Puerto Plata this morning from above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lainydoll

Jan 2, 2011
very beautiful! were these pics taken from an airplane or helicopter? we were thinking of taking a helicopter ride somewhere in the DR but havent decided where yet no mater though, i can not wait to go! thank you for sharing!

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Looks to be a Cessna 172 - beautiful photo's on a clear day. I especially like the view of Puerto Plata harbor. Thank you!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Looks to be a Cessna 172 - beautiful photo's on a clear day. I especially like the view of Puerto Plata harbor. Thank you!

Well done Islander.!
It's our 172P-180 Super Hawk based at POP. Been waiting for the good weather to arrive.Beautiful flight today.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
question for you pilots....

why is that commercial airliners have transponders, are tracked by air trafic control, have to have flight plans, etc...

but it SEEMS to me (admittedly uneducated on the subject, thus the reason for the question) that small single or dual engine planes, simply do what they want when they want.

my moms ex husband had a cessna, no idea what model. he takes her out on a first date, drives to this small hick airport, puts her in his plane (in toledo ohio) and fly's her to dinner..... in chicago....

the few times i flew with him, i remember us just going out, getting in the plane, and taking off. i dont recall him ever filing a flight plan with anyone...

am i remembering this correctly... and if so, why is it ok?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
question for you pilots....

why is that commercial airliners have transponders, are tracked by air trafic control, have to have flight plans, etc...

but it SEEMS to me (admittedly uneducated on the subject, thus the reason for the question) that small single or dual engine planes, simply do what they want when they want.

my moms ex husband had a cessna, no idea what model. he takes her out on a first date, drives to this small hick airport, puts her in his plane (in toledo ohio) and fly's her to dinner..... in chicago....

the few times i flew with him, i remember us just going out, getting in the plane, and taking off. i dont recall him ever filing a flight plan with anyone...

am i remembering this correctly... and if so, why is it ok?

It's a bit more complicated than that.

The USA still has one of the more liberal attitudes to General Aviation and there are parts where you can just fly around and not be in controlled airspace but this is becoming very rare these days.
Today, nearly all planes have to have a transponder and most also are equipped to give certain other information to the Air traffic controllers, such as altitude and identification so even though you may not be in direct comm with ATC, they can still "see" you.

As long as the weather is above certain prescribed minimums, you can fly VFR, which is visual flight rules, and are not obliged to file a flight plan in the US, although many of us do.Here in the DR a flight plan is required for all flights but this can be done by radio with the tower, or a visit to the Nav Office. For all instrument navigated flights , or 'IFR', a flight plan and briefing is required everywhere and the plane is in constant comm with ATC from takeoff to landing.
This applies equally to small planes.

If the pilot elects not to file, and goes VFR, then he or she is responsible for the correct operation of the aircraft and separation from other aircraft. ie 'Look an Avoid' and also for their own navigation.In almost all cases, however, the pilot will be talking to ATC somewhere.
There are set 'rules of the air' which you have to learn and obey to keep planes apart (like when you learn to drive , keep right, give way, priorities and so forth). Most of us obey them scrupulously, far more so than drivers fortunately and incidents are few.

For instance here, although I was not on anyone's radar around POP, I was in constant contact with the tower who advise about known traffic or conditions and have a good idea where i am at any time, or they simply ask my position.

Sorry it's so long, but there is this misconception about 'cowboy' fliers and many TV programs and films perpetrate this but it's few and far between.

And yes, we do have to go through the same screening and scanning process as passengers at all international airports.

Status
Not open for further replies.