DR airport closer to my Haiti destination?

B

Bass

I will be working in Quanamenth Haiti during the summer which is located in the northeast portion of the country. It's a ten hour bus ride from Port-Au-Prince but the town sits on the border of the DR. I've tried search engines looking for the location of the airport in the DR which I think is only a couple of hours from my destination but cannot find any information. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!

W

Walker

I think there is no fly airport in the Dominican side, near to Juana Mendez. Only if you come by Puerto Plata, will be about 3.5 hours (bus to Santiago, and them Caribe Tours to Dajabon, and them "motococho" to Juana Mendez (motor ride, 5 minutes).

Be carefull to cross the haitian border by land, the army man of tha country do no ask for papers dominicans or hatians, but for your gringo look, may they ll ask you for special permission to cross the border.

Another way is to take a plain for Fort Lauderdale to Santiago, and them Caribe Tours to Dajabon, about two hours.

Or you can rent a small plane from any commercial dominican airport to Montecristi, i think about 30 minutes to Dajabon.

And God help you in J. Mendez, without any regular service, not movies, wine or another think god provide for human confort...

D

Duck

Walker is kind of right. Except that the ride from Puerto Plata insn't quite so long.

I think the best way is to fly to POP and go to Montecristi, however you may go. From there Dajabon is a stone's throw, and you can cross a somewhat interesting boarder - more organized than the one between Kirgistan and Usbekistan, but not very much .....

Make sure you do the "tourist card" thing when you cross (the arc). No one will ask you. If you cross the river ("rio sangre") before you gave up your Dominican tourist card - you went too far!

About 500m after that stop at the small house on the left to get your Haitian visa ($10 as well). Then you are in Quanaminthe!

If you get over and need a ride/or help, ask for "Gigi" - the short guy. He speaks many languages and has a small "hotel" in Quanaminthe! He is correct (pretty much) as thing go ....

Best wishes! You're in for a good time. I've never had a bad experience there!

Drop me a mail if you want to know a bit more!

B

Bass

Thanks for the information, I knew that if I kept pushing I would find someone who is familiar with the area. I "will" e-mail you in the future. Once again, thanks!