verifying your permanent residency without going through your lawyer?

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
I do not speak Spanish and I do not live in the D.R. but I have a lawyer who processed my D.R. permanent residency for me and claims it is finished. Rather than trust him I would like to know a way I can verify if my permanent residency has indeed been processed or not. How do I do that if I do not speak Spanish? Would immigration respond to someone who speaks Spanish who inquirers on my behalf?

Once I can verify it then I could travel to the D.R. to receive the perm. residency card through the help of my lawyer. But I do not want to travel to the D.R. just on his word for reasons I do not want to get into here.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wait for a reply from Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in this section.

But as a layman, I think you should have your lawyer scan the documents and send them to you as an attachment.

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
Could Mr. Guzman call immigration for me and verify that my permanent residency card has been processed? If I ask my lawyer over the phone I have no way of knowing if I can trust him. If he says yes, it was processed I want to verify that what he is telling me is true, so I can then go down to the D.R. and pick it up.

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LAWYER TO SEND THE PERMANENT RESIDENCY CARD OUT OF THE D.R. AND TO THE U.K.?

Or is that illegal to do?

Thank you

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Could Mr. Guzman call immigration for me and verify that my permanent residency card has been processed? If I ask my lawyer over the phone I have no way of knowing if I can trust him. If he says yes, it was processed I want to verify that what he is telling me is true, so I can then go down to the D.R. and pick it up.

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LAWYER TO SEND THE PERMANENT RESIDENCY CARD OUT OF THE D.R. AND TO THE U.K.?

Or is that illegal to do?

Thank you

Mr Guzman is not going to make the call unless you become a client of his law firm. He donates his time to answer questions posed by board members, but doesn't do any legal work unless the person is a client and pays for the time involved.

Regarding your own lawyer, I hope you haven't paid him, or at least no more than a partial payment. Your best protection is holding money that he won't get unless and until the card is in your hand.

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
Fully agree with Ken2.
And: The lawyer can not get your residency card without you showing up at Migracion office personally, because they need to take a picture of you, same procedure as with the provisional residency card.
So when he says it is ready it means usually that all necessary paperwork has been done and you only need to go to Migracion, pay a fee, possibly pay a VIP fee for reducing waiting time, have the picture taken and getting your residency card half an hour later.
If you want to have a cedula (dominican ID) as well, you have to go to the JCE office Extranjera, pay again a fee, have a picture taken and get your cedula, takes usually not more than half an hour.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Fully agree with Ken2.
And: The lawyer can not get your residency card without you showing up at Migracion office personally, because they need to take a picture of you, same procedure as with the provisional residency card.
So when he says it is ready it means usually that all necessary paperwork has been done and you only need to go to Migracion, pay a fee, possibly pay a VIP fee for reducing waiting time, have the picture taken and getting your residency card half an hour later.
If you want to have a cedula (dominican ID) as well, you have to go to the JCE office Extranjera, pay again a fee, have a picture taken and get your cedula, takes usually not more than half an hour.

If memory serves me and there has been no procedure changes, before you pick up you residence (card) you need to get your cedula. To get your cedula you need to have your residence. So there is no way a lawyer can pick anything up without your presence at both offices..

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
If memory serves me and there has been no procedure changes, before you pick up you residence (card) you need to get your cedula. To get your cedula you need to have your residence. So there is no way a lawyer can pick anything up without your presence at both offices..

Please ignore my post. It applies to temporary residence. But you also have to be pesent for the permanent one.

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
The Immigration Department issues a certification when the residency application is approved. Have your lawyer scan it and send it to you by email.

My lawyer does not use email.

If I am in the U.K. right now, can my lawyer get the perm. residency card and send it to me via FEDEX? Or, do I have to legally go to the D.R. to pick it up?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Have him fax the certification, or tell him to go to a cyber cafe.

Hopefully you are still holding a good chunk of his money so he has to do what you say.

I doubt very much that the card will be issued until you are there to complete the process. You've asked this question several times and those of us who have been through the process keep telling you that you need to be here.

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
Ken2 and Mr. Guzman:

I took all the photos for the permanent residency and did all the tests for it when I was there about 11 months ago and was given the understanding it could be sent to me but he could have told me that so he would NOT MISS THE SALE and see me go to another lawyer. Another lawyer told me they could send it to me via FEDEX but how do I know they were telling the truth also. The laws could have changed also.

So knowing what I just told you above, were both lawyers telling me they could do something THAT COULD NOT BE DONE LEGALLY or is it possible for a lawyer to get the card from immigration if all the photos and tests were done previously and send it to me via FEDEX to the U.K.?

Knowing this fresh information that I just gave to you please give me more feedback on what can or can not be done. I would like to know for sure to end this thread.

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Start a new thread.

Fabio Guzman has already answered your first post. He is not likely to go into the thread to see if there are follow up questions.

Start a new thread with a different question. For example:

Title: Can A Residency Card Be Sent Me By FedEx

Mr. Guzman, can the lawyer I hired to get my permanent residency send me the residency card by FedEx, or must I go to the Dominican Republic to get it after the certification is issued?

Just ask this question and wait for a reply. If others post their ideas, don't get involved, just stick with the question you started thread with and wait for Fabio's reply.

BilldeBurgh

Jan 26, 2010
Lawyers and residence

Spartacus

-Are you sure your lawyer is a lawyer?

If you answered yes to the above:

-Are you sure he knows what he is doing?

-Are you sure he has the right connections in Migracion? (or else, it'll take forever)

-Did he ask for a clean sheet (criminal record) certificate? (That's a relatively new requirement, that wasn?t in force 11 months ago, but will stall your file forever)

How much did you pay up front? (More than US$1,000.00 makes you another one of those that are born every minute).

Reactions: waytogo