help with road trip of north coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa albertson

Jun 16, 2009
I am interested in help in driving directions for a road trip from Cabarete to around the La Entrada area or so. I am interested in checking out beaches, cliffs, lagoons, caves, waterfalls and just nice scenery that not too many people know about. Here is a list I started if anyone could give some directions and add to the list of good sites that are not on the internet searches that would be great.

La boca De Yasica (off Camino Del sol?)
Yasica Jungle river tour (islabon?)
Magante (Los gringos cabanas location)
Playa grande (does this have two different sides to it?)
Caleton
Playa Rio San Juan
Preciosa
Breton area
Playa Diamante
Dudu lake and Blue Lagoon
La Entrada

Thanks for any help.

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Going west to east obviously the beaches are the left side of the road. All beaches are labelled with a brugal sign on the right side of the road. Playa Grande is great, not too many tourists. Watch the undertow but other than that, it's a highlight of the beaches. Diamond Beach is my personal fave, u can walk out pretty far. ur personal paradise. Preciosa is the other side of Playa Grande, right of, small but intimate.Plya Caleton is great, super snorkelling and in a secluded cove. My daughter finds this beach her favourite cause she can collect as many seashells as she wants. I can also watch her from the beach and not worry about her. Crystal clear water also. Watch the road in though.Dudu Lake and Blue Lagoon are the same thing but they have expanded and now have 2 freshwater ceynotes that are connected through an underwater cave system. All day in the saltwater and boy what a treat to have a dip here. Cliff jumping is here also. La entrada, i find it very windy, like cabarete. There is a nice river that flows into the ocean that is nice for wading, hence my young daughter loves this. Huge beach like Grande. If you leave at say, 9am, this trip is done at say 4-5pm depending on how much time you spend on each beach. I personally end my trip at Diamante and spend my beach time at Caleton, Grande and Diamante.
Enjoy it.

P.S The area in and around Cabrerra is beautiful. Check the statue of Virgin of Guadelupe in the mountainside.

BobtheCat

Aug 28, 2010
When you get the info, let me know. When we get there in a few weeks we are planning the same type of trip, just take off for while and explore the coast. Hope you have a good trip. BtC

Jan 17, 2009
If Playa Rio San Juan is the beach in San Juan, it is not worth going, although I would stop in Rio San Juan by Laguna Grigri, and drive around.

Just in case, your order going west to east is not correct.

Rio San Juan
Playa Caleton
Playa Grande

You may want to download a map of the DR. Here's a site with good maps downloadable in PDF. Some of your points of interest will be market; other won't.

Free maps Republica Dominicana in PDF, JPG, AI formats Dominicana GPS Garmin, maps Dominican Republic Dominicana

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
I'll be down on the 19th. FEB. I thoroughly enjoy this trip, children, seniors whatever. I'll have a van with coolers ready to go. After 10 years of doing this i have realized that research is everything. Google earth is pretty handy for this. This is a total day trip. There's is also a zoo and typical farm where the make honey, coffe, etc. between Cabarete and La Entrada. I do this on my own now with mi amigos i mi familia in the DR. but i believe i first did this with a tour company in sosua called Mel Tours. I think the itinerary is the checklist you're looking for. check their website and use their list.
Any questions, just ask away.
Dougie J.

BobtheCat

Aug 28, 2010
Here is a question, I have a place in Sosua and own a scooter, not ready to buy a car yet , is there some place to rent a car that would be reasonable in all aspects. I would like to do a few day road trip. I borrow a friends car for short trips but do not want to do that for something like this. Later. BtC

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Just where is Blue Lagoon? And can you give a little more information on the farm where you can buy local honey and fruits. I would like to go to both of these places. Thanks.

bob

lisa albertson

Jun 16, 2009
I'll be down on the 19th. FEB. I thoroughly enjoy this trip, children, seniors whatever. I'll have a van with coolers ready to go. After 10 years of doing this i have realized that research is everything. Google earth is pretty handy for this. This is a total day trip. There's is also a zoo and typical farm where the make honey, coffe, etc. between Cabarete and La Entrada. I do this on my own now with mi amigos i mi familia in the DR. but i believe i first did this with a tour company in sosua called Mel Tours. I think the itinerary is the checklist you're looking for. check their website and use their list.
Any questions, just ask away.
Dougie J.

Thanks. I have done several tours with Mel tours and had lots of fun. This time I am interested on trying stuff on my own to get familiar with things there. Can you tell me how to get to the zoo and farm..That is probably the one they show on the brochures and stuff. How would I get there driving on my own?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Here is a question, I have a place in Sosua and own a scooter, not ready to buy a car yet , is there some place to rent a car that would be reasonable in all aspects. I would like to do a few day road trip. I borrow a friends car for short trips but do not want to do that for something like this. Later. BtC

Go see Luis at L und I Car Rental. Go past Rockys, cross the intersection at Bons, and he's on the right before you get to the Waterfront Resturant.

Nice guy and reasonable prices. I got ph numbers but if you live in sosua just as easy to go see him.
Roberto

BobtheCat

Aug 28, 2010
I know where he is, I just live up the street, and I used to have my laundry done right there. I will check him out. Thanks. BtC

Status
Not open for further replies.