Learning Spanish in the DR

DottyB

Jan 15, 2011
I know a little Spanish. I took two college courses and listen to Spanish CDs (Pimsleurs) driving to and from work. Does anyone have advice on learning Spanish in the DR?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
The more you immerse yourself in the culture the faster you will learn the language. Stay away from expats. When you have to communicate you figure it out faster. If you are single get a boyfriend who speaks no English.....LOL ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Used "Total Immersion"

You must teach both the left,and right brain!
You must read,speak,hear,and write in Spanish.Listen to native speakers,in person,on radio,movies,andTV.Listen to local music.
Read spanish
newspapers and book/magazines.
Converse.
And write letters,faxes,and "lessons",as you should take a Spanish course at a local univ.
Most important,Speak,Speak,Speak,and never be afraid,or embarrassed,to sound like an idiot! Dominicans don't mind if you speak poor spanish,(They ,afterall,don't speak "Proper Spanish)but they love it when you TRY!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
PS.Learn to speak like a well educated Dominican! No "Ghetto"ease. You may think it's "COOL",but it labels you as a person who hangs out in Colmados,carwashes,and whore houses. (WoW, Do I Sound Like "AZB"!)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
You must teach both the left,and right brain!
You must read,speak,hear,and write in Spanish.Listen to native speakers,in person,on radio,movies,andTV.Listen to local music.
Read spanish
newspapers and book/magazines.
Converse.
And write letters,faxes,and "lessons",as you should take a Spanish course at a local univ.
Most important,Speak,Speak,Speak,and never be afraid,or embarrassed,to sound like an idiot! Dominicans don't mind if you speak poor spanish,(They ,afterall,don't speak "Proper Spanish)but they love it when you TRY!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
PS.Learn to speak like a well educated Dominican! No "Ghetto"ease. You may think it's "COOL",but it labels you as a person who hangs out in Colmados,carwashes,and whore houses. (WoW, Do I Sound Like "AZB"!)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

As Mr CC says, live it, do it, learn it, speak it, study it, experience it; it takes time........ It ain't going to happen overnight. The eventual rewards are certainly worth it. Little by little, it can be learned. Been doing it myself for several years now........took Spanish language courses, home study courses, hang around Dominicans that do not speak English, watch Spanish TV programs, listen to Spanish music, read Spanish books, got to live it to learn it!!.......takes time but can be done............