Best/Perfect Medic Insurance to get is the One
We Pay for Our whole long Life
without never using it.

stay healthy

Mike

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I pay and additional $3.50.- per month for the Inclusion of the Flight Ambulance.

(If they keep buzzing my nest, they may lose a bird or two):pirate:

and anyways,
the Best/Perfect Medic Insurance to get is the One
We Pay for Our whole long Life
without never using it.

(ain't that the truth)

Mike

Good luck shopping!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one more thing. if you get the insurance with pharmacy benefits (covering the medicine bought in the pharmacy) check if there any any pharmacies near you that take the darn card. many insurances are not so commonly accepted (unless you retire to SD/santiago).

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
one more thing. if you get the insurance with pharmacy benefits (covering the medicine bought in the pharmacy) check if there any any pharmacies near you that take the darn card. many insurances are not so commonly accepted (unless you retire to SD/santiago).

right DV8,
during the first Years here on the East the only Pharmacy which accepted the Insurance been One in Higuey, 1hr one way drive from here, meanless to mention that it been more convenient and for smaller stuff anyways Cheaper to buy the stuff here than to spend Gas and Time to get it reduced there, lol.
Nowadays many Pharmacies around accept the ARS Humano Pharmacy Card here on the East, including the Pharmacies attached right to the Hospitals.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hi there,

We use Offshore Health & Travel Benefits
Offshore Health and Travel Benefits for Expatriates, Third Country Nationals & Locals: Home

A great company - based in Austin, Texas. If you email them they'll call you back and suggest the best plan. Great company to work with.

Petersen plan is a good one to look at.

do they cover the Needs straight away/accepted by Doctors and Hospitals around the DR,
or do You need to prepay and afterwards get Reimbursed?

thanks

Mike

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
do they cover the Needs straight away/accepted by Doctors and Hospitals around the DR,
or do You need to prepay and afterwards get Reimbursed?

thanks

Mike

This is the answer from Offshore Health.

Thanks Emma. The answer is not easy, it depends on if the clinic or hospital will take intl insurance. We can arrange for this upfront in most cases. Some will take, some require payment or a down payment from the patient. Reimbursement is standard, but we can help create and direct payment some of the time. Each situation is different. Many intl carriers already have direct pay with the larger well known hospitals.

--
Robert Tillotson
Offshore Health & Travel Benefits, LLC
t 512.482.0257
f 512.322.9351
Offshore Health and Travel Benefits for Expatriates, Third Country Nationals & Locals: Home

there is never a charge to assist any of our clients, please visit tilloglobe.com for detailed plan and rate information

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I have a question for the experts:

Could a Dominican citizen that resides outside fo the Dominican Republic get health insurance or do you have to reside in the country?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

Could a Dominican citizen that resides outside fo the Dominican Republic get health insurance or do you have to reside in the country?

you could probably buy it..
why not? But why? since it would only be good inside the country

there are some companies which sell international plans

but they are as expensive as other internaional plans..

Reactions: Bronxboy

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Hi there,

We use Offshore Health & Travel Benefits

A great company - based in Austin, Texas. If you email them they'll call you back and suggest the best plan. Great company to work with.

Petersen plan is a good one to look at.

most of the expat plans that I saw were running at over $300 US per month...

And the one that I used out of Denmark went up 15% a year for the last three years...

can you give some prices for the one that you are on?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i just spoke to universal and palic salud. no problem with seguro for visitors, they only need their passport number. i did not ask for more info but it is possible that extranjero would have to pay more or will not be able to get plan basico but nonetheless - they can have insurance.

for plans see:
ARS Humano
Universal
Inicio - ARS Palic Salud - Administradora de riesgos de salud - Prevenci?n y promoci?n de la salud - Cuidemos la Salud!!!
ARS MONUMENTAL- Nuestra Mision Es Mantenerles Sano
Portada - ARS La Colonial
.: ARS Yunen - Home :.
Untitled Page