Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default quickest method thru customs

I hear it can take 2 hours to go thru customs. I am arriving from the U.S. Wed late morning. I heard there is a new pre paid travel visa. Not sure where this can be purchased in the states. Are we allowed to tip an employee that can point us to a quicker path? Not sure if we can just do carry on. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

What airport? You just need to purchase a $10 tourist card. You will see that before you get online to get your passport stamped. I have never heard of it taking 2 hours to get through customs.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Untrue

Customs is a breeze in the DR. Its 5 minutes or less. Just make sure you fill out the forms they give you on the plane before you go thru customs. Bring a pen.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmarc View Post
    I hear it can take 2 hours to go thru customs. I am arriving from the U.S. Wed late morning. I heard there is a new pre paid travel visa. Not sure where this can be purchased in the states. Are we allowed to tip an employee that can point us to a quicker path? Not sure if we can just do carry on. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    John
    John,
    The only time-consumers in the exit process at SDQ, are:
    1. Standing in line to buy your tourist card, and
    2. Waiting for your luggage to come out on the carousel.

I've never done the first, but the second has taken me up to one hour on occasion...so the real answers are:

1. Buy your tourist card in advance of your trip at the nearest Dominican consular office and
    2. Don't bring checked luggage
    Otherwise, it's just a question of luck.
    Good Luck!!
    Bryan

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmarc View Post
    John
    You heard wrong! Have you seen the seize of the DR airports? Only if the airline lose your suitcases you can wait 2 hours.

Not even the worst airport I've ever gone through (Miami) I've not waited 2 hours going through customs.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I never been in the airport any longer than 45-60mins. Usually I'm out of there within 30-45 mins at SDQ, thats with checked luggage and a couple of flights landing.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You heard VERY wrong!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Miami entering US last time--- 55 minutes !

POP coming in to DR -----------10 minutes

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrival Time matters

Immigration and Customs is very good and efficient. However if your plane land just after 5 or 6 other aircraft it will take a while. 2 - 3:30 PM is not a good time to land because there are so many other aircraft arriving at the same time. On one occassion I basically bought my Toruist Card and walked through Immigration and Customs. It was 3 AM and there were only 4 people on the plane. I was the only Tourist. The other three were residents. Immigration was laughing so hard they could hardly work.

SDQ is a great airport. Go to flightstats.com and determine when to fly or at least get an idea of what it is going to be like. Also check the aircraft type. If the other two plans on the ground are 747`s it will take a while.

DS

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree I have been through there dozens of times and never had it take more than 10 minutes tops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast