Pirates beat up ass.subsecretary of Tourism

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Yesterday an assistant sub-secretary of Tourism was beaten up by pirates (persons that sell activities to the hotel-guests without any insurance or permits) at the beach of Bavaro in front of officials of the local Politur.
Politur did not react nor took any action! The government-official was checking the activities of the pirates which are a real thread for the tourism-business.
Not only do these illegal activities effect the almost 45 water sport-centers, it also affects the tourists. Lots of accidents happen because of bad equipment and bad service and attention.
As so often things are being "checked" but nothing is happening...it is getting worse and worse now, when they even accept beating up of a government-official.....

Reactions: SantiagoDR

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
and i thought i could go to bavaro to get away from boca chica. yesterday on CNN it was said that Iran has had 57 public executions so far this year, averages to one every eight hours, we have the wrong leaders.............excuse me, i messed up, our elected officials do not lead, unless it's in how to steal and get away with it.....depending upon how sub this assistant sub was, we might have a few bodies in the back of police pick up trucks going to the morgue, one or two innocents among them............now had the sub warned politur of his arrival, bavaro would have been cleaner than Canada.

Mar 1, 2009
But Pete we're you a visual witness to this and how can certify that this was an assistant subsecretary of said agency? Punta Cana-Bavaro will clean these guys out as soon as a threat to the tourism sector is detected.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
But Pete we're you a visual witness to this and how can certify that this was an assistant subsecretary of said agency? Punta Cana-Bavaro will clean these guys out as soon as a threat to the tourism sector is detected.

No, was not a visual witness but buddy was. At this moment they are "cleaning up" the beach and there are a lot of meetings between Marina de Guerra, Politur and owners of water sport centers. Problem is that this is not "Santo Domingo territory"..... it goes too far to explain exactly what is going on but the main issue is corruption, almost in an incurable status and at the highest level.

Reactions: waytogo
Mar 1, 2009
Ok, I have to get my butt to Punta Cana. It sounds like a fascinating place. I'm ashamed to say that even though I am Dominican, I have never been that far east.

Reactions: mike l

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Lando, it is not that fascinating but you have to see it for yourself of course. And don't get me wrong; there are no "wild west" scenes going on! Most (bad) things that happen are being hide for the tourists. But anyway you are more than welcome to visit! :cheeky:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Veracity vs misinformation

You have to think about the veracity of the information. It is at best misinformation.

Politur was created in 1975 and is housed in the building in the Sectretary of State of Tourism to work in coordination with the Ministry of Tourism.

The local sub-secretary of tourism of the Punta Cana tourist zone has an entourage of Politur assistants.

If it was an assistant sub-secretary of Tourism that was assaulted it is highly doubtful the Politur officials would stand by and do nothing.

PJT suspects the incident was one of territorial game rights and the players have not been identified. However, should it have happened in front of Politur they should have intervened.

Regards,
PJT