I love this country

Dec 26, 2010
Hello all, new user here!

Just came back from my second trip to DR and it has started me thinking about purchasing property in the future. I've been reading several threads on this site and I have come up with a general question. Generally are the Dominican people open to having foreigners move to the DR? I know it's a very general question but I don't want to consider a move somewhere where the locals aren't welcoming. I am a 37 year old Canadian from just outside of Toronto and I live in a community filled with people from all sorts of countries. I (as most Canadians) are very welcoming to people from other cultures that choose to make Canada their home, I'm just wondering if most Dominicans feel the same way.

Great resource this forum, I'll be visiting often!

Reactions: Mooseman

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Just came back from my second trip to DR and it has started me thinking about purchasing property in the future. I've been reading several threads on this site and I have come up with a general question. Generally are the Dominican people open to having foreigners move to the DR? I know it's a very general question but I don't want to consider a move somewhere where the locals aren't welcoming. I am a 37 year old Canadian from just outside of Toronto and I live in a community filled with people from all sorts of countries. I (as most Canadians) are very welcoming to people from other cultures that choose to make Canada their home, I'm just wondering if most Dominicans feel the same way.

interesting question

welcoming yes.. in that you will be greated with smiles as they are generally friendly people

but this is not a hub of multiculuralism.. this is small island nation with people whose lives center around their extended family web

you will see this reflected, for instance, on the lack of great foreign restuarants in SD.. by the fact that ex pats tend to cluster.. French in LT, ... Canadians in Caberete..

Life here centers on the family so if you are not RELATED to a Dominican.. then it may be hard to get really "welcomed"

In addition, around some of the tourist towns, foreigners are seen as a "Mark" to be scammed

It is hard for some of us cosmopolites to adapt...

so just remember that it is small Island nation.. and learn Spanish,, and gradually you will adapt

There are lots of us who have been here for years..

I think it takes about 5 years to really settle in

at least it did for me

Reactions: woofsback

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In the tourist areas foreigners are generally seen as business "objects" which has good and bad ramifications. However, those that learn the language and the customs sufficiently well can be accepted by most locals, much like you see in your own country.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
There is much to be gained and little to be lost buying a property in the DR.
Many people wish they had done so earlier.
Prime property prices are fairly sure to rise on a 10 year timescale.
Also you can live cheaply.
S.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Mountainannie is on the ball as she is most of the time. You must first make the decision whether you mostly want to mix with other ex-pats or Dominicans, I can't speak for the former but in the case of the latter:- get a Dominican girlfriend (or boyfriend). Do NOT buy into a gated or other ex-pat housing estate. Ask around and find a piece of land to build on. Use a Dominican as MasterBuilder. OK for the more complicated things like electricity use an ex-pat. Get to know your future neighbours, you might not take their advice but they'll appreciate giving it to you. Put in a well and plant banana and platanos trees, so you can from time to time give their fruits away. Don't flash your money about but remember that if you live in the more rural parts your neighbours would happily give you part of their lunch if they see you haven't got any, do likewise occasionally. Get to learn that whatever you ask a Dominican if he can do the answer will always be yes regardless of whether he actually does know, so chose your placement of labour carefully. Never tell a Dominican how to do something, the best is " well this is how I think I would do it, what about you?" When finally your decision is made and you think I could help - feel free to ask. I've just had a good example, the chappie who maintains our pool told me how many gallons of paint it would take to repaint it, I checked mathematically and had to agree with him although he wanted to also use thinners. I told him that I agreed with his estimate but it would be better not to use thinners, he was happy at my praise and agreed not to use thinners! Sorry if I've gone on too long but I like the place and the people.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007

I am a 37 year old Canadian from just outside of Toronto...

I hear the enthusiasm in your words and the emotion expressed for the DR matches mine exactly. Your age will work in your favour as you have time to go slow and learn before you commit. I am 64, live in Hamilton, and am looking at making the DR my second home within the next 2-3 years and perhaps more permanent after that.

At my age there is less time for mistakes, and I rely on the people in whose tracks I will walk. When I first came here in 2007, I wanted to move here right away. Over three years along, I am glad that I am taking slow steps. In that time, I have discovered pitfalls that I would have fallen into three years ago, but now I know better.

DR1 is an amazing resource. Answers to many of your questions are already out there in other threads. Take the time to read through them and see what people like you did to get to where they are now, residents of the DR.

If you are on the west side of Toronto, I would be happy to have a coffee or a beer with you and discuss plans. Send me a personal message (PM) if so.

Welcome to DR1 and best of luck,
Mooseman

Dec 26, 2010
S.

I forgot to mention, my wife and I are Real Estate agents here in Canada so the current property prices in DR are very attractive. I too feel DR will continue to be a good investment.

Thanks to everyone for your input so far, lots to think about.

FYI, I will learn Spanish, another great tip.

Dec 26, 2010
I hear the enthusiasm in your words and the emotion expressed for the DR matches mine exactly. Your age will work in your favour as you have time to go slow and learn before you commit. I am 64, live in Hamilton, and am looking at making the DR my second home within the next 2-3 years and perhaps more permanent after that.

At my age there is less time for mistakes, and I rely on the people in whose tracks I will walk. When I first came here in 2007, I wanted to move here right away. Over three years along, I am glad that I am taking slow steps. In that time, I have discovered pitfalls that I would have fallen into three years ago, but now I know better.

DR1 is an amazing resource. Answers to many of your questions are already out there in other threads. Take the time to read through them and see what people like you did to get to where they are now, residents of the DR.

If you are on the west side of Toronto, I would be happy to have a coffee or a beer with you and discuss plans. Send me a personal message (PM) if so.

Welcome to DR1 and best of luck,
Mooseman

Awesome buddy! Great advice, good luck with your move! I am going to take it slow no rush......except I miss the DR already. Next time I come to Hamilton I'll PM you for a drink.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
S.

I could not disagree more, especially when we are talking about a person who has just returned from only his second trip to the country. If you don't end up living there, you are an absentee owner of an investment property, which is something many have found to be an absolute nightmare. Without the proper knowledge or guidance, you can be taken for a ride on the purchase price, and when/if you decide to sell, it often takes years, not weeks or months. It's so easy to look with 20/20 hindsight at those who have done well with property investments and say you wish you had done what they had done. It means nothing in the here and now.

Reactions: Africaida

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Some people make the DR sound like it?s some strange place in the planet Mars or a place out side of this world. The fact of the matter is that this country is just like any other foriegn country you would visit. Much like any other place, it has its ups and downs, but nothing so severe that would make you think twice before moving to the DR. IMHO, I feel this country is very welcoming to foreigners, the fact that we have many communities from different parts of the world is proof to this.

We have various nationalities proudly living in DR who?ve assimilated the culture and costomes without hardship what so ever. There?s a decent size of Chinese, Japanese, Agrentinian, Italian, Venezuelen, Middle Eastern, American, Canadean, French and Peruvian community, just to name a few. For this reason I guess you could call the DR a small caribbean melting pot.

Sure you?ll find a small number of dr1 posters that for reasons unknown, will rant to the contrary, but the fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people that choose the DR as a retirement country will find it truly welcoming. Like others have stated, I suggest you read up on the many post available to you, however, I will advise you in keeping an open mind, because many poster on this forum have a preconceived bias and a very somber outlook towards the DR, and it clearly reflects on their general writing of this place.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2010
I could not disagree more, especially when we are talking about a person who has just returned from only his second trip to the country. If you don't end up living there, you are an absentee owner of an investment property, which is something many have found to be an absolute nightmare. Without the proper knowledge or guidance, you can be taken for a ride on the purchase price, and when/if you decide to sell, it often takes years, not weeks or months. It's so easy to look with 20/20 hindsight at those who have done well with property investments and say you wish you had done what they had done. It means nothing in the here and now.

I think my posts read like I'm moving tomorrow, alas I am not. Just starting the process of looking for a place to be my second home in the future. I am planning on coming back to the DR a few times more before I decide to maybe buy something. Great points though, thank you. As a real estate person though I do believe in buying not waiting when it comes to real estate. The saying goes don't wait to buy real estate, buy real estate an wait. Sorry couldn't help myself :cheeky:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Also You Can Live CHEAPLY"????????????

