Leonel Fernandez flights

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Just how much does it cost the Dominican people per year all this flitting about the world by Leonel? Including I see private airplanes. Looking at where he goes and knowing what a small cog the RD is in world affairs what good does it do the RD and just how many houses in the campo would it pay for?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
YOu must know that it costs millions...and they are basically junkets...

A shame. I would like to see Pichardo come and tell us about all of the "goodies" that any of the travels has delivered. Promises and promises...But not one hotel, not one railroad, not one thing that would not cost the country an arm and a leg.

HB (JMO)

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
most of the private planes are owned by people or corporations that spend money (do business in) the DR. they are either selling something to the DR or are protecting their interests in the country. this country does not have enough money to pay for an Air Force One, so what? the president travels like a lot of US senators, bumming rides. in exchange, people see this country in a "good light", buy and build houses, set up call centers, operate in the free trade zones, loan us money. on the world stage, leonel must act more as a lobbyist and tour promotor than a president, sitting around and making laws. he's out there on the world stage hustling for a few more golf courses, so that people in the campo might get a job, building the golf course or working at one of the big banks in SD, and don't laugh because i know quite a few people who were born in the campo, went to university, and now wear suits and ties in the big city, enjoying a very nice life. travel by donkey or motoconcho is fine for the president of bolivador, maybe, but i'm not spending money in a country who's president arrives by taxi..........go leonel!!!keep us in the spotlight!!!!, so we can borrow more money.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
presidents cost money. do you think american president comes cheap?
would you like him to travel by a burrito? that would be some sight :)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
c'on Guys,
which Country's President is not Travelling to keep in touch with the Ones who bring the Money to His Country?
and as the Opposite of so many Other Presidentecitos,
Leonel is welcome everywhere without so many restrictions.
DR-Force-1 get's a permit to cross Airspace everywhere.

Mike

Reactions: waytogo

Toribio1

Nov 24, 2010
Is it worth to pay hundreads of thousands to go to Davos?

To have an idea of just the cost to participate in Davos:
Andrew Ross Sorkin: A Hefty Price for Entry to Davos - NYTimes.com

Only 20 something presidents/first ministers of the most powerful economies in the world are participating in the conference. ( I guess they can afford it or so many interests there), but DR is not really a superpower.
I hope this conference bring more jobs to DR instead of wasting taxpayer money.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Toribio....that article is tremendous. Thanks for putting it up...US$71,000 just to get in the door!! And then...............For his entourage, that will be US$500,000 plus Mr President!!! And you are telling me this makes sense????

Look, I can Understand India, but Davos, unless Gates or one of those guys is footing the entire bill is nuts...Ego trip is all I can see...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Fernandez Used To Complain About Hipolito's Excessive Travel

He makes Hipolito look agoraphobic!!

Cris ColonCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
personally i gotta say i am jealous. dude does not work and he travels all over the worls first class with tickets paid by someone else. i wish! anyone who has ever done ruta DR-europe in economy, with screaming brats and totally sloshed gringos knows what i'm talking about :(

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
personally i gotta say i am jealous. dude does not work and he travels all over the worls first class with tickets paid by someone else. i wish! anyone who has ever done ruta DR-europe in economy, with screaming brats and totally sloshed gringos knows what i'm talking about :(

Totally sloshed is the only way I can stand to be in a plane with screaming brats.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It is quite interesting and refreshing to see that public and open criticism may be levelled on the expenditure of a country's head of state. In many places this is not the case, still today in the spotlight of the world's press.
Without trying to defend excess by elected officials: in your opinion, just how far do you have to climb the ladder to be entitled to a bit of privilege?
I would imagine that being the head of a fairly progressive and reasonably democratic country should preclude the need to travel economy on a charter airline?

I have seen criticism of Mrs Obama and her , I must say, fairly meagre.excursions in Europe when compared to previous First Ladies, and ask myself,"How High do I need to get in the world to merit exclusivity?".That's as far as you can go.

Presidents of states, however selected, cannot travel cattle class with the rest of us. This would be deplorable and distracting and downright dangerous with all the loonies in the world.

From what I have seen so far, the President of the DR has not overstepped his mark on deciding where to spend his country's revenue but this is not my affair as an ex-pat, but to think of a head of state trying to negotiate an upgrade at the check-in desk conjures up an interesting 'Monty Pythonesque" sketch.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It is quite interesting and refreshing to see that public and open criticism may be levelled on the expenditure of a country's head of state. In many places this is not the case, still today in the spotlight of the world's press.
Without trying to defend excess by elected officials: in your opinion, just how far do you have to climb the ladder to be entitled to a bit of privilege?
I would imagine that being the head of a fairly progressive and reasonably democratic country should preclude the need to travel economy on a charter airline?

