Expats;

D

Doug McMichael

Could someone please inform me the exact meaning of "expats", I've seen it many times and can figure out it means someone who visits or lives or goes very often to the countrie in question, but I don't know what the long form of the word is nor do i know the exact meaning. I thank you in advance.....Doug

S

Sue B

Expats, I believe is short for ex patriots. I'm certain someone can give you a precise historical meaning. Most people use it to refer to someone from a certain country who lives in another. For example there are many expatriot Canadians who now live in the Dominican (we call them lucky canucks). I'll not be offended if anyone can improve on or correct my interpretation.

T

Tom

Re: Expats;/Encarta definition

ex?pa?tri?ate noun [eks p?ytree t , eks p?ytree ?yt ] (plural ex?pa?tri?ates)

1. somebody who has moved abroad: somebody who has left his or her homeland to live or work in another country, usually for a long period of time

2. somebody without citizenship: somebody who has renounced his or her citizenship or whose citizenship has been revoked

adjective [eks p?ytree t , eks p?ytree ?yt ]
relating to those living abroad: relating to people who live outside their own country

verb [eks p?ytree ?yt ] (past ex?pa?tri?at?ed, past participle ex?pa?tri?at?ed, present participle ex?pa?tri?at?ing, 3rd person present singular ex?pa?tri?ates)

1. intransitive verb settle abroad: to settle in another country

2. transitive and intransitive verb take away somebody's citizenship: to deprive somebody of native citizenship, or renounce native citizenship voluntarily

3. transitive verb expel somebody from his or her own country: to send somebody away from his or her own country as a punishment

[Mid-18th century. From Latin expatriat- , past participle stem of expatriare , literally "to leave your native land," from patria "native land," from pater "father."]

ex?pa?tri?a?tion [eks p?ytree ?ysh'n ] noun

E

ECH, M.D.

EX PATRIATE IS NOT = TO EX PATRIOT.

Well, I will correct your definition.....
Patriot is NOT the same as patriate...

An EX patriate can still be a patriot!
See Tom's definition above FOR patriate see below for patriot.

pa?tri?ot (ptr-t, -t)
n.

One who loves, supports, and defends one's country.

T

Tom

Re: EX PATRIATE IS NOT = TO EX PATRIOT.

Unfortunately mnay people use Ex-Patriot when they mean Ex-Patriate

D

Doug McMichael

Well; Thank You very much, This is a prime example of why i love this board so much, it is so informative so quickly. Thanks to all that answered my question and thanks to Ron and Delores for such a great board! I had my question answered without anybody thinking or assumming or indicating that I was a dummy for not knowing.

D

Doug McMichael

Sorry i meant rob