Number of ex-pats living in the DR

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Does anyone have information on the number of ex-pats in the DR? Not sure where this info would come from, but I'm asking the question. Also, if numbers are available, a breakdown by location would be useful.

Even educated guesses would be acceptable.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Wait for the 2010 census computations to be ready, they are still working on that.

JJ

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wait for the 2010 census computations to be ready, they are still working on that.

JJ

But don't take those numbers, when published, as being more than rough estimates. Census taking here is not an exact science.

I have seen figures as to the number of legal residents, but that does not include all expats since not all apply for residency.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
All Brits living here are asked to register with the Embassy, I don't know if the other Embassies do the same thing. They don't ask if you are R.D. registered, just if you live here. But would they release those figures?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But don't take those numbers, when published, as being more than rough estimates. Census taking here is not an exact science.

I have seen figures as to the number of legal residents, but that does not include all expats since not all apply for residency.
^^^this^^^

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
census

No one has any even wildly accurate idea. Census was a joke. The DR is still using paper and pencils. When I went to get my residency they were using manila folders and I looked over their shoulder and there were overhead piles of folders in the back office, some of which had tipped over and were on the floor.
If this country ever gets computerized it will be the ruination. I like it like it is!!!
Well, maybe a few small changes.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Two years ago at a "town hall" meeting with the US ambassador he said there were just over 100,000 US Citizens calling the DR home. Where that number came from ??????

Census...I don't exist they didnot count me.

Bob K

Mar 1, 2009
Usually in the USA when they do oficial estimates of illegal immigrants, they will cite X as a number, but then unoficial estimators suggest to actually double that number and that's pretty much the real amount. So if someone said, their is 1 million expats in DR (Not counting Haitian migrants) I'd say easy two million. I have been driving around and their are just too many Spaniards, Colombianos, Brasilenos, Peruanos and others that I never thought would be living in DR and they do!

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Two years ago at a "town hall" meeting with the US ambassador he said there were just over 100,000 US Citizens calling the DR home. Where that number came from ??????

Census...I don't exist they didnot count me.

Bob K

I would guess that the vast majority of the US Citizens in the DR were born in DR and were naturalized at some point.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Thanks for all the replies. As usual, I am entertained as well as informed.

One more question:

Would most DR1ers confirm that the greatest number of ex-pats likely tend to group in the Santo Domingo area?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Tend to group in the tourist areas but Santo Domingo is so much bigger that it probably has more overall.

Perhaps AZB could fill you in on the differences?

I'm feeling really helpful today. ;)

Last edited: