Places to stay in La Vega

travellinfoo

Jan 20, 2011
Hi there, getting ready for my first trip to the DR in late February. Looking for recommendations for a hotel in La Vega/ I'm a backpacker, so not looking for fancy, basic would be fine. Hoping to catch some Independence Day celebrations and hopefully some of Carnival as well. Any website addresses or phone #'s would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. JB

travellinfoo

Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for the links, the Lonely Planet mentioned that there was just one hotel. Do people stay in nearby towns when Carnival happens? I won't be renting a car, so is Hotel Rey the only choice? Thanks for the quick response, this looks like a really good website for travelers. JB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I know there is only one and its name is Hotel Rey. But it is not worth for the rate they charge.
That place have been there for ever!!! I used to go there for lunch when working in La Vega (comedor Rey), this is a place where most of the salesman who come from SD stay over night as it is safe, clean and well located in the center of the downtown.

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Or you could stay at one of the many places in Santiago (Colonial (809 247 3122 ask for Victor or L?zaro) and hop a bus to La Vega at almost any time...Expreso Veganos....it's like 25 minutes down the highway...

HB

travellinfoo

Jan 20, 2011
Thanks Bob and everyone. With it being a smaller place I was worried about it filling up around Independence Day. Thanks for all of your suggestions. JB