First trip - New Cedula

Lifeisgood

Jan 3, 2011
Hey there. I've read alot on this forum, but still little unclear on a few things....

I'm thinking about taking a trip to the Dominican Republic soon. While I am down there, I want to get started on the citizenship process - just in case I want to get a Dominican passport in the future.

I've read alot about renewing your cedula, but not much on getting one for the first time. From what I understand....

1) I should bring a copy of my police report from my city in the USA?
2) I need to do a medical exam
3) US Passport. And birth certificate??
4) Take some pictures
5) Application
6) I need a permanent resident to sponsor me (guarantor to sign letter saying I am a good person?)

And all the fees cost under $200 USD? (I can't find the link that someone listed prices)

Do I need any copies of bank statements with a certain amount of money? I think I read that once, but never heard about it again?

If anyone has a recent experience with getting your cedula/residency for the first time, please let me know how it went. (I need to go to Santo Domingo Migracion?)

I'm thinking about flying to Dominican, get started on the cedula process, check out some beaches, brush up on my Spanish, maybe go over to Haiti and do some volunteer work. Maybe a 2-3 week trip or so. Then come back in a few months.

I was hoping I could meet up with some expats and maybe find someone to let me use their address and could let me know when the paperwork is done (I heard it can take about 3 months after I first submit the application? Can I pay a little more and get that done sooner?)

Thanks!!

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Welcome Lifeisgood

To start off, I'll say probably what you already know, is do some searches on this forum for residency as it is heavily covered. Having said that, here are a few brief points to consider.
1. You have to have your Dominican Residency for five (5) years before you apply for your citizenship (I think these numbers are correct). Your citizenship process also takes some time as it is by Presidential decree and not done monthly, etc.
2. Your residency comes in two parts, first, a provisional residency for one (1) year, then if no problems, apply for permanent. You can get your cedula after you have your provisional residency.
3. If you want to do it yourself, plan on spending some time doing it and some frustration as it entails bureaucracy. It will cost less in fees, but you must calculate your cost of living and travel expenses as you go through the process. On a positive note, this would be an excellent way to start an immersion-style method of learning dominican spanish.
4. Most people use lawyers which may well be cheaper in the long run and will take care of almost all of your specific concerns regarding the process.

Good luck and welcome to the Dominican Republic!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I am a little confused. The title of thhis thread is "First trip - New Cedula". Don't you need to be a resident before you can apply for a cedula?