Watch out for parking scam at airport

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I recently went on a trip using Santiago to fly AA instead of POP, since it was so much cheaper. I parked what I thought was long term parking at STI airport for six days.

When I returned, they wanted to charge me RD$1,500 for six days parking at RD$250 per night, and went on and on about the 'overnight parking' form that was supposed to have been filled out.

After arguing with a guy with a gun for about 20 minutes, I paid the parking and left. They gave me a receipt and I wrote down the names, in case it is a scam at least I had something, but it starting to sound more and more like they actually do have a RD$250 per night parking charge. Can someone shed some light on this? Maybe I parked in the wrong lot?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I don't remember the price, I think it's more like 100 pesos per day...but there is a separate locked lot for long-term parking. When you enter you tell the guard at the entrance gate you want to park long term and he meets you at the lot with a form to fill out. When you return you go to the booth at the entrance with your receipt and he follows you back to the lot where he unlocks the gate, you check your car out together and he gives you a receipt which you pay at the exit booth.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
there was no guard when I entered, and even if there was, there was no way for me to know about this. I took the ticket from the machine where you hit the button. I guess I will know for next time, what a rip off!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Who..........

..........had the gun? lol.............

....you should have just LOST the ticket......how much would they have charged then???

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If I had known how much I would be charged, I would have lost the ticket. But the car was within sight of the toll booths, so not sure if that would have worked anyhow. Typical lack of signs as usual in this country.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
1,500. divided 36. = 41.66 that is a bargain, come and park your car here in Us to see how much you are to pay.

JJ

Sep 19, 2005
1,500. divided 36. = 41.66 that is a bargain, come and park your car here in Us to see how much you are to pay.

JJ
ha ha

Everything is relative!!!!

you cant make $100K a year as a garbage man in Santiago!!!!!!!

where is the long term parking at STI?? past the terminals??? where they have parking places with one way in ?? so you cant cut through and make your trip to the ticket booth faster?

bbad bob

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
ha ha

where is the long term parking at STI?? past the terminals??? where they have parking places with one way in ?? so you cant cut through and make your trip to the ticket booth faster?

bbad bob

LOL - good one! and oh so true...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
ha ha

bbad bob

You make a sharp right after passing the entrance booth..it's a fenced in and locked area.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
long term parking - not a scam !

I don't remember the price, I think it's more like 100 pesos per day...but there is a separate locked lot for long-term parking. When you enter you tell the guard at the entrance gate you want to park long term and he meets you at the lot with a form to fill out. When you return you go to the booth at the entrance with your receipt and he follows you back to the lot where he unlocks the gate, you check your car out together and he gives you a receipt which you pay at the exit booth.

You are exactly right DavidZ - and by the way - the price is actually $70RD / day. We just came back from 20 days away - price was exactly $1400 RD. No hassles or scams. And the guys there were VERY polite, courteous and efficient. That's not surprising - we have always found that the attitude-in-general - of people in the service industry in Santiago is much better than here on the North Coast. Maybe that should be a whole new thread - but I digress ! ;)

Now : about the line-up to get out - that's another story - (and not the long-term parking guys fault). Lots of horn blowing, jumping the queue, etc - does this sound familiar ?

Sep 19, 2005
You make a sharp right after passing the entrance booth..it's a fenced in and locked area.
ok, not the place i was thinking... I dont think i have even looked that way before!!!

for some reason my mind was trained to take a look at the quality of women standing along the curb !!!!!!!!!!! seldom was my mind let down!! ha ha ha

I know..

bbad bad bob

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Now : about the line-up to get out - that's another story - (and not the long-term parking guys fault). Lots of horn blowing, jumping the queue, etc - does this sound familiar ?
For me is very familiar as I was involve in this traffic almost every day for a couple years....
Oh, by the way I almost forgot.... The long term parking area is close by "Aviacion general" that is the area located at the end of the lot when you pass in front the taxi union booth (office) and you will notice a divisor fens.

Watch the tickets they change of color from day to day!!!

JJ