I have seen criticism of Mrs Obama and her , I must say, fairly meagre.excursions in Europe when compared to previous First Ladies, and ask myself,"How High do I need to get in the world to merit exclusivity?".That's as far as you can go.

Presidents of states, however selected, cannot travel cattle class with the rest of us. This would be deplorable and distracting and downright dangerous with all the loonies in the world.

From what I have seen so far, the President of the DR has not overstepped his mark on deciding where to spend his country's revenue but this is not my affair as an ex-pat, but to think of a head of state trying to negotiate an upgrade at the check-in desk conjures up an interesting 'Monty Pythonesque" sketch.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The complaining is not the level of travel,
..... but the frequency of travel.

:chinese: :alien: :laugh: :bandit: :confused: :rambo: :classic: :cool: :smoke: ;)

I know Codetel is bad,
..... but it does work!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The complaining is not the level of travel,
..... but the frequency of travel.

:chinese: :alien: :laugh: :bandit: :confused: :rambo: :classic: :cool: :smoke: ;)

I know Codetel is bad,
..... but it does work!

That is coming to an end. I wonder if he will leave Hippo a few $$$ to travel. I sort of doubt it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

On top of her 8 vacations paid for by the Public purse:
No, Michele Obama does not get paid to serve as the First Lady and she doesn't perform any official duties. But this hasn't deterred her from hiring an unprecedented number of staffers to cater to her every whim and to satisfy her every request in the midst of the Great Recession. Just think Mary Lincoln was taken to task for purchasing china for the White House during the Civil War. And Mamie Eisenhower had to shell out the salary for her personal secretary.

How things have changed! If you're one of the tens of millions of Americans facing certain destitution, earning less than subsistence wages stocking the shelves at Wal-Mart or serving up McDonald cheeseburgers, prepare to scream and then come to realize that the benefit package for these servants of Miz Michelle are the same as members of the national security and defense departments and the bill for these assorted lackeys is paid by John Q. Public:

1. $172,2000 - Sher, Susan (Chief Of Staff)

2. $140,000 - Frye, Jocelyn C. (Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of Policy And Projects For The First Lady

3. $113,000 - Rogers, Desiree G. (Special Assistant to the President and White House Social Secretary)

4. $102,000 - Johnston, Camille Y. (Special Assistant to the President and Director of Communications for the First Lady)

5. Winter, Melissa E. (Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)

6. $90,000 - Medina, David S. (Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)

7. $84,000 - Lelyveld, Catherine M. (Director and Press Secretary to the First Lady)

8. $75,000 - Starkey, Frances M. (Director of Scheduling and Advance for the First Lady)

9. $70,000 - Sanders, Trooper (Deputy Director of Policy and Projects for the First Lady)

10. $65,000 - Burnough, Erinn J. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)

11. Reinstein, Joseph B. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)

12. $62,000 - Goodman, Jennifer R. (Deputy Director of Scheduling and Events Coordinator For The First Lady)

13. $60,000 - Fitts, Alan O. (Deputy Director of Advance and Trip Director for the First Lady)

14. Lewis, Dana M. (Special Assistant and Personal Aide to the First Lady)

15. $52,500 - Mustaphi, Semonti M. (Associate Director and Deputy Press Secretary To The First Lady)

16. $50,000 - Jarvis, Kristen E. (Special Assistant for Scheduling and Traveling Aide To The First Lady)

17. $45,000 - Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (Associate Director of Correspondence For The First Lady)

18. Tubman, Samantha (Deputy Associate Director, Social Office)

19. $40,000 - Boswell, Joseph J. (Executive Assistant to the Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)

20. $36,000 - Armbruster, Sally M. (Staff Assistant to the Social Secretary)

21. Bookey, Natalie (Staff Assistant)

22. Jackson, Deilia A. (Deputy Associate Director of Correspondence for the First Lady)

There has never been anyone in the White House at any time that has created such an army of staffers whose sole duties are the facilitation of the First Lady's social life. One wonders why she needs so much help, at taxpayer expense, when even Hillary, only had three; Jackie Kennedy one; Laura Bush one; and prior to Mamie Eisenhower social help came from the President's own pocket.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Is this equivalent to the "Botella" syndrome of the DR, but on a bigger pay scale?:surprised

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lots of political payoffs there, you can be sure. First Lady Fernandez has a monthly budget of about RD$22 million ($590,000 per month = About US$7.7 million a year)...no comparison....

While I agree that Michelle has acted like a baby in a candy store, and I an shamed that she did it, remember they DO have an agenda...and lots and lots of political baggage to share out...

They are like the PRD whenthey get into power...

I like the old MIUCA or DxC....get rid of them all!!

HB