Sure You CAN!
I can live CHEAPLY in NewYouk City too!
Empty refrigerator boxes ARE cheap there!
No heat,electric,or water bills if you live in a "BOX",same here!
We choose to have a nice house'cars,air conditioning,fans.hot water,good food,good schools,go out to dinner and movies,medical insurance!
"CHEAP",is "CHEAP"!
Cris ColonCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 26, 2010
Some people make the DR sound like it?s some strange place in the planet Mars or a place out side of this world. The fact of the matter is that this country is just like any other foriegn country you would visit. Much like any other place, it has its ups and downs, but nothing so severe that would make you think twice before moving to the DR. IMHO, I feel this country is very welcoming to foreigners, the fact that we have many communities from different parts of the world is proof to this.

We have various nationalities proudly living in DR who?ve assimilated the culture and costomes without hardship what so ever. There?s a decent size of Chinese, Japanese, Agrentinian, Italian, Venezuelen, Middle Eastern, American, Canadean, French and Peruvian community, just to name a few. For this reason I guess you could call the DR a small caribbean melting pot.

Sure you?ll find a small number of dr1 posters that for reasons unknown, will rant to the contrary, but the fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people that choose the DR as a retirement country will find it truly welcoming. Like others have stated, I suggest you read up on the many post available to you, however, I will advise you in keeping an open mind, because many poster on this forum have a preconceived bias and a very somber outlook towards the DR, and it clearly reflects on their general writing of this place.

The caribbean melting pot is promising! I think next year I will come down a rent a condo for a couple weeks in a community I feel appealing. Probably the best way to figure out where you would like to live no?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The caribbean melting pot is promising! I think next year I will come down a rent a condo for a couple weeks in a community I feel appealing. Probably the best way to figure out where you would like to live no?
Good idea, I'll do the same.

JJ

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Multi-Curltural or Multi-National

Hi:

I am an American living in Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. This is a very unique area in the DR. Here you have about 4000 French, a large population of Italians, Germans, Dutch, English, Canadians and of course, Dominicans and Haitians. You have a very integrated community with Spanish and French spoken widely. The European influence is found in the food, the culture and some of the services that are available here. It is a great place to live and work. In addition this area probably has some of the nicest beaches in the Country. With the addition of the new highway from Santo Domingo to this area it is around 2hrs and 15 mins and that time will be reduced by another 30 min. when the new spur of the road from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas opens this year. WestJet and Air Canada fly into El Catey which is only 45 minutes away. Check out this area, I think you will be pleasantly surprised on what you will find.

S

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I disagree. Property is largely illiquid here. It's easy to buy but extremely hard to sell, and really isn't appreciating much...in the touristy areas anyway.

Additionally, you'd be hard pressed to make a financial argument of buying vs. renting here, especially with lease laws so skewed toward the tenant.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
uhmm........I am French Steve, and I wouldn't call LT integrated, quite the contrary.To tell you the truth, I believe North Americans tend to integrate more when they live in foreign countries.

French pretty much live among themselves. I went out on several occasions with groups of expats and every one was French except for the occasional novio (a).I Know plenty of French expats who speaks a little Spanish (although it is relatively easier for them to learn); most have met did not have any real Dominican friends. Also, services with Euro influences is largely out of the reach for Terreneros.

But, I agree with you. It is a stunning area and a great place to vacation.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeFisher

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

You are right, DR1 is a tremendous resource. In fact if you Google or Bing just about anything about the Dominican Republic DR1 will be among the top search results and that says a mouthful.

I completely understand your enthusiasm. I booked my second trip as soon as I got home from the first one and I was back in 6 weeks. That was dozens of trips ago and I still hold a very strong love for the country but my enthusiasm can best be described now as guarded optimism. I have made friends there that I hope will be friends well into the future and have developed my comfort zones even though there's still a lot of the country that I have yet to discover. As a result, my trips will tend to become fewer but longer in duration with multiple stops planned.

I would offer you this advice. Go slow and with each step check the ground under your foot before you put your weight on it. Many other have posted advice not to rush into buying real estate and I heartily endorse their recommendations. The most important things that I have learned in all my trips there is how to not look at my watch and how to see what's right in front of my face. We from the colder climates tend to prioritize where we're going over where we are. To be successful there we must unlearn this tendency.