Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Salons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hair Salons

I would like to know if anyone has any idea how hair salons are in the DR? In comparison to North America.

I am a stylist (27) years, looking to possible work a day or two a week when I move to the Caberet area later this year.

I"m fluent in English, unfortunately not Spanish, but I am more than qualified to style hair and all that is required in a salon.

any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican women pay between RD150-400 a visit at the local salon. Of course at the exclusive salons they pay a whole lot more. You would be expected to be an expert working with really curly African type hair. However, as many Dominicans are mixed often the hair is finer than one might expect and can be easily damaged. My wife found this out by going to a AA salon in the States and a lot of her hair fell out. She eventually shaved her head because of the damage.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    ....... For goodness sakes I hear more accurate gossip at the local hair saloon.
    ....... My wife found this out by going to a AA salon in the States and ........
    Local Hair Saloon
    AA Salon (Alcoholics Anonymous?)

Am I starting to see a pattern here? lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hair Salon,

that's unfortunate about your wife's hair. I was hoping to gear towards Caucasian women if I do hair in the DR. Ethnic hair is indeed a challenge, but not impossible to work with.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

there is a German hair salon sosua she has international clients maybe she needs help
    sosua mulata hotel las canas i think

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican women pay between RD150-400 a visit at the local salon. Of course at the exclusive salons they pay a whole lot more. You would be expected to be an expert working with really curly African type hair. However, as many Dominicans are mixed often the hair is finer than one might expect and can be easily damaged. My wife found this out by going to a AA salon in the States and a lot of her hair fell out. She eventually shaved her head because of the damage.
    Nonsense. What happened was that your wife had relaxing chemicals in her hair from previous treatments that didnt mesh with the relaxing chemicals she had put in her hair at the Black salon and her hair fell out. All the hair is the same but you start combining toxins and there will be no other result except for hair loss.

Susie, if you cant do Black hair then you're dead in the water for usefulness as a hair stylist in the DR. The most popular service is the shampoo and hair relaxing.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Nonsense. What happened was that your wife had relaxing chemicals in her hair from previous treatments that didnt mesh with the relaxing chemicals she had put in her hair at the Black salon and her hair fell out. All the hair is the same but you start combining toxins and there will be no other result except for hair loss.
    Or simply, she ran into a bad stylist It is not that AA stylists have less skills or less experienced with finer hair (there are some AA that are mixed with finer hair Chip), it is also that they don't make your hair as straight as Dominican stylists. Dominicans are much cheaper for shampoo and hair relaxing than AA.
    However, I think AA cut much better than Dominican IMO (if you want something more complicated than layers).

Susie, if you cant do Black hair then you're dead in the water for usefulness as a hair stylist in the DR. The most popular service is the shampoo and hair relaxing.
    Unless she targets the expat community.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of expats in Cabarete. We need to get our hair done too!

After many years here, I only found one salon capable of doing my hair (I'm Hispanic so it's not particularly thin hair). That's Anna's Salon in Cabarete. She's from Serbia. She works alone but who knows she could be interested in help a couple of times a week. As far as I know, she works only with Expats.

I don't know if the salon at Ocean Dream is still there. Very nice salon, only that when I visited (a couple of years back once and for sure my last visit), the Dominican stylists there had no clue how to cut my hair. I took over a year to recover of a very, very bad hair cut. Ocean Dreams and that area of Cabarete have many tourists. You may want to pay them a visit when you arrive.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    Or simply, she ran into a bad stylist It is not that AA stylists have less skills or less experienced with finer hair (there are some AA that are mixed with finer hair Chip), it is also that they don't make your hair as straight as Dominican stylists. Dominicans are much cheaper for shampoo and hair relaxing than AA.
    However, I think AA cut much better than Dominican IMO (if you want something more complicated than layers).

Unless she targets the expat community.
    I don't know....can she support herself working a day or 2 doing foreigner hair? I mean, I m a dude all I need is either a good set of clippers or as usual a quality BIC blade(I only use BIC) and some shaving cream and I can manage myself.
    And can she compete on price.

I think I ll stick with my first interpretation of Chip's wife dilemma. I think she put that Snail slime in her hair and then when she was in the US they put the Jheri Curl juice in there too and them 2 ingredients mixified and her head became a Bio-hazard.

I personally think Dominican women spend too much time in the salon and are too concerned with physical appearance.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know....can she support herself working a day or 2 doing foreigner hair? I mean, I m a dude all I need is either a good set of clippers or as usual a quality BIC blade(I only use BIC) and some shaving cream and I can manage myself.
    And can she compete on price.

I think I ll stick with my first interpretation of Chip's wife dilemma. I think she put that Snail slime in her hair and then when she was in the US they put the Jheri Curl juice in there too and them 2 ingredients mixified and her head became a Bio-hazard.

I personally think Dominican women spend too much time in the salon and are too concerned with physical appearance.
    Hahaha. It does seem like many Dominicanas live at the salon, even the little girls. My wife, however only goes to the salon if she's been too busy to do her own hair, and doesn't have the time. She is fortunate that her hair is reasonably easy to work. Nothing wrong with wanting to look your best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast