Camp David Resort??

J

Joyce

Has anyone been to Camp David Resort in the mountains in Santiago? I see on a website they have a restaurant there with a great view. They give no prices on the site or any contact info. I am more interested in going there for the view and a nice dinner, if anyone can offer any info, I would be very grateful. Thanks, Joyce

T

Tom

Joyce

I had luch there (upon Hillbilly's advice and assistance) two weks ago. the view is without doubt one of the best in the country. the food was very good . but you do pay for the atmosphere.

There is also an intersting "exhibit" of Tujillo's automobiles

Email me for pics if you like

Tom

W

Walker

Camp David Ranch has a thelepone line and internet. But i do not have it.
From there, you can see big part of the Cibao Valley, land Columbus (The spain Almirante de la Mar Oceana) love more.

They are a special "museo" with the lates cars Trujillo used.

It is very cold a nigh, so try to come with a new girl friend.

There is some nice suites for sleeping if you past one bottle of Rioja or Ribera del Duero, at the incredible price below 1,000.00
dominican pesos...ups, you say only want to go for dinner.

Walker Gonzalez

B

Burmell

Every visitor should visit Camp David Ranch. The view is awsome.
The food may mot quite meet the standard of the Pez Dorado down in the city, but is fine. If I have transportation I try to go every time I am in the DR. A few years ago we showed the place to our missionary friends there and they now try to take all of their guests there for a meal. I had the opportunity of teaching the son of the family who ran the ranch at the time I was teaching there. I also tried to ride my single speed bike to the top, but of course couldn't do it. Convieniently someone gave both my bike and I a ride to the top. What a trip back down!

P

Prof. Tiberius Mineola

Re: Santiago: Camp David Resort??

We stayed there for a weekend a month or so ago. Located 10" - 15" outside Santiago in the mountains; sometimes at night the drive can be challenging! Pleasant, not luxurious, rooms. @ US$ 50/night/2 persons, w/o breakfast. Small, well maintained. Seems freqented on weekends by wealthy Dominicans, usually with families. The views are beautiful to spectacular. The food? OK, but not special. If you have to be in Santiago [1 of my least favorite DR cities], the Camp David is pleasant because the air is so pure & clear. Worth 1 visit. Not terribly expensive; the views may be worth the price. Enjoy.

W

Walker

My mistake

Because i never pay for what i eat or the services i used (they do not acept me money, iven i isist) y make a mistake whem i say suites cost around 800.00 per night. The real price is around 500.00, someone told me last night.

You mention Pez Dorado. It is one o best, no in Santiago, in the country.

I do no know how to say in english "Cava", (the place where the richs put the wines in the house) but no many restorantes in the world have 3.50 millions pesos in bottles, like the Pez Dorado.

Another famous one belong to one of que E. Leon Jimenes brothers (i do no know which one) some people say, big cava there no one "igual" in any USA restaurant. Im no saying it is truth (about Jimenes) because ordinary people can no go into his palace, but the Pez Dorado invite me everyfriday to taste riojas and ribera del duero and californianos...

J

Joyce

Re: My mistake

Thank you very much for your info. Are you saying that a suite cost $500.00 pesos ( $31.00 US aproximately)? I would like to find out the average prices of a meal, nothing to expensive, with out wine if possible. Also, what all is there at Camp David Resort to do? Is there any bus from Santo Domingo that goes there, probably not likely since it is on a mountain I guess?
Thanks again.
Joyce

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This may help you....

Not much to do at Camp David. Spectacular views and good food, thats about it. It's really a great weekend hide away in my view, stayed their a few times.

http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/surf/1952/page2.html

http://www.caribbeansupersite.com/domrep/santdine.htm

For the most spectacular view across the Cibao Valley, try Camp David Ranch; get there by driving (or take a taxi, fare about US$10) to Km 7 on Carretera Luper?n, the turn-off is on the right, unsigned, before the El Econ?mico supermarket; a 10-min climb up a winding, paved road leads to the ranch. The food quality is erratic, but the view is breathtaking. Next door is El General?simo, a piano bar decorated with classic cars from the Trujillo era. Some 10 bedrooms and suites have been added, reasonably priced in our E range. At the foot of the hill leading up to Camp David Ranch is Rancho Luna Steak House, Carretera Luper?n Km 7.5, T5813136, F5813145, definitely not recommended for vegetarians.

Do a search on google.com you will find lots of info on Camp David.

Rob.

J

Joyce

Re: This may help you....

Rob, thank you so much for all this info. Is the $10 taxi fare from Santo Domingo or Santiago or another town, please? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but this is our first time to the DR period. We are trying to educate ourselves as much as possible before we book a flight. Thanks again.
Joyce

T

Tom

Camp David is in Santiago, 2.5 hours North of Santo Domingo, so I would assume it to be from Santiago which is still a very good price.

The road from the base to summit is quite a ride and would justify the $10 alone

Tom

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
A Metro bus is around US$5 to Santiago...

The buses/coaches are excellent, comfortable, AC, modern, toilet and video.

Metro Expreso, operate from Calle Hatuey corner Avenida Winston Churchill. At the back of Plaza Central.

Caribe Tours operates from Avenida 27 de Febrero at Leopoldo Navarro.

Both are around the same price and have similar buses/coaches.

Rob.

W

Walker

There is another bus company traeling from Santo Domingo (Plaza Criolla) to POP Haiti, Santiago and Puerto Plata: Terra Bus

L

Larry

They are right, the view is spectacular. You can see the entire city of Santiago. However, if you check in, make sure they know you are not a local. My girlfriend's brother checked in for me. As a result, I was given one of the crappiest rooms ever devised. My balcony overlooked a corrugated metal roof that was covered with construction debris. The balcony door frame didn't fit and left a gap of about a half an inch. The floor throughout the room and on to the balcony was exterior tile. When I wasn't swatting moths out the air, I was curled on my bed in the fetal position desperately clicking my heels together while repeating over and over, "there's no place like home". The next morning when I checked out and moved to the Gran Almirante, the manager told me I should have said I wanted a better room. When I arrived the night before, it was very late, after 11pm. I didn't notice the differences in the buildings. The one where I was sent looked like an unfinished construction site. The other one was in pristine condition and almost glistened in the sunlight. By comparison, mine looked like an unwashed mangy dog.