Old thread

rwing93

Jan 14, 2011
I remember reading about two and a half years ago somewhere here in the DR1 forums about a Walmart type store that was being built I think in Puerta Plata. There were pictures along with reports on progress. I can't find the treads now. What was the name of this place? Did they ever finish the store? Where exactly is it located?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
This is an interesting question, to which I have very little input.

I'm just considering, - a company which pays it's staff less than subsistence pay, whose goods are shoddy and made badly in China, sold for triple the cost price with no guarantee,
Could that exist??

I think Walmart is philanthropic in comparison.

Sorry I cant help on your question tho'.

Reactions: Africaida

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is located on the malecon in POP and it is called la sirena. not exactly a wallmart but it is the biggets shop in the city and one of the biggest if not the biggest chain shop in DR.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
it is located on the malecon in POP and it is called la sirena. not exactly a wallmart but it is the biggets shop in the city and one of the biggest if not the biggest chain shop in DR.

And they also qualify for the cheap junk with no warranty. Don't know about salaries though.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the salaries are crap - minimum. but it is better to have a crappy job than have no job at all. i read the other day that the unemployment rate in POP is 38%...
goods are of ok quality and the prices are decent. but yes, the guarantee is a joke :)

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

Maybe you want to say the biggest chain CHOPOS
La sirena is in the botton of the list of supermarkets in DR, and is well known as a place for chopos. bad products quality, and the worst customer services in DR. Sorry Grupo Ramos.
the closest place to a Walmart in DR is Jumbo Luperon.
for a good quality supermarket
Supermarcado Bravo, Los Caciscagos
Supermercado Nacional, Arroyo Hondo y Santiago
Pricemart Arroyo hondo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
biggest chain it is, dear man because i cannot see national having as many shops in DR. can you?
and national is for a**holes, imho.
normal folks shop in jose luis :)