burglury spree

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
I didnt know whether to put this in Legal or Living but i need some advice.

My novia lives in Santo Domingo with her 2 brothers, and her daughter. The boys are barely 18 so they are still pretty young. they do not own a gun. they live in a barrio called las acacias. I have been to the area many times and never really felt any danger even though she says it is not the best area. I can see her concerns at night.

She lives on a 3rd floor of a apartment. They do not have a watch(y)man. Their parking lot isn't gated in. Over the last 2 months there has been a rash of burglaries in her apartment building. Today was the 3rd apartment. The apartments have gated front doors, and so is the main entrance but clearly someone has a key to get in.

Ok here is the question....
They do not bother to call the police. They say the police are probably in on it, and the owner doesnt care. What can the tenants of the apartment do? (other than move out)

I feel for her because she works all day and she has a young child. I tell her to go to the police, and if that doesnt work, go to the police captain, then local politician, and keep going up. There has to be something they can do. The tenants are mostly working class families with children.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mike l

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Move out

Forget complaining to the police. There is so much of this type of crime that they cannot keep up. Small crimes against property do not get any attention. Find another apartment where people are at home during the day. Thieves target apartments where no one is home much of time. They first watch the location and know when an apartment is empty. You will not win against these guys!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She could call Z101FM and talk to the people at El Gobierno de la Ma?ana or El Gobierno de la Tarde and voice her complaint.

If she gets to voice her complaint, action might be taken. She can go to the radio station, and get on the air. She can invite one of the hosts to see where she lives and get support.

HB

Reactions: MikeFisher

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's happening, unfortunately, all over Santo Domingo. Not only that neighborhood.

One of my husband's brothers lives in a very nice condo in El Million, second floor, all fully protected with decorative ironwork. Around 4-5 a.m. someone climbed up the 2nd floor, cut through one of the bars and removed it, and was thin enough to climb in. The thief actually had the nerve to enter their bedroom while they slept and took jewelry and cash. Never went into the kids rooms.

The month before the apartment below them was robbed, while they were sleeping. A week after he was robbed, another apartment was burgled across the courtyard. Now their ironwork is all double secure, but it's hard to get over being robbed, especially knowing they were there while they slept.

Scary times

AE

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
inside job

My experience with home invasions, is that almost all the time it is an inside job, meaning someone knows the complex and/or has access. I would suggest following the previous posts and changing the locks. Also, talking with other tenants to discuss who currently works in and around the building. A private investigator may also prove helpful if only to send a message that the tenants are aware and proactive. I hope this trend changes and all are safe - thoughts and prayers are with you!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
my experience is that is usually the same people robbing the same building, for sure in the novias case. once the ladrones get familiar with a building they keep going back for more. it also doesn't matter what they steal, today could be a TV, tomorrow it could be the propane tank, even a ceiling fan, whatever they steal has a ready market, people waiting to buy at a good price. there are no "used " stores in the DR, no salvation army store, no goodwill, everything has value. i saw a guy trying to sell two used screwdrivers once. i have also found that if there is a burglary and the building has a watchman, quachyman, wachyman, then he is in on it, there will be more burglaries, it is time to fire the watchman. i've also found that it is common for someone to always be home, my wifes' family is quite large, nine bothers and sisters, plus cousins, kids of sisters and cousins, old uncles, same as a lot of dominican families. it's not spoken about but as a rule someone is always home, always. but don't leave the backdoor open when sitting in the living room even if you're home, thieves have come in and stolen the clothes iron from the kitchen table along with a pair of scissors. i feel bad for the victims but i do have some sympathy for the crooks because they are truly desparate. that pair of scisssors could mean a plate of rice. so sad as this is such a great country only poverty makes it tough.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Do report this with National Police, they will send somebody as Teniente de Robos. Give him some money to investigate all. (not more then 500 pesos).
If somebody has the keys, check maintenance guys.
I will keep trying to encourage her to do so. I will offer to pay for it aswell but i doubt she will accept either option. The Police have a real bad image in that country.

