Speeding Ticket on New Samana Highway

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
Somewhat amazingly, my wife received a citation on the new highway that connects Samana and Santo Domingo from an police offer with his new radar gun. She was given a time/date to appear at court, and is anxious about what might happen. Anyone else have this happen to them? What was the consequence/fine? Anyone not appear and have their name "red flagged" at other national department?

THANKS! And drive safe....

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
A mistake

Pay the ticket and be done with it. Otherwise you may in the future be arrested and have your car towed (usually damaged during the towing procedure) and find yourself in jail for a short time AND pay a lot more. Not paying means that every time you are stopped you will be worried that this may be the time!! Someday this country will discover computers and you do not want to be among the new victims. The fine is not that much.

Reactions: Aspire

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
Speed limit is 80 kph.

So, the court date is just to show up and pay a fine - they didn?t tell her the fine, nor does it say on the paper, they just gave the citation with date/time....

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I got stopped in a road block on this highway and didnt have my matricula/insurance papers (I did have them in the car, just couldn't find them at the time), we paid RD$500 in cash and were on our way.

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
Speed limit is 80 kph.

So, the court date is just to show up and pay a fine - they didn?t tell her the fine, nor does it say on the paper, they just gave the citation with date/time....

Who needs this TOLL road with a 80 km/hour (50 miles/h) limit??!!

I drive to La Romana and back at 140-160 k/h normally.

What a rip-off!! At each step!

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
....... Someday this country will discover computers and you do not want to be among the new victims. The fine is not that much.

stick your cedula number in Amet's "consultas" site. if it comes out green you have nothing to worry about. if your name turns up in red, then pay the fine (still don't have much to worry about).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
darn, first there was this dude with a seatbelt ticket, now the speed. and they fine for not having papers? what comes next? a ticket for drunk driving? this country is going to dogs, i tell ya.

Reactions: Africaida

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I [luckily] didn't get stopped, but counted 6 that did on my last roundtrip. I call it a rolling toll booth or speed trials fee.

The twisties through the park are a blast in a porsche:bunny:

May 8, 2009
watch out for the shady areas

These guys usually like to hang out in shady areas, such as under the large sign which is near the second toll, just after the overpass coming from the north.

Though they have been getting smarter lately and been mixing it up-

cc

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I [luckily] didn't get stopped, but counted 6 that did on my last roundtrip. I call it a rolling toll booth or speed trials fee.

The twisties through the park are a blast in a porsche:bunny:

Heh heh!

I'll second that! I took my Porsche down that road on Christmas eve. I guess I was lucky, i didn't see any over enthusiastic AMET cops with radar guns.

I guess I was lucky.

I had the road all to myself, what a blast! What a shame the fun detectors are out. It's so obvious that it is a fund raising exercise and not about safety.

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
At all Porsche drivers: be aware that beside speed controls there are often cows standing on the highway. Almost hit some in the night, reduced my speed voluntarely after this encounter...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I thought speeding tickets on the Autopista John Paul ll was R.D. related! I got one once, just before the New Year, after a discussion with the policeman we agreed that it would a lot less time, trouble and expense if I just gave him RD$500 and went on my way. I now keep my eyes open for yellow jackets and slow down to pass them. Any group of people is carefully scanned for such yellow jackets or waistcoats. Just by the way, anybody know why the R.D. has such a ridiculously low speed limit? In the U.K. its 70 mph ( 112 kph) but the police tend to ignore anything not above 80mph (128kph).

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
I just drove the highway this past sunday doing about 120 average. I guess I was lucky no Amet.

But I have to think the 30 motorcycle riders that passed me wish there had been.

I guess they figured riding at 130, doing tricks, taking pictures, next to each other was safe. I wound up passing them about 15 minutes later, stopped along the road trying to help 2 of their own who crashed and fell into a ditch just as the road goes from straight to curves. Maybe next time they'll pay more attention to the signs than to each other.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Them scumbags just got me too.....traveling south before the first toll booth.....105kph, dirtbags....1000peso fine and have to pay at Banco Reservas..... the told me they ignore anything under 100 kph, and the limit was 80kph..... they also use LIDER nor radar. there was another speed trap in the middle of the highway, just after the great curves.....they should have that road paid off soon with all the tickets they hand out.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Ticket

A friend of mine from SD got a ticket on his way to Las Terrenas. He said he just will go and pay the ticket and be done with it. I can't remember what the fine was but I know it wasn't very much, maybe 25-30 USD. There is no other ramifications as long as you dispose of this ticket.

S

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Unless they changed the system lately, you first have to go to a fiscal and get the ticket stamped with the price and his signature. Then you go to BanReservas and pay it.

But you can try the Bank first and see if they take it.