BabyDoc has returned

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Just rec'd a msg from a friend who is in Port au Prince. BabyDoc arrived sometime today back in Port Au Prince aboard an Air France flght. she sad the streets are filled with cheering people...

Reactions: mike l

ginjer29

Jan 14, 2010
Looking for my tinfoil hat

How and why? I find it hard to believe this guy just up and hopped on a plane to Haiti, just like that...some heavy duty paths must have been cleared for him to return. Why now?? I don't get this at all.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm hoping he'll be ignored, or hounded - or at least laughed - out of the country. The OP mentioned cheering crowds, the press reports mention him being welcomed by small groups of supporters/dozens of supporters, but what is the real feeling on the ground?

Jul 4, 2010
It's been about a quarter century since he was president. He was a young chap of 19 when he became president. I'm sure he's learned something in the interim. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, Actually, Haiti was better off during his father's administration.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I was there in the 80s. Brutal dictatorship, but if there were any trains they would have run on time.

Which is worse, lefty adolescents being slapped down, albeit brutally, or the entire population brutalizing and raping each other as now?

It's Haiti.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Let's get serious, because Duvalier's return could get just that. 'Benefit of the doubt"?! This is insane! Nothing good can come from Baby Doc's return! Do you in your wildest believe the funds pledged for Haiti's rebuilding will ever be dispursed if he is anyway in the mix?! IMO this is a potential disaster. How could he have gotten permission to enter the country?!

Last edited:

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
I have two friends that are currently in Port Au Prince...they said this morning the streets are quiet. There were quite a few in the streets last night appearing to cheer his return.
As already posted, he didn't just appear on his own. After reading several news articles online, they say that he was greeted by a crowd of several hundred cheering supporters. How did they know he would be arriving?

Someone knew and got the word out to those who would be glad to see him there.

Like this country hasn't suffered enough?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Right now, Haiti needs a strong man. Jean-Claude might just be that stron man. In the streets of Cap-Haitien and Port-au-Prince, he is very popular. Ask anyone old enough to remember, and you will be told that things were much better in the days of Jean-Claude...
Stop being so politically correct, trying to import your system in a land where it simply proved no to work.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Right now, Haiti needs a strong man. Jean-Claude might just be that stron man. In the streets of Cap-Haitien and Port-au-Prince, he is very popular. Ask anyone old enough to remember, and you will be told that things were much better in the days of Jean-Claude...
Stop being so politically correct, trying to import your system in a land where it simply proved no to work.

Someone please pinch me and tell me I'm still living in the 21st century! I'm hardly trying to be PC Squat! And I certainly am not suggesting imposing any particular system on anyone elses land! However, I would hope you do not suggest a return to the Dark Ages. Baby Doc's return is not a good thing!

Jul 4, 2010
Someone please pinch me and tell me I'm still living in the 21st century! I'm hardly trying to be PC Squat! And I certainly am not suggesting imposing any particular system on anyone elses land! However, I would hope you do not suggest a return to the Dark Ages. Baby Doc's return is not a good thing!

Actually, the Dark Ages is a lot better than what Haiti is currently going through.