Or bear traps from ebay....
Im thinking the same thing. I told her i would get her a big mean dog, but i have heard stories about dogs getting poisoned leading up the crime, so offered to buy her a actual bear (jk) to protect the apartment. I wonder where if there are any bears in D.R.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
She could call Z101FM and talk to the people at El Gobierno de la Ma?ana or El Gobierno de la Tarde and voice her complaint.

If she gets to voice her complaint, action might be taken. She can go to the radio station, and get on the air. She can invite one of the hosts to see where she lives and get support.

HB

Thank you HillBilly. this is the kind of thing i am looking for. I know people do not trust the police, or govt but they have to start somewhere. They have to have a forum to voice their opinion and work to be heard. Unfortunatly she isnt this type of person, even though it is natural to her. She is a "encantadora", smart, and has great values, but she has no interest in being politcal, or getting involved grassroots movements. Too bad because it comes natural to her.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Two Measures That Dominicans Use!

Someone in the family ALWAYS Stays Home
Big Mean DOGS
Dominicans FEAR BIG DOGS!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You just can't solve all dominican problems. You fix one and 10 more problems are waiting for you to solve. Its hard as is to solve problems of the medium class dominicans who live in nicer residential areas but to solve problems of dominicans who are poor and live in barrios...god help you. Its a bottomless pit. To start off: they have kids and never a man in the house, no education or a college degree that will get her a 10-15k pesos job / month. He/she lives in dangerous areas where robberies are daily events. He/she will always have problems with cell phone: no charge, robbed, fell down, damaged, no minutes, no signal blah blah.
The moral of this post is: stay away from poor and desperate dominicans and your life will be much more trouble free. Unfortunately, I see 95 percent of foreigners only date this type and then complain.
Good luck.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
515ML8JuVeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This must be the official Leonel Fernandez Bear,
instead of Blue, the Flag is Purple!​

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Someone in the family ALWAYS Stays Home
Big Mean DOGS
Dominicans FEAR BIG DOGS!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We had one of those. Someone threw a poisoned meat over the fence. I know BelgianK said you can train dogs not to eat from anyone but you, but sounds difficult and not easy if you don't live there year-round.

AE

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
it has to start somewhere

Have you ever heard the expression, "let sleeping dogs lie" or "don't try to reinvent the wheel"

Listen to AZB. Go with the flow.

i'm not trying to fix all the countries problems. There is a solution to the problems, and people need to know change is possible. I remember when new york city was a dump, bryant park looked like a jail, times square looked worse than any other country's red light district, the subway was one of the scariest places to be, etc.

Guess what, things changed. the people got someone in power to implement change and things changed. it didnt happen overnight, not everyone agreed, but it happened and the majority of people are better and happier for that

I'm not asking for a solution, on the sex tourism, the tapones, public education, electricity, etc. but people should be allowed to feel safe in in their homes. They should have options to report crimes, and have something done about it. If that's not being done then they should have a forum, and people willing to do something about it.

in this case, she doesnt want to be politically involved, which is fine but i know there are other people that would want to, and i was interested in finding out what they could do.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Your post is accurate and reasonable, I'm an ex new yorker and can identify with what you say. I too have an additional problem, I am making plans to retire in the DR and I'm getting a lot of negative input.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i'm not trying to fix all the countries problems. There is a solution to the problems, and people need to know change is possible. I remember when new york city was a dump, bryant park looked like a jail, times square looked worse than any other country's red light district, the subway was one of the scariest places to be, etc.

Guess what, things changed. the people got someone in power to implement change and things changed. it didnt happen overnight, not everyone agreed, but it happened and the majority of people are better and happier for that

I'm not asking for a solution, on the sex tourism, the tapones, public education, electricity, etc. but people should be allowed to feel safe in in their homes. They should have options to report crimes, and have something done about it. If that's not being done then they should have a forum, and people willing to do something about it.

in this case, she doesnt want to be politically involved, which is fine but i know there are other people that would want to, and i was interested in finding out what they could do.
You are forgetting, you are in dominican republic. Why do you think we have so many ghettos? We have them because this is where the poor people like to live in. Just watch what ghetto people from here do when they come back from usa with lots of cash. They build a nice house in the middle of the ghetto, exactly where they grew up. You can take a gehtto person out of the ghetto but I am not sure if its that easy to get the ghetto out of the person.
You will not change a thing here. Most likely you will go back with empty pockets. You have a lot to learn here, especially about the poverty culture of this country. After living here for so many years, I do what domninicans do: let the poor enjoy their poverty in peace. Now find yourself a girl from a middle class family who has nothing to do with living with 3 kids in a place where robbery and violence is the way of life.
AZB

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
azb..The ladies with the drama, father in jail, single mother with different fathers, part time prosty,tigre ex boyfriend that still calls, always in desperation..are the ones readely available.
The better class of girls you mentioned, in most cases will have nothing to do with occasional turistas ,btw did you like L.A. fashion center??

Reactions: Celt202

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
. Just watch what ghetto people from here do when they come back from usa with lots of cash. They build a nice house in the middle of the ghetto, exactly where they grew up. You can take a gehtto person out of the ghetto but I am not sure if its that easy to get the ghetto out of the person.

This is how neighborhoods are turned around. Through re-investment. There's nothing "ghetto" about that, just ask the folks who are getting rich re-investing in Harlem, NY and South East Washington, DC. What could possibly be wrong with financially investing into a community which you are already culturally and emotionally vested in?

The OP obviously cares about the "novia" so suggesting that he toss her and get a more financially suitable partner may just be the most soulless and hard hearted response offerred to date and by it's very nature it shouldn't merit consideration, expecially in light of the fact that she doesn't seem to have done anything in particular to violate his affection for her.

I would suggest that if the OP really cares for his "novia" that he should consider looking for a rental property for her in a better area and subsidizing the difference. It's aggravation insurance. If he cares enough about her to worry for her safety in the present living arrangement then this is the only sensible alternative. I just hope she proves worthy of his trust.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
You are forgetting, you are in dominican republic. Why do you think we have so many ghettos? We have them because this is where the poor people like to live in.

Just watch what ghetto people from here do when they come back from usa with lots of cash. They build a nice house in the middle of the ghetto, exactly where they grew up. You can take a gehtto person out of the ghetto but I am not sure if its that easy to get the ghetto out of the person.

You will not change a thing here. Most likely you will go back with empty pockets. You have a lot to learn here, especially about the poverty culture of this country. After living here for so many years, I do what domninicans do: let the poor enjoy their poverty in peace. Now find yourself a girl from a middle class family who has nothing to do with living with 3 kids in a place where robbery and violence is the way of life.
AZB

azb..The ladies with the drama, father in jail, single mother with different fathers, part time prosty,tigre ex boyfriend that still calls, always in desperation..are the ones readely available.
The better class of girls you mentioned, in most cases will have nothing to do with occasional turistas ,btw did you like L.A. fashion center??

No one said she is a poor person. Her neighborhood is a working class neighborhood. She goes to college, and has a job were she isnt wearing booty shorts or fetching coffee. Her parents are working class people in their town. This isnt deep in los rios, or los minas. This is about 50 meters from parque mirador sur and ave anacaona.

The reason i never mentioned any of these things is because it shouldnt be a used as a excuse. Whether a person is a puta, campo chic, or living in the ghetto etc. they should still have the ability to feel safe in their home. in this individual's case she doesnt have a 'man' in the house to shoot the crooks, or throw them a beating. Her parents are in their hometown, and her brothers are too young (probably to inmaduro).

@porkM
BTW the better class girls will hang out with the occasional tourista. You just have to know how to meet them. You arent going to meet them @classicos or DomCupid.