Research on Heavy Metal poising re:DR, need contacts/sources

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Buenas,

I am currently involved in a research project proposal involving heavy metals and contamination in the Dominican Republic. Currently my group and I are trying to focus on ailments resulting from heavy metal poisoning.

As you can see from the link below, according to a 2009 WHO study, the Dominican Republic has a high rate of cases of prostate cancer and a not so great rate of Alzheimer/Dementia. Though we are at the initial stages of this project, we are focusing on cadmium and aluminum poisoning and we would later be looking at the effects these metals have on said diseases. Our initial reasons for focusing on one of these metals is below.

To be able to get this project off the ground I would like to find someone who has experience working with poisoning by these metals in the DR or someone who has published or knows of articles, specifically DR. The issue is that little research and publication has been done in this country regarding heavy metals that it is proving somewhat difficult and we are not in a position to focus on original research at this time.

If you know anyone (or are someone) who is qualified* to serve as a quick adviser, if only to point us in the right direction, we would be much obliged.

If interested on why cadmium or aluminum:

Cadmium is highly suspected currently of contributing to prostate cancer, especially in individuals of African descent, while aluminum has it's own baggage regarding Alzheimer and lead-retention/absorption rates.

I find aluminum very interesting and DR-centric considering that just about everywhere you go, food or coffee is being cooked in utensils crafted of aluminum.

I'll stop right there before I turn this into our actual project but I figured there are plenty of NGO's/ health missions in the DR and some of them turn up in DR1 every now and then, so taking a shot in the dark! Thanks for reading.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It is very difficult to accept that this assessment is being carried out using empiric analysis,
If I may say so, I think that you are a group of self driven individuals looking for an easy way to your Phd using preconceived ideology.
Just by the use of your terminology, it is evident that you are looking for positive example to assist your hypothesis, and not an equated an measured study that could indeed counter your foregone conclusions.
There is no conceivable benefit that could accrue to anyone here from this bogus "study", so just go away and leave us alone.
Thanks.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008

Edit: Thanks Bob. As I said we're not in a position to do anything but mine research
online yet since the project doesn't entail it yet. Every bit helps. Don't bother reading the rest of this post... Haha.

It is very difficult to accept that this assessment is being carried out using empiric analysis,
If I may say so, I think that you are a group of self driven individuals looking for an easy way to your Phd using preconceived ideology.
Just by the use of your terminology, it is evident that you are looking for positive example to assist your hypothesis, and not an equated an measured study that could indeed counter your foregone conclusions.
There is no conceivable benefit that could accrue to anyone here from this bogus "study", so just go away and leave us alone.
Thanks.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
My!
I had completely forgotten this. The power of Rum is boundless!
As you have said:

You are a group of medical students trying, obviously, to improve the lives of the impoverished and uneducated masses here in the Dominican Republic and I can only commend you for your altruism and fortitude!

I prefer that this debate should be kept at an open debate level and that your comments to me should be shared amongst our other readers, some who actually make their life here in the DR, thus I publish it here.

The medical consensus that insomnia is linked to alcohol abuse is widely postulated but,to my knowledge has not yet been proved, so I would think your taunting could be more subtle.

If your goals in this study could be more accurately defined, e.g. why DR and not e.g. Philadelphia or Mumbai etc.? then you may find more eagerness to assist you, but in the 'Third World', as you would wish to portray us, many of your sort come and go.

I'm sure that all our residents wish you well in your quest, fine Knights.
I quite enjoy personal attacks on my intellect and propriety, but please make then 'cleverer'.

I confess to not having any input whatsoever in your esoteric studies, but I do recognize the motive behind them.

(You may quote this as positive proof of my stupidity. That's OK by me.)

Default Re: Huge Jerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
Thanks.

Your PM to me:
Wow, what a crass response. Unbelievably rude and unwarranted. Considering it was posted at 3:34AM I can only infer that someone has been hidding the sauce a little too hard as of late.

Let me assure you that you don't know me, what I am after and especially don't know my group. Funny how you attack me for foregone conclusions and yet... there's your whole post.

How does the saying go? Let he who has done no wrong cast the first stone?

No, that's not the one, I want this one, "You hypocrite! First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother?s eye." I'm not an overly religious man but even I know that one.

I love debate but really nothing about you warrants any more of a response than this.

P.s. It's not a PhD, we are a group of medical students doing this for a project.

P.p.s If I may say so, cut back on the rum. You are obviously venomous enough already, don't you have a dog to go kick? Anyways, I've made enough assumptions. No one forced you to read my post.
Forward Message

Have you considered that maybe Haiti may need your medical skills more than we do?
They do have a few problems there, and some of them may well be linked to contaminants and others to do with with epidemic scourges worthy of study.
Our problems here in DR are mainly to do with making ends meet.

I remain, Sir or Madam, your obedient servant.
R

PS. I don't drink Rum.
(Very often).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks.

Not sure why you think this has anything to do with you, or whom ever you refer to as us. The OP asked for information, you don't have any, all you have is an opinion, which doesn't appear to be relevant on the subject at hand. There is nothing wrong with using someone else's research as long as you give credit.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Of course you are correct,
but in my wandering around 'underdeveloped' parts of the world I have seen how this sort of thing tends to detract from the problems which could be helped.

I have met and transported so many researchers , advisors and general do-gooders who have no interest or knowledge about the people or the country they are in whilst 'studying' on someone else's paycheck and giving unwarranted or ill-judged statements that I have become cynical and grumpy about them.

It's a bit like worrying if washing powder perfume causes sneezing whilst studying in the Kalahari Desert, or reports I've seen decrying the fact that some children are not learning computer skills in the poorest parts of Africa where they have no food or water, let alone electricity to run them. etc etc.

(Think I'll change my avatar to 'GrumpyOlMan'.)