ESL /Learning another language - Need advice

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hello all!

I need your help? I am trying to buy an interactive language program for my husband to learn English. He is currently going to school but we both feel it is too slow (1.5hr for 3 days a week). So he wants to get something like Rosetta Stone that he can do at home for a longer period of time and as much as he can a week. This program is costly but def a lot less than the monthly tuition at his current school!

So I decided to do some research and read some bad reviews on RS ? I figured because usually a program that is so popular is usually a marketing manager?s dream come true? needless to say it doesn?t look like is the best way to go. But has anyone used it here?

I am also looking at the Pimsleur program and just trying to do some research online.

Anybody have any recommendations for us?

Thanks!
TD

Sunkissed

Jan 17, 2011
Hi, I have used Rosetta Stone...but to learn Latin American Spanish not English. You're right in saying its costly but it is actually quite effective. I learnt basic Spanish fairly quickly, but my only problem with it was it does only use the language you are trying to learn...emersion as they like to call it. I bought a dictionary to use along side it so that when they introduced a word that bore no resemblance to the picture flash card they were showing I could at least look it up and stop myself shouting at the computer!!

Good luck your husband in his studies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i would rather pay for an on line one like open english(as advertised on tv - dont know the cost) or livemocha ( you can pay to upgrade, I think some lessons are free), I think rosetta stone is too easy to cheat at without learning very much and not as much use as you would be led to beleive by the price

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Sunkissed, thanks for your reply... I meant used RS or any other system alike to learn ANY language, not just English.

Thanks!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have heard the Ingles sin Barreras is actually pretty good, any comments?

When with lived in Florida in the early 2000's years it was all the rage. We considered it until we found out about the price.

As your husband is an adult I would recommend he stick with the classes and maybe augment it with online grammar classes. You can help him a great deal by answering questions and helping with pronunciation, especially the alphabet and the sounds of letters, etc.

As far as immersion goes for any adult to learn a language, funny is I've met numerous gringos that used this method and they believe they are "fluent" yet from what I could tell few Dominicans could understand them. Therefore, I would recommend being patient and in 2 to 3 years the dividends will really pay off. Another bit of advice is that I've seen way too many Dominicans fall in love with catchy phrases to their detriment as opposed to learning correct grammar.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks guys, great Feedback...

Chip, i would much rather stick wit the classes too, but too costly for beginners. Im thinking that he can do an online or a program that can at least get him into ESL classes in Community College - eventually he wants to get his degree here. so he we are trying to learn real English with Grammar not just learn phrases.

This is the issue I found with RS. no grammar - just words...

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Some churches offer free English classes. You can check in your neighborhood. I know one where I live. Good luck!

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
You can do a free program online called Livemocha.com.
I believe its for numerous languages, we used it for a while until we got a private tutor. It covers alot, from visual, writing, speaking and with feedback.We enjoyed using it, but the tutor works the best.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is the issue I found with RS. no grammar - just words...

You hit the nail on the head.

As far as the knowledge requirements of getting into an ESL program, from what I've seen when I was in college almost 20 years ago was that of a level of say 2-4 years and I base this on having a couple of foreign friends who passed or were trying to pass the TOEFL (mostly Chinese) and judging their English and comparing it to my Spanish knowledge after the same amount of time. I'm not sure things can be really rushed a great deal because of the need of the brain to be able to assimilate the new info adequately. Hopefully he is watching tv and listening to the radio exclusively in English. This will help a great deal with the brain getting accustomed to English sounds even if he has no idea what is being said.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have heard the Ingles sin Barreras is actually pretty good, any comments?

When with lived in Florida in the early 2000's years it was all the rage. We considered it until we found out about the price.

Too bad it's not more affordable, knowing and using proper grammar makes a big difference in how people perceive you.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Too bad it's not more affordable, knowing and using proper grammar makes a big difference in how people perceive you.

Don

What in the world does this have to do about the topic? You must be really bored. BTW, I'm sorry my English bothers you but I do find it odd you only criticize me on the board with regard to this topic.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Don

What in the world does this have to do about the topic? You must be really bored. BTW, I'm sorry my English bothers you but I do find it odd you only criticize me on the board with regard to this topic.

Chip, it doesn't seem to me like he is criticizing you? His point is valid: He laments the price of the program and states the fact that if you speak better you are perceived differently. Therefore an expensive program might prevent people who don't speak good English from getting ahead in a society where class matters.

I think he quoted you to make his point about affordability?

Not knowing if you two have history...seems like you are jumping down his throat.

to the OP:

Here is a great site to help your husband.
Dave's ESL Cafe: Free English Grammar Lessons

Click in to the grammar lesson database, but look for "Stuff for Students" on the toolbar to see even more support materials for learning English.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hi guys, thanks so much for the feedback. I am def not doing RS b/c of the price and the lack of grammar. So we are looking at all the website choices you guys offered.

@Chip - I agree with Mainegirl, regardless of your history with Don...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think he quoted you to make his point about affordability?

Not knowing if you two have history...seems like you are jumping down his throat.

I'll be glad to post here some 20-30 odd posts of Don criticizing my grammar and a pm too. He never criticizes anyone else though.