Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito Repellers/Zappers?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mosquito Repellers/Zappers?

I'm sure this topic may have come up on here somewhere before...

We have just moved to a (brand) new apartment - lucky us, but we are pretty much surrounded by vegetation (again-lucky us).

Right now we are being besieged by the little buggers - the screens SEEM effective??

Anyway I need some repellers.

We lived in Mexico for three plus years and had similar issues in Cozumel as it's really 'jungley'

What do you guys use? Can you get the plug-in things here (I live in Bavaro)?

Does anyone have a trapper/zapper that actually works??

All suggestions gratefully received. Hubby and I had 40 bites each one night recently! They're mean.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The quick local solution is a Mosquito net sprayed with Baygon. Also spray the room.
    Some people say the special paint they sell here is effective.
    Zappers ; outdoor type with UV tubes and attractant also in my experience work.
    Also mosqito repellant and dare I say it taking two showers/ swims daily.
    Yanandu

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

The plug-in electric bug zappers only work for Mosquitoes if you buy the "lure" to attract them to the zapper. The "Blue Light" does not attract Mosquitoes.

The "lure" is a chemical substance that attracts Mosquitoes.

Keeping the doors closed and screens on the windows will help, good luck with that, Dominicans seem to only know how to open doors, they usually don't close them as they enter/exit.

You can also buy a hand held battery operated zapper that's in the shape of a Tennis Racket.
    They are quite handy for all kinds of flying insects.

La Sirena was selling them ( Check and make sure you get one that works).

D in Tampa/Santiago

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

nothing works
    but there are few things you can do to make it better:
    1. fumigate with mosquito spray. you can do it even every night before going to bed. close your bedroom, spray, leave it like that for one hour and then you can come in, open the door, windows, whatnot.
    2. if on the ground floor spray outside. you can buy a small pump and mosquito poison, add a syringe full of that to whatever quantity of water and then spray around.
    3. use mosquito screen and mosquiteras
    4. spray yourself. there is off, of course but i prefer a dominican spray called desporte. it is greasy and god help you if any of the stuff goes near your eyes but it works. spray the body, rub it in and then pass your wet fingers around the hairline. do not touch the face, it stings. wash hands and off to bed.

Post Thanks / Like

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    The plug-in electric bug zappers only work for Mosquitoes if you buy the "lure" to attract them to the zapper. The "Blue Light" does not attract Mosquitoes.

The "lure" is a chemical substance that attracts Mosquitoes.

Keeping the doors closed and screens on the windows will help, good luck with that, Dominicans seem to only know how to open doors, they usually don't close them as they enter/exit.

You can also buy a hand held battery operated zapper that's in the shape of a Tennis Racket.
    They are quite handy for all kinds of flying insects.

La Sirena was selling them ( Check and make sure you get one that works).

D in Tampa/Santiago

Great - do you have any brand names of zappers/trappers - I'm in US next month and can pick something up there. Or buy on Amazon.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    nothing works
    but there are few things you can do to make it better:
    1. fumigate with mosquito spray. you can do it even every night before going to bed. close your bedroom, spray, leave it like that for one hour and then you can come in, open the door, windows, whatnot.
    2. if on the ground floor spray outside. you can buy a small pump and mosquito poison, add a syringe full of that to whatever quantity of water and then spray around.
    3. use mosquito screen and mosquiteras
    4. spray yourself. there is off, of course but i prefer a dominican spray called desporte. it is greasy and god help you if any of the stuff goes near your eyes but it works. spray the body, rub it in and then pass your wet fingers around the hairline. do not touch the face, it stings. wash hands and off to bed.
    I've been trying to lay off the sprays as I'm not a fan of covering myself with chemicals - after Cozumel I wonder if I've altered my DNA with the amount of 'Off' we used! Heaven help our hopefully prospective offspring!

I may get a indoor spray though - any tried and tested brands?

Thanks for the advise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by losflor View Post
    Great - do you have any brand names of zappers/trappers - I'm in US next month and can pick something up there. Or buy on Amazon.
    Home Depot / Lowes should have the electric plug-in units in stock, they also probably sell the "lure' you will need for mosquitoes. (At least in Florida, maybe not in the Northern States)

It's important to buy the mosquito lure else they are useless except for flies and other small flying insects. Mine is in the closet not being used. But then I have screens on all my windows.

OchoA in Santiago has in the past been selling the plug-in electric ones.

I am in Florida at the moment, so can not check current availability at Ochoa.

Don - SantiagoDr

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by losflor View Post
    I've been trying to lay off the sprays as I'm not a fan of covering myself with chemicals - after Cozumel I wonder if I've altered my DNA with the amount of 'Off' we used! Heaven help our hopefully prospective offspring! I may get a indoor spray though - any tried and tested brands?
    orion makes fragrance sprays (lavender, green apple). no as unpleasant as others. available in all supermarkets.
    miesposos says that having AC on or at least a a fan also helps.
    my friends bought me a thingy that you stick to clothes, that is supposed to work but have not tried yet.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

PriceSmart in Santiago has the plug in electronic product. It was almost 1,000RD but there were 6 units in the package. Nothing more to purchase. I don't know if they work. Said to repel mosquitoes cockroaches flies ants and mice/rats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast