Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Thinking of moving back to DR

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Thinking of moving back to DR

    I'm Dominican and have lived in the US for over 20 years. Married with 2 children (college and middle school), my wife is also Dominican. Families and friends in DR think is not a good idea due to safety, especially with teenagers and a comfortable living style (we are financially OK). Sun and beaches are not the problem since I have that were I live. The main reason for going back is an investment opportunity with financially sound and very hardworking friends who live in DR, plus I miss my country. A lot of work is needed to move the business forward, and I am OK with that. Again, the main concern is safety, but I really miss my country, which I visit at least once a year. I need help from someone who has gone thru this since at my age (early 50's), there is not too much room for error. I still have lots of friends and family in DR.

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i'm a gringo (56) who has owned property in SD for 20 years. i visit for a month or two but always return to the US for "just a few more dollars" and then it's a permanent move, or so i think. my wife is dominican, lots of relatives and friends, some really rich and important ones too. in the past year i've lost 5 friends to the cemetary who were in their fifties. how much time do you think ya got left. go for it! before you can't enjoy it now before you're too old to enjoy anything more than a sponge bath......i busted my butt most of my life, now it's my turn to sit in the sun, wife and kids will be fine. this time it's for me, if i don't have money for son #3 to go to college, too damn bad. i'm going to SD, my house in NY is for sale, my next ticket south is one way.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amparocorp View Post
    i'm going to SD, my house in NY is for sale, my next ticket south is one way.
    Hey, with all the snow NY is getting, I do not blame you one bit!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    and now it's ice and snow, been on the roof with a shovel, i think it was more dangerous to be on the roof than to walk the streets of SD...............

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amparocorp View Post
    i'm a gringo (56) who has owned property in SD for 20 years. i visit for a month or two but always return to the US for "just a few more dollars" and then it's a permanent move, or so i think. my wife is dominican, lots of relatives and friends, some really rich and important ones too. in the past year i've lost 5 friends to the cemetary who were in their fifties. how much time do you think ya got left. go for it! before you can't enjoy it now before you're too old to enjoy anything more than a sponge bath......i busted my butt most of my life, now it's my turn to sit in the sun, wife and kids will be fine. this time it's for me, if i don't have money for son #3 to go to college, too damn bad. i'm going to SD, my house in NY is for sale, my next ticket south is one way.
    Good for you...life is too short!
    Good luck with sale of your house and the move!

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I made the same move 12 years ago, and havenīt looked back ever since. Good luck!

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    do a test run first, being here on vacation is not the same as a full commitment

  8. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    935
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If it's not safety, it's la luz, if it's not la luz, it's que esto esta malo, if it's esto esta malo, then it's that esto se esta acabando. So do your thing papo. It's your life, my girlfriend keeps busting my chops about the heat and the cold water but I keep telling her I am moving back to Santo Domingo. I feel you, everyday that goes by I feel that dolorcito to be back over their. So dale, you know the deal haste el pobre, pero vive rico!!!

  9. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    Hey, with all the snow NY is getting, I do not blame you one bit!!!!!!
    Heehee. Good one.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lando Calrisian,
    What do you mean Haste el pobre, pero vive rico? it sounds good, and it seems that you know the feeling. Same here the dolorcito, and the wife with her pushback

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •