fast track drivers license?

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
Is it possible to grease the palms of the right people to get a permanent drivers license during a ten day stay in the D.R.?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
your lost luggage is gonna take a week to find you in this country, and that's with vaseline intensive care........

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
You don?t have to grease anybody. With a Dominican residency, cedula and a European license you can do it in two days if your embassy / consulate is willing to certify that your existing national license is valid / genuine. Head over to DGTT first and check the requirements, there were some additional bits and pieces if I remember correct. It took me two days. With a US license I think you have to do an exam.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Is it possible to grease the palms of the right people to get a permanent drivers license during a ten day stay in the D.R.?

It is not only "possible" but a common thing employed by those that can't go the legit way; sadly this is the one way to find themselves in trouble when "sh*t" happens.

Getting a "greased palms" DL is not the same as getting a "legal" DL. One can fool a Police agent during a spot check for a minor stop, the other gets you a sea of trouble if arrested for anything under the Sun and the DL checked in the Interior and Policia files.

Many here are still unaware that Interior and Policia is now cross referencing data with the JCE's databanks live-time. The only ones that still can't do that yet (but will soon be able to carry such task on mobile units on the field) are agents in the streets.

All it takes is for a Police unit with a radio to call in the data in your "fast-track" DL, if the operator at the other end carries out the job as trained, the DL is going to be a heap of trouble.

This is the same as asking: Can I buy marihuana in the DR, a gun, an M-16, etc...?
Just because it can be done, doesn't make it legal or of use to you.

I provided plenty of warnings here in DR1 about changes being rolled out in the DR. Soon being in the country beyond what your "90 days" Visa-free permits allows, will find you visiting an immigration office to pay hefty fines or worst deported, with little chance or ever being allowed into the DR again.

The only "legal" fast tracks to anything in the DR are the ones posted in clear signs in many of the state's official agencies. There you can see a VIP or fast track fee list for the legal services you seek (if available).

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
You don?t have to fast track anything, or grease anybody to do it in two days, that?s what it takes if you have a Dominican residency and a cedula and a European license. It took me one morning at the cancilleria to legalize a document and one day at DGTT.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, its possible... 10 days may be tight.

Yes, the cedula is req'd.

Yes, there are legit and non-legit DL's

Mine was done in POP.... I think SDQ has clamped down.

Mine was 4000 pesos..... passed the Spanish computer test w/ a tutor on site.... got photo temporay DL.
Temporary went to permanent w/o a road test ... just another photo

Just need to find your main man.... start w/ the driving schools.

BTW, I was in the official office in POP w/ all the regular applicants.
This was not bogus.

Driving schools is the start

WW

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Spartacus mentioned in another post he?s from the UK, with a European license you don?t have to do a driving school or any exam. DGTT here..

Over and out......................

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
I do not want one of those greased palms D.L.s

I was just asking the question out of curiousity since I was reading something about these in some other countries on the net somewhere and thought I would pop the question here.

I personally want to do everything legally.

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
Short question as the website of DGTT is under construction and was hacked: I can not find the adress, where are they located in Santo Domingo and do they have offices outside SD where you can get the dominican license with an european license (which was veryfied by the ambassy)?
thanks
Berliner

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
In SD it?s on Av. Tiradentes, search for "DGTT Santo Domingo" on Google Earth and you?ll find it. Other places I don?t know.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
In SD it?s on Av. Tiradentes, search for "DGTT Santo Domingo" on Google Earth and you?ll find it. Other places I don?t know.

It's a block or two north of the stadium on Tiradentes, on the right. Very heavy traffic and only limited parking in the yard, street parking not easy to find near the DGTT offices.

As has been mentioned on DR1, DGTT is very well organised and totally against the "greased palm" approach with their staff and the touts that used to plague the place. Big notices inside and out warning against this.

There is a branch of Banreservas on the premises where you can pay the fees, but because of crowding and to save lots of time, it's better to pay the dues elsewhere before you go there. It used to be possible to download the forms from the DGTT website for payment at any branch of the bank, but I don't know if that's still the case. Anyway your local branch of Banreservas will tell you how you can pay.

Good luck.
Bryan

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
why is it necessary to test for a Dominican DL when you have a U.S. liscense, but not a European one?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Because the US consulate will not provide you with the proper document guaranteeing your US license is valid while at last some European countries will provide you with the necessary paperwork.

US Citizens therefor have to go through the licensing process.

Ahhhh.. that makes sense. Yet another example of my U.S. taxes hard at work.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not sure but maybe

Ahhhh.. that makes sense. Yet another example of my U.S. taxes hard at work.

As US licenses are issued by each state, and most European licenses are issued by the country. Maybe the US consulate does not want to contact individual states??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I was just asking the question out of curiousity since I was reading something about these in some other countries on the net somewhere and thought I would pop the question here.

The license itself is entirely legal.... the process is accelerated, that may be questioned.

In Canada, one just exchanges their US license for a Cdn one after passing an eye test.

The biggest reason to get the RD license is to ensure that your insurance is valid.
That validity is only needed if you own and operate a vehicle registered here.

Maybe you don't need the hassle of the licensing

WW

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth

This is what you do, if you have a Dominican residency and a cedula.

1) Call your embassy in SD and ask them if they are willing to certify that your existing national drivers license is genuine and valid. If they are willing to do that, make sure they include the license number, and expiration date.

2) Take that document to the cancilleria on Independencia and get it legalized. Before you go through the door to the cancilleria go to BanReservas next door and pay 950 pesos for the license and 620 pesos (I believe it was) to legalize the document from the embassy. These are standard rates, no smearing, greasing or money under the table thing. Nothing to pay at the DGTT.

3) Cancilleria next door. Hand over the document from the embassy, plus the receipt from BanReservas (620 pesos) and explain, these people are familiar with the situation and respond accordingly. This takes one hour and fortyfive min to two hours.

4) Go home and make triple copies of everything. Residency, cedula, drivers license, both front and back, doc from the embassy, both receipts.

5) Bring everything to DGTT next morning. The people in the reception will guide you to the correct office to start with. The office you?re in will tell you where to go next.

Along the way there?s an eye test and a blood test to check blood type.

Last stop is taking picture and do finger print, wait 15 min and you have it. You?re done by mid day or early afternoon.

This is what it takes, assuming your embassy / consulate is willing to certify that you already have a valid foreign license, and that license is accepted in the DR. Two days is what it takes, no speeding up of the process required.

And BTW, from the DGTT website.
Nota (2): Las Licencias de Conducir de lo Estados Unidos de Am?rica no se Homologan por lo tanto para la obtenci?n de la licencia Dominicana deber?n optar por el proceso de emisi?n de una licencia Nueva.