Got Cheese?

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Trying to find some good info on dr cheeses!
I am a cheese and bread person and I have no idea what I will find when I get there.
Any suggestions?
Manu

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bring Your Favorites With You!

Dominicans can't make any good cheese!
You can buy good Italian,French,and other good European cheeses here at t
h
e b
ig supermarkets

Dominicans can't make any good cheese here.Which explains why they fry cheese before eating it!
You can get good European cheeses at the big supermarkets.It is expensive,but available.
Cris Colon

Dominicans can't make any good cheese. It all tastes like eating plastic!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
They have great imported cheese though; different kinds of swiss, guada, cheddar, etc. My favorite is the swiss by Ledderer (sounds like, isn't actually the right name) but gets it for you in the cheese department.

Dominican queso blanco isn't bad if you eat it the same day or next day as purchased.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
We will be in Sosua.
I do know the selection at Playero,I thought there may be other cheeses and I just have to find them lol
Thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominican bread is about 100 times worse than dominican cheese :)
but you will be in sosua where germans have blessed us with the presence of their panaderias (bakeries). their breads are fantastic!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
They put sugar in Dominican bread., ugh but you cab find decent bread in the supermarkets. The only Dominican bread that actually tastes like breadcI've found is "pan agua".

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Playero sells fresh bread from several different bakeries...but you're better off going to the "German Bakery" Mosers. Ask about anyone where it is, not too hard to find. Directly across from Playero is a bakery that sells as decent a doninican bread as you'll find...in different varieties. It's not great, but about half the price of Playero. If you head to Cabarete, you have Dick's, also a place in the Callejon that makes excellent French Baguettes, and K's for great cakes, brownies and other baked goods

There are a few Dominican Cheeses I like..one is "queso de Hoja" (or queso en hoja) it's similar to Mozzarella and best when bought fresh from a vendor...there's a guy at the top of the stairs that lead from the highway to the beach that sells it fresh every Sunday..maybe other days as well. It's 100 pesos for a whole ball, 50 for half, 25 a quarter. Should be about 100 pesos a pound in the supermarkets.

A company called Zarina makes a decent Mozzarella, the owner is Italian. They sell it at most supermarkets.

There's a cheese called "Picantino"...kind of a cross between Feta and Parmesan or Pecorino. I've only seen it grated at Playero, but they have it in chunks at La Sirena in POP...

And as mentioned by several others, you can get many imported cheeses at reasonable prices...Playero has a decent selection, City Market is even better. CM has decent looking bread and bagels as well, haven't tried it, but it looks good..I think it may come from the Bologna Cafe..I heard from a friend that their bagels were excellent.