Casa de Campo need Advice plz asap

nyceguy39

Jan 7, 2006
I have asked by a high school friend, who will be staying at Casa de Campo for a week beginning this Saturday1/22/10and she has asked me if I could recommend any nice restaurants, or must see attractions in the area that might not be suggested by the tour operators at Casa de Campo. She will be traveling with her family which includes a few kids in their late teens and early 20s. They are an athletic bunch, and most likely have a healthy budget. I have lived on the North Coast for a few years now, but very rarely get down to the Southern part of the country and would appreciate some help from some of you that live, and or vacation, in that area. Thanks in advance

Reactions: waytogo

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. The islands of Saona and Catalina. Catalina can be reached from La Romana and Saona from Bayahibe. The former is a short boat ride and is more about snorkelling. Beautiful white beach and a national marine park so lovely fish. Saona is more about the journey - there by speed boat and back by catamaran or vice versa. Again lovely beach. Both are full day. all inclusive excursions.

2. Las cuevas de la marivillas - caves on the road from la Romana to San Pedro. Very well exhibited caves - tour takes around an hour.

3. They might catch one of the baseball games between La Romana team and that of San pedro de Macoris for the final. That would be a night to remember lol.

4. Altos de Chavon. Imitation mediaeval village jsut outside Casa de Campo which looks like it has some nice restaurants, although I have never tried them

Am sure other people may have more suggestions

Matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Make sure they go to "DOM HAM", its a burger joint with a thatched roof over near the Clinica Dr. Canela. All Romana knows where it is. It is THE place to munch on good food.

Ask for Carlito, and then ask him, what's happening....if it is happening, he will know about it...Guy's a demi-god in Romana...

Just tell him Hillbilly sent you..

HB

pweidlich

Dec 13, 2010
Spend a day at Baya Hibe, a village on the beach with a few good restaurants that serve dominican sea food. Also get info on Parque del Este which opens to Baya Hibe. If they are athletic and like to hike I have heard that they offer tours, also some caves (not Las Maravillas). Don't forget the repellant.

Reactions: waytogo

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I would suggest that they book one of the longer horseback rides, not the 1 hour ride. These are a great way to see the countryside from a unique perspective. It is lovely to ride through the cane fields especially. Not sure where they go on the longer routes now. Back when I was riding there one of my favorite rides was on the beach where the marina developement now stands. Ask if they still have the ride that you can have a picnic lunch at the river. The horses are quarter horses and imo the best rental horses on the island. Granted each place has a few really good horses that you can ride if you have experience but the CdeC herd has the best overall quality level.
They also give riding lessions and there used to be a donkey polo game that you could play in one day a week. The regular polo games are fun to watch and photograph as well.

AvidTraveler

Mar 24, 2011
La Romana, and neighbring Bayahibe and Dominicus, boast in having attractive attractions for all level strenghts. For the most-energetic and adventerous there is Wild Ranch, where one can climb great height and go through all sorts of obstacle courses. Cueva de las Maravillas offers visitors the opportunity to revisit the island's past, witnessing firsthand amazing cave art left by the Taino Indians and the witnessing of mythological tales coming to life. The Padre Nuestro (Our Father) eco-touristic trail allows guests a close encounter with the area's singular wildlife, as well as a deeper penetration with nature. I welcome you to visit www.explorelaromana.com, which for me was an invaluable resource prior to traveling to this gorgeous destination, and an unparalleled aid when it came to drawing up my travel plans and not missing out on great cultural places to visit, without leaving out the adventerous side.

vandee

Nov 26, 2003
My favorite restaurant is pepperoni in Casa. Limoncello has good pizza and snacks eats. Both are at the Marina. La Casitsa is also a nice place.

In La Romana, the french bakery is great for deserts and breads in the morning. Everyone knows where it is so just ask. There is also a La Casita restaurant in La Romana and that one is excellent.