Child Custody

Ungaro

Jan 19, 2011
I am a U.S. citizen and I might be the father of child whose mother is a Dominican citizen that I have had a relationship with for one year.

I believe that it is in my best interest not to continue my relationship with this person.

I want to have a DNA test performed after the child is born and if the child is mine I want to have custody of the child. Please understand that I want the mother to be a part of this child?s life, but I know that the arrangement I want will be to the child?s best interest.

If the child?s mother is agreeable to this I will have a document drawn that will award me custody. I will also assume financial responsibility for the child.

Questions:
1. Will the Dominican government allow this to happen?
2. If prior to her signing this agreement and DNA testing is performed is it possible she could have papers served on me to have DNA testing done? If so, what are the potential legal consequences? Why this question? Unfortunately, I have learned not to trust her. I want to anticipate a problem before it occurs.

I understand that I will need to apply for a visa granting me the right to stay in the country. My intention would be to stay in the DR and raise our child.

Thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You sure do not know much do you!??

IF the DNA shows that the baby is yours, it is, by law a US citizen and entitled to a US passport and Social Security number!!!

All you have to do is get the paperwork in order: Birth Certificate, official and certified, the DNA results, your passport and proof that you have lived inthe US for 5 years since your 14th birthday. This permits you to pass on citizenship to your offspring.

You also need a lawyer to take the case to Dominican courts so that you are awarded custody. Since the birth mother is Dominican, this might get tricky...which is why you need the lawyer.

Next time, use condoms, they are your friend...(or the Pill)

I do not understand why you would need a visa "to stay in the country"??? Don't you live and work in the US??? Of course, if you intend to live here, you would need a residence visa, and that takes a couple of years to get all tidied up...6 months for Temp Residence visa then up to 18 months for permanent residence visa...again, a lawyer would be your way to go....

Another babe in the woods...

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
But there is an issue I dont think he clarified. I dont think his name is on the birth certificate. I understand this to be a child that came from some woman he used to be with about a year ago. I know the DNA test from a reputable lab will be enough to prove familial connection to the ICE department but I don't know how they would consider it without his name on the birth certificate. He has proved he fathered a child but whose child? He should go to the ICE website and ask them.

Oops, my fault I re-read, the child isn't born yet. Well, I don't know. He has to be in the country to record his name on the birth certificate. And if he does, unsure of whether it is his child, he will be on the hook for domestic child support. Not saying he shouldn't if the child is his, but he d be arguing from a point of weakness because he doesn't live in the country nor have representation. Guzman has a thread on declaraciones and birth certificates.

Now with respect to negotiating terms of custody with the mother. He is screwed. "If you want the child then take me there too. If I can't go there then you can't see the child." A thousand combinations where you are compromised.

Jullien

Dec 11, 2010
A very interesting view on this you have, really.
Custody of children can be referred by parents, grandparents, step parents, or anyone who thinks they can provide care and counselling to children.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think some have been a little harsh with you here, why should you know, if this is your first port of call then this is your first input.
I can give you some first hand advice.
If you really are unsure of the child then get your DNA done private. If the child is yours then be prepared for lots of heartbreak, as if you really want to be with the child then moving life here for the child in theory is perfect, but few of us manage it without growing a few grey hairs, adding a serious amount of wrinkles and getting slightly ****ed off with life in general, at times.
As for custody, this is unlikely to happen. It has taken me 3 years to get my lass to allow me to take my daughter to the UK, no legal probs, just trust, she thinks I will not come back with her.
This is a Dominican style trusting relationship!
Custody is not really an option for several more years according to my lawyer as until the child is 8 year old and deemed old enough by the courts to know what she likes, wants and what is best for her, so she will remain with her mother.
As of 8 year old the courts will hear her wish and after this then custody actually turns and is usually awarded if all is well with the applying parent (according to our local lawyer friend), time.
Do as so many of us do, bide it, try to make the most of it and if need be in time make your move legally. Otherwise you are just dreaming of the perfect life, throwing money in the pit.
I also had the impression that as I had a bit more money then I might be awarded custody, arrogant and ignorant of me, luckily now things have worked out for us, so..............