I am surprised that nobody has seen this oneq

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i used to love to stay at my mother in laws small finca in a little village, steep mountains, great streams, but then they got electricity, and the music, although a good quarter mile away.....i can't sleep to BOOM BOOM......BOOM..ba BOOM..........won't go there on the weekend... halfway between Santiago and Puerta Plate is Altamira, turn right at the bottom of the cliff, then a left......

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
Great Article!

Thanks for posting a link to the article. I stayed a weekend on the beach that the author describes back in January 1998. I too loved the scenary. I hadn't been back to the area until just recently. The author mentions eating the best goat ever at Parada Kiara for 280 pesos. I ate what I would also describe as the best stewed goat ever at another parada on the same stretch of road, except far cheaper. For 390 pesos (total), I had the goat with rice and beans; my wife had the goat tripe (mondongo de chivo); a bottle of water and an orange juice (plus they charged my cell phone and were happy to package my wife's leftovers). We ate at lunch time, so everything was as fresh as can be. The service was great (food was on the table in less than five minutes!) The name of this parada is El Oasis de Viajero and its in Hato del Medio (Montecristi). (BTW, no loud music, if that's an issue, like it was for the author of the article)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Great story. It seems the NYT does a travel story on the DR about every 2-3 months or so, and often about the North Coast. Not being sarcastic, you'd think it would be a huge boost to tourism...but I've never met a tourist who mentioned a NYT article having anything to do with their decision to come to the DR.

That being said, I certainly hope they keep sending their travel writes here!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hato al Medio and the Oasis del Viajero is "world famous" among "our" world....We have guys playing golf of a Saturday morning and then running up the highway to Hato al Medio for chivo....no doubt.

I thought that the writer might mention Punta Rucia, and I recognized Montecristi...

The guy was lucky that the wind was not up because it whips the sand around the North Face of the Morro and makes it VERY uncomfortable...which is why it is not that popular a place...otherwise the rich and famous would already have houses there...

HB