Sanchez to Las Terrenas

rwing93

Jan 14, 2011
Is the road leading to Las Terenas out of Sanchez 417? From what I have seen on a couple of maps it looks like it might be 417. Can I navigate this road with a small car or should I have a jeep or something similar?

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Is the road leading to Las Terenas out of Sanchez 417? From what I have seen on a couple of maps it looks like it might be 417. Can I navigate this road with a small car or should I have a jeep or something similar?

Since no one has answered you I will try to give you an idea of the road but my information is a couple of years old.

There is only one road from Sanchez to Las Terrenas. I don't think it has a route number. It is about 17km long and it has a lot of curves and goes over the mountains and into Las Terrenas. The road is paved so it was OK to drive a regular car as long as you drove carefully. There were a few places that had mild washouts but you do not need a 4WD.

Maybe someone who has been there more recently can give a better description, but I doubt that the road would be worse than it was 2 years ago.

bob

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
More then you asked for but was just there 1 month ago. Got these from another DR1 memeber.

Please note that there are references to both MILES and KLM.

The road is new all the way from POP to Sanchez. A few bad spots but not bad at all.

#######################################################################################

Its 112 miles from Playa Dorado to Sanchez, and another 14 miles over the mountain
to El Portillo.

***************************************************************************************

Drive straight from, Pto Pta to Sanchez, then take a left after the Gas station to go
to Las Terrenas. Once there, go all the way to the ocean.

***************************************************************************************

Set your odometer at ZERO when leaving or passing the Playa Dorada complex at the East
end of Puerto Plata.

Go straight on the road leaving Puerto Plata (#5) East bound following signs towars
"Nagua" or "Samana". You reach Nagua before you reach Samana so after Nagua just look
for signs to Samana.

At odometer reading of about 36 kms, when passing thru Sabaneta de Yassica, keep on
going "straight" East bound towards "Nagua" (don't turn right at an intersection which
indicates "Moca"!)

Depending on your speed and stops about 1 to 2 hours or so later you reach NAGUA, a
small town which you pass thru straight until at it's East end you need to head sharply
LEFT at a 3 point intersection which is marked "<-Samana / San Fancisco de Macoris ->".
Your odometer could read around 125km at that time.

Less than an hour later, after going thru a long road which leads you thru a coconut
palms forest immediately along the shore, and crossing the rice fields which separate
the Samana peninsula from the rest of the island, you will pass Sanchez to your right
and get onto the peninsula on it's Southern side (bayside). Shorlty after Sanchez
(about 5km after or approximate odometer reading of a total of +/- 163kms), you need
to turn left (yes, it's marked " <- Las Terrenas / Samana -> ) and you will
want to head off left (North) up OVER the hills. There will be a small sign on your
right that reads Las Terrenas, turn left.

If you miss this turn and end up in Samana, then look for a sign to El Limon. It is
probably another 30 minutes. It will be a left turn and is a better road then the road
from Sanchez over the mountians but is longer and will take more time.

Be extra careful when crossing the peninsula (over the "hill"), it's a windy narrow
road in not always optimal conditions.There are some very bad places in the road, go
slow and be careful.

People can pose a risk when their attention is being diverted by the beautiful views
over the Samana bay and later on the North side, coming down, the Atlantic Ocean. There
are some stopping possibilities which you can catch as long as you go slowly.

The trip from Puerto Plata to Samana is in my opinion one of the most rewarding ones as
far as the scenery and trip experience. You will be amazed as to how the general
ambiance and vegetation can change, almost every 20 or so miles.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Road to Las Terrenas

Hi:

I live in Las Terrenas and drive the road regularly. After you pass the Texaco station in Sanchez you take a the first hard left and you will be heading up the mountain. There are many switchbacks and the first half of the way to LT is not very good. Many potholes and rough areas. They also have been working on this road. It is about 12-14KM to Las Terrenas. You can do it in a sedan but if you have a choice get a small SUV, Chevy Tracker or something similiar. You will be happy you did. Take your time. It is a pretty ride and will take you approximately 30 minutes more or less. When you come off the moucntain follow the main road thru the business district, which stretches for a mile or more and eventually you will hit the beach area. Good luck.

S